PSU - Info

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PSU - Info

Postby expresso » 09 Nov 2017, 17:52

i leave it up to the pros to build it - cost wise isnt a big difference - maybe cheaper to buy it done anyway

i emailed them - but thinking it over - i believe it would be close to double the total to have it shipped i bet - curious to see what they say and how much - most likely just easier and cheaper to buy the same one i have here already - another one - but i see what they say first -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 11 Nov 2017, 15:53

expresso wrote:i like the Coolice one - 100A - too bad the shipping would cost alot i would think - coming from UK to US ? i be curious to ask - how much it would cost total - i like to have another 24V on hand -

If you haven’t emailed him yet, I inquired about getting the coolice too. I’m in Nova Scotia Canada, so not sure how different the shipping cost would be for US. Here’s the info I received from Ian at Coolice. .

This was in August, so prices may have changed & it’ll be different for different countries of course but it might give a ballpark idea.

“The price of the 2400 watt units is £105 without the protection circuit and £125 with, posted in the UK. There is £10 gbps of post included in this price, so whatever extra it costs to ship to you in Canada we would just add on top. I’d assume another £15 ~ £20 without knowing your full address to obtain a quote from.

I do provide a twin Y AC lead in the price, but it would come with a UK 3 pin plug, so to make it neater than using an adaptor I’d leave this to you to snip the UK plug off and wire in a US style plug.”

“I’ve just checked the pricing to post to you in Canada and using the cheapest option, but insured for the full cost adds another £20 to the price. So the total would be £145 gbp’s posted to you.”
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 11 Nov 2017, 16:29

they got back to me - but not with a total price - i am not sure what those costs mean to me in the US - In dollars - but i am figureing closer to $200 total - maybe in the end - its not so big a deal - i wait to hear back - may just get another one i have here - i dont NEED a 100A model - since they had it - i would take it - i would be just fine with 60A model here also - and smaller footprint -

but they are nice - seem to be build well - i see what they say - they can ship it for sure - so its an option
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 11 Nov 2017, 19:35

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/con ... GBP&To=USD

Right now it’s Roughly $1.32US for every £1.00, (32% more) so if your total quote is similar to mine, you’re looking at around $192 us. Although PayPal has slightly different exchange rates & I’m pretty sure they charge around 2.5% for paying in different currency. So total cost is going to be slightly higher.
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 11 Nov 2017, 22:35

maybe its not such a big deal after all to have that one :) i havnt heard back yet - but i should have figured and just assumed its about double in costs -

i can take my chances with the same ones i have already - for half the cost with shipping 60A - and a bit more compact also - since mines is going to sit on my Kitchen table with the PL 8 all the time :D

i am sure those are heavy duty in built - parts etc, - at 100A models - but then what about warranty if any - if it arrives DOA - then what - have to ship it back at whos cost then ?
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 12 Nov 2017, 02:21

Ya that’s what worried me. So I bought an efuel 1200w 50A PSU from a local hobby shop. It’s enough power for me. Now I just have to figure out how to use it all. Lol I’m looking for BMs single cell preset. I want to charge 6 cells at a time in parallel for the first charge, then store for 4 weeks. Do I need a special preset for that?
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 12 Nov 2017, 03:52

what cells are you using ?

i have a single cell setting if you want - let me find and post it

i used this one for a Single Cell -
expresso

Postby shirley_hkg » 12 Nov 2017, 04:07

After a year with PL8 , I found ALL my battery packs (including high C rated A123 ) have better performance at discharge , though not very significant , when recharged SLOWLY

I quited fast charge and make full use of the entire overnight charging benefit .

That renders it meaningless to acquire a super powerful PSU .
drunk2
shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 12 Nov 2017, 04:26

I guess so - but i would still want to have a PSU that can handle it if i wanted to use the PL 8 to its full Cap. even if you do charge slower or overnight

i was the first year charging at 35A - 105ah pack - i was amazed how great that was - 3 to 4 hours Max from empty to full - i liked to get it done before i hit the bed and shut everything off - i feel iffy about leaving overnight - i know i do with the dumb chargers etc, - but for some reason - after i had that issue with the PL 8 - it was a bad unit - i seen flames shoot out the rear -

that left an impression on me - thinking what if overnight it happened - being that i have to control this myself - i rather do it while i am there -

but now since i have the ADD ON pack also - the pack is larger 135ah - and i charge them each on there own charger - i was able to lower the charge rate on the 105h pack down to 20A and the ADD ON at 12A - and still get it done before i hit the bed - same as before when i charged at 35A -

i guess what ever works for the person - slow or fast or in between - its just great to know you have the power if you needed it -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 12 Nov 2017, 04:42

After a year with PL8 , I found ALL my battery packs (including high C rated A123 ) have better performance at discharge , though not very significant , when recharged SLOWLY

Even if correct, shoving a lot back fast if you are waiting to go out is still advantagous. Thats odd though. I tested many hobby quadcopter lipo packs, and see identical discharge performance from a 0.1 C charge rate, right up to 8C recharge in just a few mins. Provided that a low enough termination current is set to allow them to be truly full. I did a similar test on one 12Ah headway, and charged at 40A. And at 1A. Again, no difference as long as you set a low 10mA or lower termination.

I am going to repeat this and test another cell when I get off this bed!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 12 Nov 2017, 17:15

expresso wrote:what cells are you using ?

I’m using 12ah headway cells
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 12 Nov 2017, 17:26

hotwheels_75 wrote:

i posted the single cell preset - - this can be used for what your doing - if unsure - Ask BM just in case - all my presets are from BM - i charged one at a time - dosnt take long - took me about 10 to 15 mins each cell - thats the most - Charge them one at a time - then store them - i guess you have to use up the whole day or Two if doing a full pack of cells -

i though you were doing just 6 Cells - my mistake - you want to charge 6 cells at a time - i believe the preset will be fine - but double check with BM - you may want to lower Term. point to make sure they get all full etc, i would still do them one cell at a time - takes longer i know - but you know for sure you topped each one off full - if you start early in the Morn. takes the whole day and night - you may just get it done in one day - worse case - two
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 12 Nov 2017, 17:34

Ok I’ll check out the preset you posted. I actually have 66 cells to charge. I thought you could do 6 at once in parallel group to save time. Might be just as easy to do one at a time, easier for my helpers anyway. No assembly into groups.
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 12 Nov 2017, 18:21

you can do 6 at a time if you like - i think its best to do a single cell at one time - takes much more time - but easier also - to connect - disconnect - with clips on the end - i just clip it and charge - then done - unclip - and clip another

you can do it in a day if you start very early - lets say 15 mins each cell - takes 4 cells a hour - will take 16.5 hours to do all 66 - 8 am till 12pm - if all goes well should be done - long day - but it can be done - i done mines in two days time -
expresso

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Nov 2017, 02:25

FWIW, I am cutting off that odd connector that comes on the power in side of the PL-8 and replacing it with a set of 15/30/45A Anderson Power Pole connectors (using the AWG 10 / 45A contacts of course) I put the same on all my power supplies. Gives good safe connections and an easily used 'standard'...

I also found that if you ball up a bit of solder, and shove it in along side them, you can use a standard banana plug on that odd-ball connector to make a temporary connection between a PL-8 and a power supply so you can test it before swapping to the Andersons... (A good idea, as my first one was defective, and I had to send it back for replacement - I tested the replacement before changing the plugs...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby expresso » 14 Nov 2017, 16:08

http://www.progressiverc.com/ec5-charge-cable.html

you can just get this - simple - works fine - i been using this since day one - from the charger PL 8 to the PSU - for people who find it hard to connect and disconnect a SB50 which it seems as if many of us do -

its another option for us who have a hard time with force - they are cheap enough to just buy what you need and save the time and work trying to make one -
and dont have to cut off any wires from the charger -
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Nov 2017, 16:44

I've been using my PL8 with the EC5 connector left intact without any issues, even when charging at 40A. Why not make a PP75 to EC5 short lead ex-G? That way if you have any issues with the PL8 while under warranty, you'd be able to return it unmodified.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 15 Nov 2017, 17:15

steves1977uk wrote:I've been using my PL8 with the EC5 connector left intact without any issues, even when charging at 40A. Why not make a PP75 to EC5 short lead ex-G? That way if you have any issues with the PL8 while under warranty, you'd be able to return it unmodified.

Steve

thats a good idea to just make a small extension with with ever connector you like - leaving the stock EC5 wires etc, - i dont know what the issue are with this EC 5 and why no one seems to like it - seems fine to me - works no issues - and its made already - less work - it can handle more than enough -

i have a SB50 only going to the Chair mains - and one SB50 from the pack to my chair for the ADD ON - thats it - rest is XT90 - easy small and works - can use 10AWG there also - EC5 would have worked the same in place of the XT90 -
but i get it - if someone wants to keep every single connector with the SB50 -

i would still leave the original setup -
expresso

Postby LROBBINS » 15 Nov 2017, 18:29

Goose is using a PP45 which is a lot smaller and has much lower insertion force than an SB50/PP75. On the other hand, the EC5 is a solid, small, readily available connector (e.g. from Hobby King) and is a lot more physically robust than the PP45 (of which I have broken a few).
LROBBINS

Postby expresso » 15 Nov 2017, 18:58

i think its good also - i already started with the XT90 so i continued with it - i though it was harder to make wires with the EC 5 at first - but after watching a few Youtube videos - i realize its not too bad i think - seems even easier maybe

maybe one i day i try to make a few just to learn it
expresso

Postby snaker » 16 Nov 2017, 01:31

EC5 does not look nice anymore, I cut it off at the first day I received the PL8 :argument

I am using XT90-S (anti-spark) connectors too. It's cheaper and easier to solder than SB50/PP75.
snaker

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 01:42

i like the XT90s - but i dont see whats wrong with the EC5 connector ? its easy to connect and disconnect - and fits flush nicely - but to each there own -

i am just curious why everyone feels the EC 5 is not a good enough connector - -
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Nov 2017, 02:20

steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 02:34

means nothing - all it means is the person who had so much trouble with them - didnt know how to solder them correctly - many others said they didnt have problems -

its a matter of knowing how to do it - i seen a few youtube videos and dosnt seem that bad - seems easy to add solder in them and then just heat it and lower the cable right in it -

it does talk about how to push them in the blue sleeve a certain way etc, - i never done it - so cant say how hard it would be - i went the XT 90 way with things - but see no reason to replace a EC 5 connector if its already there -

if you dont like them - and dont want to make a cable with a EC 5 ok - but its there - it works fine - why bother ? worse case you need one cable - just buy it made already if its that hard to make - :)
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2017, 02:36

My 5 different power supplies and many different voltages, and adjustable ones all have Anderson 50s on...
My 5 powerchairs have Anderson 50s on... (Some have 12V and 12+12, and 24, and 45V.)
My 5 hobby style chargers (2 hyperion, 3 PL8s) all have Anderson 50s on...
My 2 24v powerchair chargers have BOTH XLR and have Anderson 50s on...
My mower has Anderson 50s on...
My drill, my 12V soldering iron, my tyre pump, my polisher, my strimmer, all have Anderson 50s on...
My solar system, every panel, every charge controller, every link cable, battery has Anderson 50s on...
My van has two connectors, under the front wing, and under the dashboard, both Anderson 50s...
My ex GF car has one, in case I ever need power.
My BED has one, so I can run it from a chair, battery, solar, etc es required.
Theres more!

Of course I have a mass of long cables that have these on each end, as well as a low amp extension cord with one at each end in case. And an equally large bunch of adapters and other connectors for charging hobby stuff. Which is what I use those little hobby connectors for.

It then makes it possible to connect any number of things up in all sorts of ways as you may need in future, and everything will always work.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 02:37

i guess the XT90 is easier in that area of connecting them - to solder them isnt bad either - but you do have to watch the plastic cover - - 10 awg can fit

yes BM thats true and your a different breed all together - that makes sense if you have so much stuff - and you are able to use a SB50 connecting and disconnecting etc, - remember alot of use have a hard time with it -

i guess i dont do much - so my PL 8 is connected to my PSU and its for charging my chairs only - they stay there connected charger and PSU -

if thats all someone is going to do - then i see no reason to have to change the EC 5 end - if someone like you does other things with there charger and PSU -
yes makes sense to keep it all the same
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 16 Nov 2017, 23:32

expresso wrote:
hotwheels_75 wrote:

i posted the single cell preset - - this can be used for what your doing - if unsure - Ask BM just in case - all my presets are from BM - i charged one at a time - dosnt take long - took me about 10 to 15 mins each cell - thats the most - Charge them one at a time - then store them - i guess you have to use up the whole day or Two if doing a full pack of cells -

Just want to make sure I’m doing this right. I loaded the preset you posted. I’ve been charging batteries one at a time. Some finish charging on their own others seem like they’d charge forever if I let them. Like some have gone 8 mins & stop automatically... charger beeps 3 times & says charging complete. Others have gone 30+ mins until I manually hit the stop button. Does this sound normal?
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 23:59

if its going for a long time - could mean that Cell was much more discharged than the others - i have had some go for 20 - 25 mins maybe also - cant recall

are you watching the charge with the graphs ? you should do that so you know what is happening - put the ones you stopped aside for now - watch the others on the PC graphs -

you will have to redo those - maybe BM will chime in and can better guide you -

its very possible it was fine and just needed to be charged more - wasnt as full as the others - or who knows - the graphs would give you a better idea

i always use the PC - to watch it -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 17 Nov 2017, 00:02

Do use the PC! Post graphs. Charge all till they naturally reach the termination current.

I’ve been charging batteries one at a time. Some finish charging on their own others seem like they’d charge forever if I let them.
If YOU stopped them, they are not charged or you are using the wrong preset or something. Do all again.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 17 Nov 2017, 00:32

I’m using the preset that was posted by espresso. I double check each time to make sure it’s using the preset. I’ve done them all through the PC software& watch the graph each time. They all seem to start charging from 3.2 to 3.4v and shoot right up to 3.6v within 2 mins of charging then trickle charge at that level anywhere’s from 8mins to 60+...
hotwheels_75

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair