Wheelchair access on airplanes

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Wheelchair access on airplanes

Postby mgwmgw » 16 Jan 2018, 00:42

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-42231505/one-mum-s-fight-to-get-wheelchairs-on-planes

This lady fights for her 10-year-old son's right to fly in his own wheelchair. This gives him the physical support he needs. It also avoids some of the dangers of wheelchairs not being found quickly or being broken before they are returned to the passenger. If any airlines become early adopters of this idea, I would expect that wheelers who travel would want to prefer that brand when it flies where they want to go. At least, wheelers and their friends might want to express support for the idea.
mgwmgw

Location: North Billerica, Massachusetts 01862, U.S.A. (northwest of Boston)

Re: Wheelchair access on airplanes

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jan 2018, 02:17

I support the idea.

However the practicalities of getting say a 190kg (30 stone) modern powerchair, and adult 20 stone user, about 28 inches width requirement, through doors, into position, and tieing that down safely on a fragile narrow isle aircraft is a real problem. Its true some larger aircraft can be redesigned. But many have a 30 year service life or more.

So if everyone agrees to do it starting today, I will be dead 20 years before I can garantee getting on a flight!

Buses and trains started this 15 years ago or more. I still cant use them. Because while the one going to the pub 5 miles away, may be disabed freindly, that last one on the way home might not be. Or someone is already using the wheelchair place... So the risk means I dont ever try public transport. Unless its 100% reliable they are useless to me. Same with taxis. Many turn up with an unfeasably steep high, dangerous ramp. That theres no way on earth I could use. They expect you to get out and sit in the normal seat. While they load your chair...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair