New Tyres on my Puma 40

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: New Tyres on my Puma 40

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Nov 2019, 02:33

Good idea Farmer, but instead I am tapping friends for higher tech... One of the cool things about Artisan's Asylum is that we have a community full of people that are experts on all sorts of things, and that have cool tools in their personal collection as well as what is in our shops...

I put out the word that I needed help last night, and today I'm getting the wheel laser scanned and measured - of course it's a lower tech scanner so its probably only going to be accurate to about 0.1mm or so, but I figure that should do... :ugeek:

I may go back to the cardboard technique as well if I need to verify....

But I am about as certain as I can be until I get the scan results that the bolt circle on the wheels I have is MUCH less than 92mm... I don't like the way I had to make the measurements for accuracy, but I got the same results using two different techniques and tools - between 88 and 90mm...

In the meantime, I just got trained up on our powder coating gear - now waiting for my test parts to cool... (If you think watching paint dry is exciting, you should try watching it melt.....)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby ex-Gooserider » 19 Nov 2019, 00:25

Well I got the laser scan done, but it is turning out to be non-trivial to actually get measurement numbers off of them... So I have fallen back on Farmer's suggestion of transfer punching the pattern - as best I can measure it at this point, it looks like 90mm +/- 0.2mm for the bolt circle diameter, on two different sets of punch marks.... :cussing So now I'm redoing the model etc...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby shirley_hkg » 19 Nov 2019, 02:28

Taking 6mph wheelchair to rocket science level. :chillpill
shirley_hkg

Postby ex-Gooserider » 02 Dec 2019, 23:14

Well it took some doing, but the laser scan seems to confirm the numbers I got from more mundane uses of transfer punches.... I also dug the second pair of wheels out of storage, and they seem to have the same spacing.... Or at least the punched parts I made line up OK by eye....

Measuring the punch marks w/ a caliper I got 90mm +/- a little as best I could tell. The laser scan gave me 89.737mm on one axis and 89.544 on the other, letting F360 pick out the hole centers....

It looks pretty emphatic that the bolt circle on these wheels is 90mm diameter, not the 92.5 that BM had on his wheels....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby ex-Gooserider » 17 Dec 2019, 04:46

Another update - I cut metal on Friday to make the hubs - they seem to have come out very nicely... A friend did some videos so hope to be able to post some machine pron soon...

I have tapped and installed the helicoils in the bolt holes - with a bit of permanent grade loctite #262, so they aren't coming out....

Now all I need to do is powder coat them and will be ready to install....

Downside is that my van has lost it's air suspension (AGAIN :cussing banghead :thumbdown: ) so I'm going to lose a day getting that fixed, and I also managed to break a tooth last week and am going to be getting hit with about $3500 in dental bills hanged (insurance doesn't cover root canals and crowns, just extractions and cleaning....) , not to mention more lost time getting that taken care of as well....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair