Crimping tool

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Crimping tool

Postby snaker » 13 Aug 2017, 03:45

I found this cheap crimper. My purpose is just to barely crimp ring terminals (barrels?) before soldering. Can it be used for that purpose?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Adjusting- ... Sw5cNYS8zw
snaker

Re: Crimping tool

Postby FourLions » 13 Aug 2017, 09:56

i think this would be better and more control , cheeper to http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handle-Crimper- ... Sw3h1ZW2Vg
Loving my Quickie F55s every day i use it :)
FourLions

Postby snaker » 13 Aug 2017, 10:52

The self-adjusting crimper above does not suit ring terminals. I missed it.
snaker

Postby ex-Gooserider » 15 Aug 2017, 02:24

In my strong opinion, it is NOT POSSIBLE to make an acceptable crimp on the commonly used insulated barrel terminals we see on AWG 10-20 wire with ANY "pliers" type non-ratchet crimper... With a ratchet style crimper and decent quality crimps, it is easy to make a good quality crimp that does not require solder...

You won't find a technical data sheet that says otherwise, all will call out a ratchet type crimper as REQUIRED tooling, and not recommend soldering. Where those connectors are allowed on mil-spec gear, they are crimped, not soldered....

Many years back a former employer set out a demo to prove it - some of the less experienced techs were asking why we had to use the fancy expensive ratchet crimpers, when you could get a plier-style for short bucks at any hardware store... He set out the challenge for everyone to bring in their favorite plier crimpers and put them to the test... Make crimps using the pliers and test them on the pull-test machine, alongside ratchet crimped connectors... Ratchet crimped connectors passed, no problems, but NOT ONE of the plier crimped connectors did, including the ones that were soldered as well... The wires either pulled out, or broke at the connector. The crimped connectors stayed on the wire until the wire broke, not at the connector, because the pull tester exceeded the wire tensile strength....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Diesalweasel » 07 Oct 2017, 22:07

Hi as im in the auto electrician field. I use these there made by drapa and there the expert range they do the insulated and the none insulated you can turn the ends round i paid around £30 for mine. This is the item number on ebay but you can get same ones cheaper item number 361396021686
Diesalweasel

Return to Everything Powerchair