Foldawheel PW-1000XL

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Foldawheel PW-1000XL

Postby lozscotland » 28 Nov 2017, 23:54

Hi,
I have just taken delivery of this chair and so far am delighted with it. The ability to easily remove the lithium battery and charge it indoors whilst leaving the chair in my car was the biggest selling point for me as there is no level access to where I am moving to. I have one concern and wonder if anyone can help, when I put the chair on freewheel/manual mode there is still some resistance when you try to push it and a bit of a noise almost like a very quiet motor sound. My current powerchair moves very easily when on freewheel/manual mode and would run away if on any slope unless the brakes were applied. The foldawheel has no brakes on it so maybe this is why there is some resistance when on manual/freewheel?
Keep Smiling
lozscotland

Re: Foldawheel PW-1000XL

Postby Burgerman » 28 Nov 2017, 23:58

Its turning the motors. Rather than disconecting them. Probably.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby lozscotland » 29 Nov 2017, 00:32

is that ok or does that mean something is wrong?
Keep Smiling
lozscotland

Postby Burgerman » 29 Nov 2017, 00:47

I cant tell you without looking at it. If both sides are the same its likely suposed to be this way.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby lozscotland » 29 Nov 2017, 00:59

Thanks will have another look at it tomorrow
Keep Smiling
lozscotland

Postby sad_vampire » 29 Nov 2017, 04:07

Don't worry, my Foldawheel PW-1000XL does exactly the same on "freewheel", there is some resistance, both wheels the same amount.

I've been using it for over 2 years & it hasn't changed, it still has that resistance.

Only had a couple of problems with the PW-1000XL:

1. Some of the bolts came loose (the instructions tell you to check them regularly), so I did them back up. These are bolts at the hinge points where you fold the chair, keep an eye on them.

2. I managed to jolt a front tyre (tire for our american members) off the wheel whilst negotiating the rough streets in Nice, France. Panic! But I was outside a cafe, they saw what happened & came to help.
We submerged the tyre in hot water for a while then it just pushed back on. Hasn't come off since.

I think the batteries have lost a bit of capacity over the 2 years of use, but I've sourced some of the power plugs & have a LiFePO4 30Ah pack ready for it (not as an add on, as a complete replacement pack as different battery chemistry).
sad_vampire

Postby lozscotland » 29 Nov 2017, 12:44

Thank you so much for that information that is so helpful and I will pay attention to the bolts. The nearest city to me has quite a few cobbled streets so not sure how the chair will do on them but It would only be a few times a year I would need to negotiate them. Felt like being in a washing machine in my old chair so I doubt it will be any worse.
Keep Smiling
lozscotland

Postby flagman1776 » 29 Nov 2017, 17:18

If there is room for a thicker nut, the nut could be replaced with a nylock aircraft style nut. I'd choose stainless if possible. An alternative is a dot of blue locktite on the threads under the nut... it is removeable with proper tools but prevents random loosening. There are some clamps on my folding TravelScoot which are released to take down... I got tired of adjusting & locktited them in correct adjustment.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby lozscotland » 30 Nov 2017, 21:47

Thanks will pass that on to someone who is more able practically than me.
Keep Smiling
lozscotland

Postby Dave_Duggan » 14 Dec 2017, 12:11

I have had mine for about 2 1/2 years.

Agree with sad_vampire about the bolts coming loose, I find the worst are for the foot rest. They are nylock nuts but do still come loose.

I have had to replace the bearings in the front wheels, actually got wheelchair88 to send me a new set even if they aren't covered by any warranty. Also found a local engineering supplier who can provide them if I do need new ones. I suspect this was at least in part to driving too fast over cobbles and rough pavements, as one one side the bearing had completely collapsed.

I have taken mine all over the word, as I travel for work (London based), Singapore, Paris, New York, Philippines, Toronto as well as a number of cruises to the Med and Baltic states/Russia. Biggest issue with air travel is the Li-ion batteries - I have all 3 in place and my disability prevents me from easily taking them in and out. I have found that on most airlines, the chair when folded will fit into the wheelchair space in one of the plane wardrobes, it is just difficult to convince everybody of that. The batteries can then stay in as it is in the cabin, putting them into the hold is a big problem. Also means the cabin crew get it for you as soon as you land, so no waiting for it to be brought up from the hold.

I would love to find an alternative battery for this, just because of the issues with air travel.
Dave_Duggan

Postby Burgerman » 14 Dec 2017, 15:03

The alternative would be lead batteries. And these would need to be 3x the weight and size to give equivelent range. Destroying the portability of the chair which is its whole design advantage over a normal lead based powerchair. So thats not really possible.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair