New Chair Suggestions

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: New Chair Suggestions

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jul 2018, 15:57

No. One guy had several failures. At least one other from a different guy. There was post about the same thing on a different forum too, but I cant remember which one, that linked here. And theproblem is that while the motor is the same on other chairs, the gearbox isnt. Its been shortened and has a bearing removed in order to shorten the motor to keep the chair 28.5 wide with fat tyres. It causes the bending forces to break the axle at the thin point.

One was called Deane and one called Slurpster, and one third party non member on another forum is the three I know of, and multiple times. And on both sides of the chair.

Heres one thread.
Deane: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1313&hilit=v6+gearbox+shaft
Slurpster: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1313&hilit=v6+gearbox+shaft&start=150

I may add that all of them had multiple failures. All 3 of them had heavy seating options.
Slurpster is on his 8th broken one.

Re: X5 axle problems
Postby slurpster » 05 Jun 2014, 00:53
Snapped axle number 8 on this chair. Same type of fracture on the axle, right at the step down.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 03 Sep 2018, 01:45

I just noticed the Urban and Hybrid versions of the V6 have 650w motors and the All-Terrain version has 800w. Pros and cons?
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2018, 04:33

Whats an urban and a hybrid?

Motor watts. Do not tell us anything about how powerful a motor is. Its entirely possible for a 650 watt motor to have more speed, or and more torque than an 800 watt motor.

It just tells us how much power it can sustain continuously without damage through heat for eg. So if you take a 650 watt motor, and add some cooling fins, and change nothing else it becomes an 800 watt motor. If you take the same motor, and add a plastic cover, or put your sweatband around the motor, it becomes a 500 watt motor. Its actual level of performance doesent change one bit. Only its ability to cool.

Heres another example. This, is a motor thats sat on my shelf, used for hobby stuff.
http://www.espritmodel.com/neu-1115-air ... otors.aspx The 1st one on the chart.
All of these are rated for 1000 watts continuous each. Its a very conservative rating. In reality we add extra cells, and run them at around 1,600 to 2,000 watts. They are all the same, with only the number of turns on the motor being different. (to run on different voltages or cell count.). Each is just over 1 inch diameter, and two of them, fits easily into a shirts top pocket...

On ANY powerchair, the amout of peak watts, such as when turning or climbing a steep hill/ramp is not determined by the motor. All decent powerchair motors will pull way more Amps than the Power Module can give. So if its got a 120A power module, then that is the thing that limits the torque. And maximum watts, occurs at 24V battery x 120A power module, per motor. Which is 2,880 Watts. Peak. That same figure applies even if you have 350 watt motors! Or 2000w motors.

So my thoughts? Without seeing the chair/motors and knowing the 4 important parameters that DO determine motor performance I have no idea. Those figures are motor impedance, stall current, free running current and motor efficiency. Those determine motor performance, not watts. Watts tell us only the continuous power level allowed and is a nominal figure best taken with a pinch of salt.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2018, 04:43

An URBAN whatever that means?

Note that this user has incorrect hand technique. Everything I suggest not to do.
Theres absolutely no way in hell that he will ever have any kind of accurate control. And so the usual impossible to steer delayed action, pudding stirrer programming is essensial. Thats why he cant even go in a straight line.

As for the motor mystery, we dont know! Its possible that they used a smaller motor, with higher impedance. They dont say. They just use the stupid marketing speak of "watts". It may be a weaker motor. Or it may be exactly the same, with a smaller gearbox that loses less heat. We cannot know.

youtu.be/qGP_xEfAZdc
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair