Installing mid-wheel drive motors as rear-wheel drive?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Installing mid-wheel drive motors as rear-wheel drive?

Postby timmmay71 » 09 Mar 2018, 12:26

Is it possible to install mid-wheel drive motors into rear-wheel drive frames? Assuming you could fabricate a mount and secure the motors properly.
Will it run just fine with the matching controllers? For example, an Invacare TDX motors mounted in an Invacare Storm H frame?
C4-C5 Complete
Invacare Storm Torque SP MKIV
Invacare Storm Arrow GB MKIV
timmmay71

Re: Installing mid-wheel drive motors as rear-wheel drive?

Postby rover220 » 09 Mar 2018, 14:00

timmmay71 wrote:Is it possible to install mid-wheel drive motors into rear-wheel drive frames? Assuming you could fabricate a mount and secure the motors properly.
Will it run just fine with the matching controllers? For example, an Invacare TDX motors mounted in an Invacare Storm H frame?

Motors almost always the same.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 09 Mar 2018, 14:14

Cables are sometimes a different length. Or may have different freewheel config. But usually same on most chairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 09 Mar 2018, 16:42

I did exactly that! I did have to change the polarity of the motors originally, because the motors responded to the stick, opposite to what I wished it to do. I also had to use the properly marked plug ... right and left. Later the control programmer had a station which asked me if it was a mid wheel or a rear drive. I never experimented with that, because this was my daily use chair. This is a MKII RII control in an Invacare Chair. I suits me.
Sully

Postby Sully » 09 Mar 2018, 17:01

That is a MK IV RII not a Mk II Thanks. (Invacare Nutron chair frame)
Sully

Postby timmmay71 » 10 Mar 2018, 00:39

Burgerman wrote:Cables are sometimes a different length. Or may have different freewheel config. But usually same on most chairs.

is there any adverse effects if you cut the cable in the middle and solder an extension to make it longer? Thanks BM.
C4-C5 Complete
timmmay71

Postby timmmay71 » 10 Mar 2018, 00:43

Sully wrote:I did exactly that! I did have to change the polarity of the motors originally, because the motors responded to the stick, opposite to what I wished it to do. I also had to use the properly marked plug ... right and left. Later the control programmer had a station which asked me if it was a mid wheel or a rear drive. I never experimented with that, because this was my daily use chair. This is a MKII RII control in an Invacare Chair. I suits me.

so, did you leave the settings as mid wheel? thanks..
C4-C5 Complete
timmmay71

Postby Burgerman » 10 Mar 2018, 12:09

The motors have no settings. They are not aware if they are fitted to a rear, front, mid drive, or a conveyer belt. The control system may need the MOTOR LOAD COMPENSATION setting adjusting to allow proper control if the motor is a different type/model that you are replacing. Ant this is quite important.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoJo7 » 11 Mar 2018, 04:43

is there any adverse effects if you cut the cable in the middle and solder an extension to make it longer?

I hope BM will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that if your cable is thick enough (low enough AWG) and your soldering job is good, [so you don't have a cable with a lot of resistance] you will be fine.
JoJo7

Postby Burgerman » 11 Mar 2018, 04:46

Yes it will be OK but I dont like joints...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 12 Mar 2018, 18:30

Question asked: "so, did you leave the settings as mid wheel? thanks.."

I did nothing, when I eventually did use a programmer. IT asked me (on screen) if it was rear drive or mid wheel since I had changed the polarity, I lied to it and said NO.

So I never changed anything with the programmer except the response times and speed. I like my response time quick enough to make any change of direction rather fluid in the way it acts to my hands.

It COULD be that your programmer if you have one might mitigate having to change polarity. (internally change polarity) I don't actually know that. The MIV RII controller I have, has leads from the controller which permit ease of connecting. (long enough) I did my reversing of polarity inside the motor plugs themselves. It was a simple procedure.
Sully

Postby timmmay71 » 13 Mar 2018, 06:20

thanks to all the replies, really helps me a lot.. :thumbup:
C4-C5 Complete
timmmay71

Return to Everything Powerchair