shock absorbers where best to buy?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

shock absorbers where best to buy?

Postby duke1 » 11 Dec 2017, 20:11

hi all i am looking to replace the shocks on my tinas old invacare mph chair as the rh one has ceased up solid so my question is where is best to purchase such an item and should i be looking out any particular type/maker? i have heard some talk of gas shocks so any thoughts on them from anyone? cheers
duke1

Re: shock absorbers where best to buy?

Postby duke1 » 22 Nov 2018, 14:12

hi all i thought id try again for a little advice on these shock absorbers and where one can find good replacement rear shocks for my ladies ancient but good chair esp as she now has to use the chair a lot more and as her spine and hips are getting worse i thought maybe a convert to air shocks or gas?i can get measurements of the existing (and quite knackered!) ones i dont mind spending a few quid if its going to make it more comfortable for her on the field and rough lumpy/slopey pavements and paths round here and i have tried a google search.ebay etc so any help and advice would be great,peace :cussing :joint banghead
ps chair is a rwd 6mph invacare from approx 1985 but has been modernised and customed to suit her and is great chair other than having worn suspension,
duke1

Postby Burgerman » 22 Nov 2018, 14:20

Difficult to find some that are correct.

They must be the correct length. And have the right sprig rate, correct preload, and ideally they would have the right compression and rebound damping. And have the correct fitting at each end. Probably M8 on most powerchairs.

So unless you know all these requirements and get a set specifically built, or find something that is adequate and close enough, then Invacare is likely the best bet.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 22 Nov 2018, 14:46

Burgerman wrote:Difficult to find some that are correct.

They must be the correct length. And have the right sprig rate, correct preload, and ideally they would have the right compression and rebound damping. And have the correct fitting at each end. Probably M8 on most powerchairs.

So unless you know all these requirements and get a set specifically built, or find something that is adequate and close enough, then Invacare is likely the best bet.

hi bm there def m8 mounts nearest ive seen so far is small trailer ones but as to springosity i dont know i think even if correct length they maybe to hard in which case a waste of time i did think maybe air shocks of some sort with adjustment may be better than the rather primitive originals,also the chair is very hard to pin down parts as its maker was german and then bought by invacare so some bits are gunter meir some stamped invacare typicaly no visible part numbers or maker on the shocks,maybe i take one of and visit the local car spares shop and see what is even similar in the boge catalogue but not having specs means guess basically.
but i think it worth sorting as the rest is all very good condition still and thanks to you guys here its slowly been pulled into modern era along with this tired old hippy ive learned much from doing this chair and want to keep it going forever if i can,cheers
duke1

Postby duke1 » 22 Nov 2018, 15:30

hi i think a set of these they say if messaged they can make other size for mounts but even making m10-m8 convertion myself would be ok these have adjustment and are for small motorcycle of not dissimilar weight to the laden chair so a best guess with margin for error or a crockpot full of shizen? czy heres link maybe if it works im having an awkward computer day,couldnt be me! :angel:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-11-280m ... 4b4d660f43
duke1

Postby Burgerman » 22 Nov 2018, 20:33

They may work. Likely to have too much travel, and be too soft though. Back of a small bike doesn't have two great heavy 55lb lead bricks in it. Its a case of guessing and hoping for the best.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Nov 2018, 04:25

It might be worth asking if the springs can be changed... If they turn out to be to soft, it might help to change the springs to a stiffer spring rate, or crank up the pre-load...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby duke1 » 24 Mar 2019, 18:28

ex-Gooserider wrote:It might be worth asking if the springs can be changed... If they turn out to be to soft, it might help to change the springs to a stiffer spring rate, or crank up the pre-load...

ex-Gooserider

hi all well at long last 3 sets of springs later and some modifications later i now have the wifes chair all back to good order because she uses it most around the park and woods etc with the dogs she managed to destroy the puny original shocks very fast!then the swinging arm bushes was shot and i found the originals are phosphorus bronze which seems a strange choice?not able to locate these i have modified a small motorbike cg125 inner arm bushes and they should last a long time i still need to find new stainless bearings for the casters so any good suppliers?anyhow i took some pics of the finished work,my god my hands hurt after compressing 6 springs and need a rest! also enamel painted the battered caster forks for want of anywhere that does powder coating i can afford,peace
chair pc ssdd 23 03 19 003.JPG
duke1

Postby duke1 » 24 Mar 2019, 18:35

theres something wrong with the uploading bit it just posts the first upload over and over and it is not user error,most likely!so 1 pic at a time,sorry :cussing
chair pc ssdd 23 03 19 005.JPG

jpeg 5 yes? now i go to six and i bet 5 is there!
chair pc ssdd 23 03 19 006.JPG

well confused now!
chair pc ssdd 23 03 19 012.JPG

thats all folks :worship :worship :joint :joint :joint :clap:
duke1

Postby ex-Gooserider » 26 Mar 2019, 04:18

Looks like a nice job...

Phosphor bronze is actually not a bad choice for a bushing - it's fairly durable, and is often considered 'lubed for life'... I wouldn't change it out absent visible wear...

Lately I use 'Big Bearing House' for my bearings as I find they are the best I can get for SS bearings here in the US... The important thing that you will need to replace your bearings is the 'bearing number', which should be stamped on the sides of the bearings.... If you can't find the number, getting precise size measurements (be careful to tell the difference between inch and metric!) for ID, OD, and thickness, and doing some searching on bearing vendor (or manufacturer) sites will get you a size number....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby duke1 » 26 Mar 2019, 19:30

ex-Gooserider wrote:Looks like a nice job...

Phosphor bronze is actually not a bad choice for a bushing - it's fairly durable, and is often considered 'lubed for life'... I wouldn't change it out absent visible wear...

Lately I use 'Big Bearing House' for my bearings as I find they are the best I can get for SS bearings here in the US... The important thing that you will need to replace your bearings is the 'bearing number', which should be stamped on the sides of the bearings.... If you can't find the number, getting precise size measurements (be careful to tell the difference between inch and metric!) for ID, OD, and thickness, and doing some searching on bearing vendor (or manufacturer) sites will get you a size number....

ex-Gooserider

hi for now i have cleaned them with jizer and regreased them and 1 side is fine the rh is either a bit rough and looks as though half maybe been changed as the top bearing case looks much newer than bottom one,we do have a good bearing shop a few towns away but so expensive we shall have to save the pennys for a while! the pb bush was scored and rough and had excess of play for my liking but being a time served mechanic i just cant ignore such things its just not in my nature,the wife is still stubornly walking even though she should be using the chair more as she keeps falling over banghead thanks for reply,peace :joint
duke1

Return to Everything Powerchair