Quickie Salsa m2 and new motability car

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quickie Salsa m2 and new motability car

Postby Parrotlady » 15 Sep 2017, 02:16

Hi, to cut a long story short, NHS wheelchair service issued me with the Salsa m2 3mths ago. I already have a Ford S Max on the motability scheme. I have an electric hoist in the boot for my old wheelchair, but, I am told I need one that can hold the much heavier weight of the m2. I spoke to motability who advised I would be better off getting a new vehicle with the correct size hoist in it. Being a woman I have little or no interest in cars other than getting from A to B.
Does anyone here have any ideas for a car with big enough boot to get my wheelchair in with a hoist?
Parrotlady

Re: Quickie Salsa m2 and new motability car

Postby Burgerman » 15 Sep 2017, 03:03

These things, driveway, chair/car type, house accessibility, storing, charging etc all need to work together. Should be planned as one big thing.

Are you planning to change the car? Do you need to drive from a chair in the future? Or travel in it seated? Or just interested in transporting it? Does it need to be new? Does it need to be on the motabilityscheme because thats almost always a bad idea!

Ebay is full of adapted wheelchair accessible vehicles that make drive on off wheelchairs easy. So as new, some cheap and cheerful.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Parrotlady » 15 Sep 2017, 11:48

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes I plan to change my car. I have no choice but to use the motability scheme.

I transfer from wheelchair to sit in drivers seat. My husband or carer hoists the wheelchair into the boot of the car.

I'm bored with the Ford S Max, but because the Quickie Salsa is heavy and larger than my previous wheelchair, I need to find a car that has a big enough boot opening to get the Salsa inside with a hoist fitted. I can fold the back of the seat down but that's it. Any ideas?
Parrotlady

Postby sad_vampire » 15 Sep 2017, 12:09

As long as your husband is able to do all the messing around:

With the back of the chair folded down, SEAT Alhambra, VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy. Take measurements & check as with the hoist they may still be marginal on height.

With the back of the chair upright, Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Ford Tourneo Connect. Again, check measurements.

Using a ramp instead of a hoist, possibly Citroen C4 grand picasso, but it's very tight on height on most powerchairs even with the back folded down.

Forget any of the SUVs such as the Ford Kuga, because the height of the boot lip above the ground makes them unsuitable for ramps.

Alternative is to get a dropped floor vehicle with a ramp, a WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle), and do things properly.

As BM says above, check ebay, they have some excellent WAVs, usually low mileage Berlingo/Partner with all the modifications.
sad_vampire

Postby Burgerman » 15 Sep 2017, 13:00

Also...
I have no choice but to use the motability scheme.

Theres always choice. Thats just a bad way to acquire a car. Its only for those with more money than me...
And you start again all over every 3 years. And never own anything. Crazy way to budget if you ask me!

Anyway your choice.

But think about the future. You may not always have your husband handy. Or worse, at all.
You would be far better served by something that you can drive a wheelchair straight in, and turn the key and go. No transferring. Its easier, and faster. And gives you freedom from needing help, or relying on anyone. Independence.

Take a look at this for eg. I bought this 11 years ago. Its as good as new, unmarked. Cost me 30K (20k from my old one, saved 10k up). And I have been pocketing the £55 mobility allowance ever since. As I did on the previous one. Thats £31,460 in my pocket. The van is then actually free! Plus a 1,460 profit. And I still have it, and its still like new. Yes theres £280 a year insurance, and over that time no maintenance whatever, and only 4 oil / filter changes to pay for. And its still worth a fair bit too! To offset the next one.

Pic ramp up. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... n-1200.jpg
Pic ramp down. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... p-1200.jpg

Heres some pics from last year when was it 10 years old. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6937
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Parrotlady » 15 Sep 2017, 23:22

sad_vampire wrote:As long as your husband is able to do all the messing around:

With the back of the chair folded down, SEAT Alhambra, VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy. Take measurements & check as with the hoist they may still be marginal on height.

With the back of the chair upright, Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Ford Tourneo Connect. Again, check measurements.

Using a ramp instead of a hoist, possibly Citroen C4 grand picasso, but it's very tight on height on most powerchairs even with the back folded down.

Forget any of the SUVs such as the Ford Kuga, because the height of the boot lip above the ground makes them unsuitable for ramps.

Alternative is to get a dropped floor vehicle with a ramp, a WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle), and do things properly.

As BM says above, check ebay, they have some excellent WAVs, usually low mileage Berlingo/Partner with all the modifications.

Thank you for you reply Vampire. You've been very helpful. I shall take a look at the cars you mentioned.
Parrotlady

Postby Squirrel » 15 Oct 2017, 20:29

Hi, I stumbled across this page when searching for a new seat for my Quickie Salsa M2 - randomly! But I wanted to offer some help - I have not too long been through the process of having to get a new motability vehicle to fit this specific wheelchair - and it took a while. So if it saves you any hassle...

As I said, I have a Quickie Salsa M2 - but mine also has the rehab seat and tilt function, so possibly it may be slightly bigger or heavier than the model you have.

After trying loads of vehicles, unsuccessfully... I ended up getting a Ford Galaxy. As you have the Max already, you probably would find it really easy to get used to. The chair fits in the boot via a hoist. Because mine is quite a tall back, I have to get someone to remove the pins in the back of the wheelchair back and fold it down to fit. They also unscrew the arms and to stow it, and take the foot plates off. It sounds a lot - but takes my PA/carer around 4 minutes now after some practice!
It fits perfectly in the back with the very rear seats folded down. The bonus is I can still carry a passenger up front AND three in the back as well as those seats don’t need to move to accommodate it.

Depending on your needs, it might be worth looking at the Titanium X trim of the Galaxy, as when I had mine it was the same advance payment as the Titanium, but came with hands free tailgate option and rear camera, which is really handy when a massive wheelchair is blocking the view from the back!

I’ve had the car for a month now and I do really like it. It doesn’t feel anywhere near as large as it is, to drive. Is easy to manoeuvre (the X model comes with the fancy hands free parking thing - which still terrifies but amazes me!). I did also nearly go for the VW Touran, but in the end, the measurements were too tight for the hoist. I’m relieved because in hindsight that car wasn’t as ‘nice’ to drive IMO!

Good luck, I hope you get the right thing for you.
Squirrel

Postby js1971 » 02 Jan 2018, 00:53

Burgerman wrote:These things, driveway, chair/car type, house accessibility, storing, charging etc all need to work together. Should be planned as one big thing.

I can second that - Im looking at a new car, new wheelchair and alterations for the house (lift, wet room), large open plan ground floor.

The problem im having is trying to get the car and wheelchair together and its like the chicken and the egg, Motability won't move forward until I get the chair, and im trying to get a grant for the chair, and they won't do it without NHS assessment , Nihghtmare.

I tried initially looking at keeping my X1 with a hoist, but was told I would have to strip it down each time, taking 5-10 mins which I thought if Im committing to this for 5 years , this is not how I want to do it - my health worsened within 9 months so im not sure where ill be in 5 years - but to keep independent, I dont think id want to be hoisting any wheelchair (or via PA) in the rain, as I expect I would resent it and end up not going out - which would defeat the point. So long 3 months conversations short, no hoist!!
js1971

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jan 2018, 01:02

Yes big plan. All for the future. All to work together. But Motability would definitely play no part in it if it was up to me. I certainly couldnt afford that! Stupid pricing. Never get to own it. Start again all over again with new pay and new deposit every few years. And WCS? Hopeless. Their assessement is there to rule out as many things as they can and offer you either nothing, a manual chair, or a super basic motorised deck chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 02 Jan 2018, 01:12

Second what BM just wrote. Like you, JS, and I guess many others who find themselves in need, I also had no option but to buy a chair while waiting many months for WCS to get their act together. The service is a disgrace, but to be fair, when I did eventually get an assessment they were very helpful, just over worked and grossly underfunded. However the chair they offered was crap compared to the Puma 40 I'd bought from ebay so I rejected it. That was a silly move. I should have taken it as a back-up - but it wouldn't have had a lot of use as the Puma has never let me down.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jan 2018, 11:54

Yet. Sooner or later all chairs will fail one way or another. Re contact them, tell them you changed your mind.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair