Invacare Fox one wheel juddering at low speed

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Invacare Fox one wheel juddering at low speed

Postby clairc » 13 Jan 2018, 21:28

Hi!

I have a second hand Invacare Fox powerchair but it's developed a problem. The left hand drive wheel judders at low speed and I'm not sure what the problem could be. The chair works fine in all other respects and the ride is smooth when I'm travelling at top speed but moving off from a stand still or turning around in the supermarket it jolts and vibrates as if I'm driving over a cattle grid.

I checked the service manual and it suggests juddering could be either defective batteries or motor.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Is there anything else I should check before blowing my savings on new parts?

Thanks!

Clair
clairc

Re: Invacare Fox one wheel juddering at low speed

Postby rover220 » 13 Jan 2018, 21:51

Most likely motor. I've replaced a few.
rover220

Postby clairc » 13 Jan 2018, 23:50

Thanks! That is what I feared.

My husband said he should be able to fit a new motor for me. Do you know the best place to get one from? I can't find any for sale online and I don't want to get ripped off by a mobility shop. I found the part number on the Invacare website but there are no prices and no way of ordering online. Do Invacare sell parts to the general public?

Clair
clairc

Postby Burgerman » 14 Jan 2018, 00:01

Nope. You have to use a dealer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Jan 2018, 01:55

As BM said, online or a dealer is your best option... There is a company called Eurton that does motor rebuilding, they sometimes have rebuilt motors for some chairs available.

Another option is to do a search on Ebay for 'Invacare wheelchair parts' or similar, and look for sellers with a lot of listings and / or stores. Contact them directly and ask.... A lot of those vendors are chair salvage yards, who have a lot of parts they don't list, so they might have a motor on the shelf that they didn't advertise...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby clairc » 17 Jan 2018, 16:00

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm pleased to say the problem is now sorted.

A friend on a Facebook group recommended a repair man, he was in the area yesterday so he came over to have a look at it and he managed to fix my chair. It was a sticky motor brush. My chair is now running like new and it only cost me a few quid so I'm well happy I didn't have to pay out for a whole new motor.

Clair
clairc

Return to Everything Powerchair