messy tyres!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

messy tyres!

Postby duke1 » 09 Sep 2017, 15:12

hi all i just wonder as im sure im not the only one having trouble with dealing with the constant mess made by the tyres of my tinas outdoor chair this ancient but bloody well built gunter meier 6mph chair bought for less than £100 and modernised with lots of help from the good folks here but we have no outdoor area to store it so has to live in the hallway, the floors are laminate but still constantly messy and needing 3-4 times a day clean so is there a matting/floor covering of some kind i could fix down in order to clean the worst of the wheels? or do i need to invent a wheelchair wheel washing machine? :D
the chair is her legs and is covering 5-10 miles a day most days and is used on and of road and used for chasing the hounds about and nothing lifts my heart more than the smile on my tinas face as she is tearing about with the dogs and grankids etc,and then i have to clean up! any ideas peeps?
Attachments
CHAIRS 005.JPG
CHAIRS 002.JPG
duke1

Re: messy tyres!

Postby rustyjames » 09 Sep 2017, 22:30

I can only offer two solutions, transfer into another chair, or stay out of the dirt :D.
rustyjames

Postby duke1 » 09 Sep 2017, 23:06

rustyjames wrote:I can only offer two solutions, transfer into another chair, or stay out of the dirt :D.

sadly no chance of either! but i do have an idea to apply to our housing association for permission to build a small shed just outside the front door with power for the charger but atm our funds are to depleted and we dare not risk having the chair stolen as she would never forgive me! we have had so much rain that every route from our house involves muddy tracks and slippery cambers so very mucky for the chair and also the cut grass from the local park sticks like glue to tyres and then dries and covers the floor,right of to design a wheelwasher,i feel a patent coming on!peace :D
duke1

Postby expresso » 10 Sep 2017, 17:31

Best thing you can do at least is wipe the chair down before entering your home - quick wet rag - do as much as you can - if you have a hose to hose the tires if they are that bad or just a wipe down - try to wet them in water if you can

if you have a spare older chair to use in the home only - that would be best - the outdoor chair gets used - cleaned before entering - then transfer to indoor only chair - while parking the outdoor chair cleaned already and charge it this way

put something on the floor where you will will leave it indoors to charge - if you have a spare chair for indoors - this can help - if not - best thing is to try to clean it best you can before you enter inside -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Rollin Positive » 13 Sep 2017, 19:46

Stick with medical branded tires Primo or Kendra blacks non marking!!

http://enableyourlife.com/sub-category. ... By=&pgID=2

http://enableyourlife.com/sub-category. ... By=&pgID=1

http://enableyourlife.com/

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/

Also get use to finding some water to run through, gutter, wet grass and then roll on grass as you get close to home cleans street grime real simple!

We have a long outdoor rug in our garage that drys the tires as I roll in.

Or spend a fortune..

http://software.inn2care.com/?page_id=30

youtu.be/FjZtid6PHGU
Rollin Positive

Postby Burgerman » 13 Sep 2017, 19:49

Its mud, not tyre markings that he has issues with. He wants a cleaner of some kind.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 19 Sep 2017, 03:03

I've occasionally thought of doing something like that - wouldn't be that hard to make a home brew version... Only problem I see is that it pretty much needs to be outside, which means freezing will be an issue...

That design also looks like it would waste a lot of water - billable, and might run into issues with use restrictions. I could see having a tank with the roller driving a pump to recirculate the water (which could have soap added to it...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2017, 09:28

I have a hose pipe in my driveway. While fresh mud just rinses away easily without effort.
Easier and faster than the video above and rinses the whole tyre and anywhere else that the road muck or mud goes. Frame, casters, etc. Dont be worried about a little water. You can easily do this sitting in a chair.

I dont recommend you do this below however unless you are very confident and know how stuff works. Just do tyres and any muddy/dirty parts with less pressure, while sitting in it.

Extreme version! Old chair. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/pdf-files/hose.mov
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 19 Sep 2017, 23:09

I typically stay out of mud, but when I do I just rinse right away with the hose as well. Most of the time the tire thread picks up some dirt that I just hit with a stiff brush before going in the house. I actually prefer my tires to be worn smooth :mrgreen:
rustyjames

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2017, 10:28

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 20 Sep 2017, 23:22

^^^That's a really good option.
rustyjames

Return to Everything Powerchair