pin out on on Perry Giles joy stick anyone

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

pin out on on Perry Giles joy stick anyone

Postby wilsonintexas » 11 Dec 2017, 00:05

I am still in Alaska, and things have been crazy.
My daughter is finally getting here spinal stimulator implant back in Dec 15th.... so things may be getting be3tter.

Preparing for the drive down south with a large dog that needs more walking than I can give, led me to a strange use for a
segeay mini pro that I had the chance to buy at a good price.

have turned into a "Mule" for a wheelchair.
I will post amore on it later.... (If I find the time.)

I basically have it working, but do not like the control stick that I came up with.

It turns out that the controller is hall effect sensors.... for both the right and left and forward and back motions. I have the specs, I know that it is a 5 volt supply on the connector and I think that the voltage is 2.5 mid range, but the high end is not quight 4. I have the spec someplace.

I am pretty sure all I need is a joy stick that will give a 2.5 volt neutral position and I can rewire the Segway to a joy stick.

From previous dumpster diving, I have a Perry Giles Pilot D49637/8a joy stick with the 2 pig tails at the end.

I hope that I can tap into the joy stick and get to the joy stick wires without tearing the whole thing apart.

I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have the pin out for the joy stick?

2) There is a program port....... can I program the joy stick itself, or is the program port really passing through the joy stick to the controller?

3) If I can program the joy stick, can someone point me the wiring cable I would need. It looks like a 2 wire jack similar to a microphone cord.

Thanks again.

I know I drip in here once in a while with strange requests. I always appreciate the support.
wilsonintexas

Re: pin out on on Perry Giles joy stick anyone

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2017, 00:25

The joystick module itself is 5v supply, and has two outputs. These swing 1.2v about the centre point of 2.5v. The complete joystick pod, has a digital complex output thats no use to you.

I would think you need a 5v joystick, with 0.5 to 4.5v swing, and a 2.5V centre such as the one I used on the roboteq powerchair.

Thats about 50 uk pounds. 70 dollars. And is hall effect. Like this, but ignore the stupid price. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEM-3140RQ0 ... xyx-BSa7~W

But anything that gives the same swing will work. For eg a cheap chinese one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joystick-Pot ... SwhmpaBCOB
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 11 Dec 2017, 00:30

Dual voltage joystick.jpg
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby ex-Gooserider » 12 Dec 2017, 01:22

Worth noting, the normal swing on a chair joystick is something like 0.5-4.5V, but this is done as a safety measure, the stick CAN be wired to swing from 0-5V, but by having the swing NOT go to the limits you have a failure detection in that if the controller sees 0 or 5V it 'knows' that something is wrong with the system and that it needs to do an emergency shutdown....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby wilsonintexas » 12 Dec 2017, 02:00

Thanks for the information.

I am also checking with a Segway site.

It looks like steering right and left is an easy switch-out to a joy stick. The volt range from the module I have looks like it is perfect for the Segway.

BUT forward and back is more complicated....... (lever easy)

this is from the Segway site:

No, unfortunately that is not possible.
Forward and reverse is done by regulating the position using the gyroscope and accelerometer (LSM6DS3).
This IC is located on the motherboard labeled U9 (and not in the frame as I had described above)
The only way I think is the manipulation of I2C communication between U9 and main processor.

but I can control forward and back a lot easier than right and left, so this still may be ok.

I also think that I can use the module, supplying 5 volts, and ground and then just the right and left from pin one.

There is one other thing I might look into, but it will be more work. It has a blue tooth interface and an ap on the phone that lets you control it......

BUT the phone ap is not very easy to use, and limits the speed.

I will do another thread with a brief description of the mule.
wilsonintexas

Return to Everything Powerchair