300-4 Tire - first impressions

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: 300-4 Tire - first impressions

Postby snaker » 06 Mar 2018, 02:22

@expresso: Can you take a close pic of the small nut on top? I feel something wrong in my right rear wheel but I cannot find that nut to adjust.
snaker

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 02:38

snaker wrote:@expresso: Can you take a close pic of the small nut on top? I feel something wrong in my right rear wheel but I cannot find that nut to adjust.

which small nut are you talking about ? on the front caster fork ? i need more details of what you want me to take a picture of -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby snaker » 06 Mar 2018, 02:44

Ah, that's the red knob. Can you take a close pic of it?

yes we reduced the preload - to lengthen the spring loosen it - the red knob we turned also just one turn inward i believe - the spring was turned outward about 6 turns i think they were half turns so about 3 full turns on the spring
snaker

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 02:50

ok will try - that controls the spring - damping i believe -

i have turned mines a few turns inward i believe - let me see will post in a few mins.
expresso

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 02:59

hope this helps - not sure what you can do looking at these pics - dont mind the dirt - i have it wiped down after each use - but not everyone does as good as a job as others -
expresso

Postby snaker » 06 Mar 2018, 03:52

I see it, thanks expresso. My chair does not have this knob. It only has a big ring nut to adjust the spring tension. About the dirt, mine is worse. Especially after upgrading the large lithium pack, I usually go very far and long time. When I am back home, my dad has to take a hour to clean it. Then it looks like new :joint
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 04:57

I hope all you boys and girls realise that motors wear out with hours of use, or miles covered? Thats not a reason not to do it of course, but it means new motors will happen sooner. Its one reason I swap them out after a couple years regardless. But dont let it worry you! Just enjoy the freedom. :chillpill

Just be pleased you can get out and about. Those users stuck with lead bricks (which is likely every wheelchair user on the planet bar a few here, and maybe 1 or 2 we dont know about), dont have a choice to do what you all can. And so 99.9% of all chair users suffer range anxiety on every trip out on a long day even if they dont actually think about it directly. They have an inbuilt "capability" expectation and subconciously dont exceed it. They never attempt to go too far. Its limiting them subcontiously but most dont realise it.

Try going back to lead on a nice warm spring day and actually go somewhere, or go to an airshow for the day on grass while moving about a lot, then you soon do! hanged Battery gauge gets low, anxiety starts!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 06 Mar 2018, 10:30

Going far means paying more :fencing
But as in our country we usually say "cannot suspend happiness" drunk2
The urine bag is a serious problem now. It's not good to go in streets with a heavy bag plenty of ... :cussing Is there any kind of 'electric' urine bags whose valve can be opened/closed by a button?
snaker

Postby shirley_hkg » 06 Mar 2018, 11:57

@ CNY¥8.30

Buy yourself a dozen & for good .
Attachments
2018-03-06 18.52.51.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 16:25

snaker wrote:Going far means paying more :fencing
But as in our country we usually say "cannot suspend happiness" drunk2
The urine bag is a serious problem now. It's not good to go in streets with a heavy bag plenty of ... :cussing Is there any kind of 'electric' urine bags whose valve can be opened/closed by a button?

they do have those things here also - electric will empty the bag for you -

http://www.wheelchairs.com/legbag2.htm
expresso

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 16:31

Burgerman wrote:I hope all you boys and girls realise that motors wear out with hours of use, or miles covered? Thats not a reason not to do it of course, but it means new motors will happen sooner. Its one reason I swap them out after a couple years regardless. But dont let it worry you! Just enjoy the freedom. :chillpill

Just be pleased you can get out and about. Those users stuck with lead bricks (which is likely every wheelchair user on the planet bar a few here, and maybe 1 or 2 we dont know about), dont have a choice to do what you all can. And so 99.9% of all chair users suffer range anxiety on every trip out on a long day even if they dont actually think about it directly. They have an inbuilt "capability" expectation and subconciously dont exceed it. They never attempt to go too far. Its limiting them subcontiously but most dont realise it.

Try going back to lead on a nice warm spring day and actually go somewhere, or go to an airshow for the day on grass while moving about a lot, then you soon do! hanged Battery gauge gets low, anxiety starts!

going on 3200 miles so far - i am sure to hit 4000 after this summer :)

90 % of those miles all started once i got lithium - first year with lead - chair was hardly used - it was new - i didnt do much first summer - then i did the lithium that winter and lead was history

i finally got Quickie my friend to add the ADD ON on her chair - we added the cable and i just have to make a new longer cable to connect my ADD ON to her chair - will be using my 36ah pack - together with MK 24 gels - then she can take a longer ride this summer - i can show her over the NJ bridge and other places i go
she will still have to take the bus at least up the bridge to keep her batteries full for the long ride - and may have to take a bus back once in the City again - i figure at that point - its about 20 miles done - and need another 8 or so to ride it home - not sure if it will be enough juice - will we find out - this summer
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 16:39

If you take a PL8 with you, and the cell log, you can swap power from one chair to the other at 40A. If needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:25

Burgerman wrote:If you take a PL8 with you, and the cell log, you can swap power from one chair to the other at 40A. If needed.

i have a few ideas - but this one is a good one also to be able to perform -

i do want her to take at least her dumb charger just in case - its slow and may be useless but better than nothing -

or i was thinking - if i ride the bus with her up the bridge at least - that saves a good 9 miles easy - - i can not connect my ADD ON its 30ah - and just use my 105ah in the chair - and when on the way back - she should be good for 25 miles i believe which would bring us back to the bridge in the City again -

she can then swap the ADD ON and use my 30ah which was never used during this trip - and ride back - thats one way -

or take the bus back once back in the city over the bridge -

this should avoid having to recharge at all -

but back to your suggestion -

if carrying the PL 8 and 12 Volt PSU - i can charge at about 22Amp a hour with that - because of the lead will be charged along with it -

i rather not have to carry anything - - cant fit in the backpack and will have to hang another one with the charger etc,

Explain to me how i would do that if i ever needed it - power her chair from my chair etc, - what preset would i use - i would have to make changes on the PL 8 in some settings ?

at the end of this ride - i do have a place with outlets that i am pretty sure are working and can charge there - with out having to use my chair - but i like to know the procedure for that anyway just to know - more options -

thanks
expresso

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:27

i hope if we end up doing this - she may realize how great it is and its use - that maybe she agree to make one for her - i would then make a 45ah pack for her and that would be the best that can be done with lead also -
expresso

Postby LROBBINS » 06 Mar 2018, 19:29

I think that John is suggesting that you use the 24V from one chair + the PL8 to charge the other one -- there's no need for an AC powered DC supply.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 19:38

Correct. Use the 105Ah preset, or the addon preset, or the lead+ addon preset... Any. Run it from which ever chair has a good charge left in it.

No power supply needed just a 2lb charger.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:38

LROBBINS wrote:I think that John is suggesting that you use the 24V from one chair + the PL8 to charge the other one -- there's no need for an AC powered DC supply.

i would only need the PL 8 and the correct cables - my charge cable i use now would connect to the other chair - and i need just a cable going from the EC 5 cable - one end EC5 and other end to my chair - that would have to be XT90 to make it easy to connect etc,

i would use the same preset for charging i always use - and it would just pull power from my pack to hers - in the PL 8 settings for power source - i would have to change that i believe
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 19:39

:thumbup:

You can give her 20 of your Ah, in 30 mins. Enough for about 10 miles? Or so.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:39

Burgerman wrote:Correct. Use the 105Ah preset, or the addon preset, or the lead+ addon preset... Any. Run it from which ever chair has a good charge left in it.

No power supply needed just a 2lb charger.

i need just a cable going from the EC 5 cable - one end EC5 and other end to my chair - that would have to be XT90 to make it easy to connect etc,
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 19:43

This is why everything I have uses andersons...

You make a lead with big crocodile clips on one end and you can charge from any car like a taxi or police car in emergency too.

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:46

Burgerman wrote::thumbup:

You can give her 20 of your Ah, in 30 mins. Enough for about 10 miles? Or so.

well it would have lead also - so the combined preset is good up to 25ah - unless i just charge the ADD ON alone -

do i have to make changes in the Power supply section of the Charger ? i would need to make sure its set up correctly so i dont have to scroll thru it - i used it once with out a PC -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 19:48

No it will be fine. But make a new preset anyway, with it set to battery, and max amps, and charge amps set to 40. And call it Car Supply pb/lithium or something. So you can do it faster. As long as your cables are good.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:51

Burgerman wrote:This is why everything I have uses andersons...

You make a lead with big crocodile clips on one end and you can charge from any car like a taxi or police car in emergency too.

yes i know i even have one of those but never made the other end -

i have other reasons for making my ends with XT90 etc, - its much easier for me to handle - connect - disconnect if i had to and for my girls - SB50 i leave for the Main chair power of course - hardly gets touched ever - and on my chair end also is SB50 - from the Chair SB50 it goes to XT90 then for the ADD ON

my 30ah ADD ON has a XT90 end and the normal Charge cable with balance wires etc, -

my first pack 36ah which is what she will be using does have a SB50 on that one - that was my first pack - that never gets disconnected so it never bothered me much - stays connected with the lead -

i have to make a long 8awg cable with both ends SB50 for her also - to connect to her chair lead - the only good spot to put the Cable to connect the pack ended up to be in the front of the Chair - new cable will be from front of chair to back and enough slack for her to use the seat lift if needed - i say a good 5 feet cable
expresso

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 19:56

Burgerman wrote:No it will be fine. But make a new preset anyway, with it set to battery, and max amps, and charge amps set to 40. And call it Car Supply pb/lithium or something. So you can do it faster. As long as your cables are good.

i can copy the Combined preset i use for charging both lead and lithium together ? rename it and raise the charge amps on it ?

Ok wait - if i had to charge this way - would it be better to charge it as ONE - with lead - pack all connected -

or disconnect the ADD ON pack and charge the 36ah pack fast ?

my cables would be 10AWG wire - should be fine - the charger uses 12AWG and can charge at 40 amps - so 10AWG should work - its been working for me so far

Max Amps you mean on the charger ? goes up to 60Amps - mines is set at 50 amp - the most i have charged before was 35Amp - have since lowered it since i charge two packs separate now -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 20:01

i can copy the Combined preset i use for charging both lead and lithium together ? rename it and raise the charge amps on it ?

Yes... But also set supply, to battery as its less likely to error when the voltage moves about... Dont ask. Set battery amps to max. 24v. And set to either lifepo4 or Optima. You may or may not have LiFePO4 but I do! Cant remember!

Ok wait - if i had to charge this way - would it be better to charge it as ONE - with lead - pack all connected -

Yes... And you can count Ah on the screen as you transfer power. At 40A you will get 10Ah every 15 mins. So buy an ice creme.

10Ah will take you a good long way. But will cost you about 11! Charging is about 90% efficient.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Mar 2018, 20:11

Burgerman wrote:

Yes... But also set supply, to battery as its less likely to error when the voltage moves about... Dont ask. Set battery amps to max. 24v. And set to either lifepo4 or Optima. You may or may not have LiFePO4 but I do! Cant remember!

Yes... And you can count Ah on the screen as you transfer power. At 40A you will get 10Ah every 15 mins. So buy an ice creme.

10Ah will take you a good long way. But will cost you about 11! Charging is about 90% efficient.

is it safe to charge the Lead combined at 40A ? i though 25A would be max with the Lead -

What do you mean set it to Lifepo4 or Optima - are those options on the PL 8 settings PSU Section ?

i have lifepo4 cells if you mean that - i only use Headways Cells - these are the 12Ah for this first ADD ON - the rest i used 15ah cells
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 07 Mar 2018, 01:12

Yes. Because 90% will go into the lithium, as the lead will not be very discharged, and is higher impedance. Its just along for the ride! In any case I have charged MKs at 100A each when in a hurry! But after about 3 minutes they always fall to about 30 anyway. Then less and less. Dont worry about the battery. Only the cables. Remembr that as you roll, the first 3/4 of your trip is mostly taken from your lithium. When you charge it back up, the same is true.

What do you mean set it to Lifepo4 or Optima - are those options on the PL 8 settings PSU Section ?

Yes. If you choose battery it wants to know what sort... So it doesent over charge or over discharge the supply battery when doing a charge or regenerative discharge. Theres a lot to this charger. In yor case I might just leave it set to your previous power supply settings, but be sure to set low voltage to a low figure. Mine is set to 10.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 07 Mar 2018, 02:18

Forget it !

Pair of decent G24 MK gel + 30Ah add-on will deliver 80Ah .

There won't be much left in your 105Ah pack already , when compared to that empty add-on combo .

cheers Don't bother.
drunk2
shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 07 Mar 2018, 02:25

sorry shirly - but what do you mean ?

the MK lead chair will have a 36ah ADD ON -

i will have my 105Ah and 30Ah add on - which i may not even connect - just carry it in case she needs it at the end

i have enough with 105ah to make this trip back and forth with no bus

the plan is to take the bus to the bridge - saves 9 miles

she can make the ride once we start at the bridge and back to the bridge - she may not make it back after that -

either she takes the bus back again - or i can swap the ADD ON and give her my 30ah which was never used to make it home - or try to charge her chair with mines
expresso

Postby snaker » 07 Mar 2018, 02:31

shirley_hkg wrote:@ CNY¥8.30

Buy yourself a dozen & for good .

@Shirley: These electric valves would save me :mrgreen: Can you give me their link?
snaker

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair