PL 8 - XLR Charging -

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

PL 8 - XLR Charging -

Postby expresso » 12 Feb 2018, 02:09

I just made an Charge cable for Lead - using XLR - using your XLR preset you made for me - BM -

i just tested it - seemed to start fine and then got a safely code 15 - what can that be ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: PL 8 - XLR Charging -

Postby Burgerman » 12 Feb 2018, 02:22

Its the 24v battery, 24v power supply, buck/boost thing. Try again, set to 12A charge.
Or try with a chair thats actually discharged so it can add a few amps! Drive it around the apartment twice and the error will likely go away.

What I would do would be to turn the power supply down to say 20v or up to 30v. The reason it happens is that it starts in buck mode dropping voltage, and as soon as it adds any power the voltage climbs due to the long charge loom on the chair being relatively high resistance, and so it suddenly has to change to boost to increase volts to keep up. While its doing that the voltage falls again because theres no current for an instant. So it finds itself needing buck mode again, rinse and repeat.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 Feb 2018, 03:00

Cant adjust PSU -

the chair isnt drained - hardly used - this is my indoor chair - i just wanted to test the cable i made - so nothing is wrong with my cable or the preset settings ?

i lowered it to 9A - then 8A charge - i have a 10A fuse inline - i figure if i use 12A charge - it may over work the Fuse ? and my chair wiring you think is ok with 12A charge ?
expresso

Postby expresso » 12 Feb 2018, 03:08

i just tried 12A - charging - same thing - this time even sooner i got the error - i will leave it alone and not charge the chair tonight - will try it tomorrow evening -

thanks
expresso

Postby snaker » 12 Feb 2018, 03:20

expresso wrote:i just tried 12A - charging - same thing - this time even sooner i got the error - i will leave it alone and not charge the chair tonight - will try it tomorrow evening -

thanks

BM meant trying a 12V power supply
snaker

Postby steves1977uk » 12 Feb 2018, 10:17

This is where an adjustable PSU is needed, even an EFUEL PSU would be ok for this.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 12 Feb 2018, 11:25

He has a 12v one already! :clap

Actually if he just went around the block first, likely no problem. Either way it would work.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 Feb 2018, 17:14

Ok i see - i missed that part - about the 12V PSU - yes i do have one - i have it in the closet as a spare - i guess i can try that one and see - i didnt charge last night and will leave it alone today till this evening and try it again - if it dosnt work - i try the 12V unit -

about the EFuel PSU - users here been having issues with those since day one brand new with the 50A connection - not working - even the ones from Revo. brand new - for what ever reason - i dont recall what the issues were - the 12V should be fine if i have to use that one since the charge rate will be low if charging with the XLR anyway -

i may need another PSU actually soon - Quickie is going to add the Cable to the batteries so i can hang my ADD ON pack on her chair - i am sure she would love the range she will get compared to lead along - hopefully in doing this and she will see its not hard to charge it etc, - with the PL 8 - and benefits are great -

if thats the case - i will need another PSU - and maybe do another ADD ON for her only 45Ah i think is best - brings me to what PSU is worth it now - i found this which seems good

http://feathermerchantrc.com/
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 12 Feb 2018, 18:14

Itsuseful at times to be able to use a different voltage. Which is one reason I use the SM3040 bench supplies. I chose 1V or 1A up to 31V or 41A as needed. To charge, to test motors, when charging lead directly (just choose Amps, volts, connect! And so on).

If charging 24v its best to use 22 or 30V to avoid the issues you saw. Also a decent bench supply has a more stable voltage as its loaded. So helps avoid gettiung that problem to begin with.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 Feb 2018, 18:57

Burgerman wrote:Itsuseful at times to be able to use a different voltage. Which is one reason I use the SM3040 bench supplies. I chose 1V or 1A up to 31V or 41A as needed. To charge, to test motors, when charging lead directly (just choose Amps, volts, connect! And so on).

If charging 24v its best to use 22 or 30V to avoid the issues you saw. Also a decent bench supply has a more stable voltage as its loaded. So helps avoid gettiung that problem to begin with.

i guess - but my needs are basic - not as involved with alot of things like you do - - then the cost comes in play and last its big and heavy - i dont have the space - maybe if i can find a less expensive version - could be something i may consider down the road - if i can get by with what i have - thats what i will do -

i never had that issues with charging my lithium and the combined lead - lithium -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 12 Feb 2018, 20:40

Because the cables are direct, dont go through the thin long wires in the chairs loom. Thse are high resistance. And because the lithium voltage is solid. So it doesent start at say 25v and jump upwards by a couple of volts as soon as the charger tries to add power. So it doesent have to suddenly go from buck to boost just as it begins ramping up power.

Its not a big issue anyway as if the chair went around your apartment a few times it would be at a different voltage so then will probably charge fine.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 Feb 2018, 21:05

i been using the chair around my apt. - thats the only chair i use indoors - but then my apt. isnt as big as your house so that may be the difference :) it wasnt charged last night - and just sitting all day - later i get in it and try it - if it happens again - i try the 12V psu - and report back which works or if both work or if either dosnt -

i am going to test the new 300-4 tires i got for the lithium chair - to see if they clear the motors and foot - crossing fingers - they seem big - - trying to keep busy - will work on Cell monitor cable end of week maybe -

i used 14AWG wire on the XLR cable - i think i can use 16AWG at these charge rates - and easier to make -
expresso

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Feb 2018, 01:25

I'd say again that I don't think it's a good idea to push 12A through an XLR plug... The book may say they are rated for that as a MAXIMUM, but that is for a new connector under ideal conditions... Give it a few hundred plug cycles, weather exposure related corrosion, etc. and the connector resistance will be going up, not to mention the resistance of the weedy wires in the rest of the harness... I think 8 is more a reasonable limit if one doesn't want to risk melting wires or the connectors...

On the PSU's - the ones that aren't just repurposed PC supplies are often adjustable - especially the 'shoebox' or open frame styles... They are normally intended to power unknown equipment, and have 'trim-pot' adjustments officially intended to allow adjusting the supply to compensate for the wiring resistance and get the nominal output at the device rather than the supply... But we can use them to get AWAY from the problem voltage if need be. The ones I've played with over the years typically don't have enough range to get to the 22 or 30V that BM suggests, but should get at least one volt down or two up...

Look for a small pot with a screwdriver slot - usually near where the other connections are. Be careful, often you will be near live power, as the folks building these supplies don't intend them as 'user serviceable' and assume that if you are touching them you know enough to keep your fingers and tools out of the :shock: bits...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 13 Feb 2018, 01:52

My cheap eBay 380 and 500 watt 24v supplies that are shiny cheap silver things are both adjustable with a tiny pot/screwdriver as you say. I just stuck a volt meter on, and turned up to max.

As for 12A on XLR plugs its fine as long as they are good/healthy and not getting hot after 5 mins charge. Companies such as sunrise wont even supply an 8mph chair without a 10 or 12A charger now as explained on the prescription form. They figured out that charge is not adequate overnight on the faster chairs and it was causing THEM problems with warranty issues. There are good and bad quality connectors out there too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Feb 2018, 02:41

it will depend on the connector used - quality and the wiring thickness - to handle the current - i have a few connectors and to be honest - they dont seem to be able to handle alot on those little thin pins i solder to connect the wiring -

even though i used 14 awg wire - the wire i added can handle more current but i am not sure of the connector itself - and then the chair end - who knows what is used there -

to be safe - 8A or 10A maybe -
expresso

Postby expresso » 13 Feb 2018, 02:58

Ok did it again - same error - if using 24V PSU - the chair wasnt dead enough i guess - i swapped it out for the 12V PSU - working fine

reached set CC in a few mins - on CV stage now - not a big deal - glad i have a 12V PSU - i wont be using it this way - these batteries are old anyway and just use indoors -

at least i know my cable works and it charges fine - i set it to 9A to be safe

also - those 300-4 kenda tires FIT my 646se Chair - !!!! will finish it tomorrow on the other side - very happy it finally worked out - i am already used to seeing the chair this way - looks strange any other way - just tires make a huge difference in the look - black and Fat :lol: :dance
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Feb 2018, 03:26

There are better neutrik connectors with corrosione and oxide free gold plated contacts that are ok up to 16 Amps. https://www.distrelec.ch/en/xlr-cable-p ... p/14220571

8 or 9 is very safe. 10 is the new normal from sunrise. 12is fine. I have tried 14 without issue, but dont try it! Unless you accept the risk and are in a hurry. Anderson and thicker cables is the proper solution.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Feb 2018, 04:11

not rushing here with this xlr charge cable - i just made it to have one - i will still use my lester charger 8amp - overnight with this chair
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Feb 2018, 10:05

If you make one as a Y lead, (add another connection with a socket for your lester, to the 2 pins in the connector) you can use the PL8 once set to monitor. Charge with lester.

And graph what the old lester charger actually does. Which may be good, bad or probably terrible! Either way you will know then, and you can do the same with your other lead brick chargers.

Or buy on amazon.

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Feb 2018, 19:00

Burgerman wrote:If you make one as a Y lead, (add another connection with a socket for your lester, to the 2 pins in the connector) you can use the PL8 once set to monitor. Charge with lester.

And graph what the old lester charger actually does. Which may be good, bad or probably terrible! Either way you will know then, and you can do the same with your other lead brick chargers.

Or buy on amazon.

good idea - when i get around to it - i will just purchase it on amazon - may cost less than buying the parts and making it - took me a afternoon - was first time - and had to redo the solder on the banana plugs - first time i couldnt close them the casing - i realized what i did wrong and had to redo - - then i added the fuses - etc,

i just wanted one cable to have on hand if needed - i will get this also -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Feb 2018, 20:50

They may be wired with thin wires that wont like 12A. Usually used on microphones. So maybe better to buy one from a music shop in new york so you can see/ask what you are going to get. Or make it yourself just buy ends. You can also use it to top up a couple of chairs stored with one charger.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Feb 2018, 20:55

Burgerman wrote:They may be wired with thin wires that wont like 12A. Usually used on microphones. So maybe better to buy one from a music shop in new york so you can see/ask what you are going to get. Or make it yourself just buy ends. You can also use it to top up a couple of chairs stored with one charger.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... 0DER&psc=1

i will just these - i wont be charging at 12A - i dont feel good - not knowing how the Chair end is wired etc, anyway - and my fuses i added inline are 10A - i feel safer at 9A max charging if i ever use it - or 8A no big deal - i dont have many chairs with lead anyway - i just wanted the option -
expresso

Postby garriew » 29 Aug 2018, 17:05

Hows this cable working for you? Any pics of the complete one?
garriew

Postby expresso » 29 Aug 2018, 17:40

garriew wrote:Hows this cable working for you? Any pics of the complete one?

if your referring to me - i never purchased this Y adapter - i forgot why i was interested in it already - haha - maybe to monitor a Charge on the PL 8 from a chair using dumb charger - i just made a XLR cable to use on the pl8 and stock chair with lead -
expresso

Postby garriew » 29 Aug 2018, 17:54

expresso wrote:

if your referring to me - i never purchased this Y adapter - i forgot why i was interested in it already - haha - maybe to monitor a Charge on the PL 8 from a chair using dumb charger - i just made a XLR cable to use on the pl8 and stock chair with lead -

Didn't you make one to charge the factory batteries ? That's what I'm looking to do.
garriew

Postby Burgerman » 29 Aug 2018, 17:59

You just need some of those SAFE 4mm connectors, some cable and an XLR plug, all from ebay. I have one here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby garriew » 29 Aug 2018, 18:03

Burgerman wrote:You just need some of those SAFE 4mm connectors, some cable and an XLR plug, all from ebay. I have one here.

This

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Pro ... ug-Cable_2

with an XLR plug would work, right?
garriew

Postby expresso » 29 Aug 2018, 22:29

garriew wrote:
expresso wrote:

Didn't you make one to charge the factory batteries ? That's what I'm looking to do.

Yes i did make one - i though you were referring to the Y adapter - i never made one of those - but now thinking about it - i can - i have XLR M and F models and have the wire - i used 12AWG like the PL 8 - i added a 10A fuse in the line - works fine -

my new lead batteries are not getting fully charged to 100% with the preset and PL 8 - again today - i went out - 6 hours later its still at 330mAh now -

yesterday i made it to 280mah - - it will never be fully charged down to 80mAh because i need to chair Way before then - so i guess thats that - i will charge it every few days or so now since its hardly used indoors and really hate to have the PL 8 going non stop all day for one chair and then most of the evening for the next chair etc, -

i will make an extension XLR Cable for my dumb charger i have that floats - maybe i use that overnight anyway and when i want to do a good Charge - use the PL 8 once a week leaving it on for 24 hours for that one day just to see if it ever hits 80mAh

i will also make that Y XLR Adapter now also - winter time - gives me something to do - i have a few little projects so far set up - mostly wiring and maybe another ADD ON - 75ah - 90ah Cells - 75ah at least and maybe 90ah if i can find the right size - etc, will be fun :D
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 29 Aug 2018, 22:36

my new lead batteries are not getting fully charged to 100% with the preset and PL 8 - again today - i went out - 6 hours later its still at 330mAh now -

Keep going... After 8 then stop. Just allow the 8 hour limit to terminate them normally.

If you have a float charger that sits at 27.0 to 27.2V connect that and leave it for about a week.
If that doesent fix them nothing will. And they are how they are.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair