WheelchairDriver • View topic - 1st drive in the X5

1st drive in the X5

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

1st drive in the X5

Postby sacharlie » 19 Feb 2011, 05:03

or any powerchair for that matter.
************AWESOME**************

I'm a hardheaded Quad that always uses a manual chair and found myself not going to places I use to. Today I went to the Rodeo and Livestock grounds. It was a blast running up and down ramps and curbs. Weaving around to miss the cow patties in the barns was cool. I hadn't been to the grounds for over 10 years...what a hoot.
sacharlie

Re: 1st drive in the X5

Postby Burgerman » 19 Feb 2011, 10:51

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 19 Feb 2011, 11:16

It is always encouraging to see a fellow sufferer convert to a higher level of mobility. Well done!

For years, I struggled on crutches, wanting to be independent, until one day on a train, a powerchair user (Ann Bates OBE then of DIPTAC), pointed out to me that I was draining my brain power, such as it was, in fighting to achieve some limited mobility. I don't now have the arm / wrist strength to use manual chair. Now I use a powerchair (from choice, usually an F55, sometimes an F75, otherwise whatever is to hand).

Now, the door has opened for you, also.

The next step is to upgrade - many of us depend upon Burgerman's sage advice, and I do in particular, as I seek to translate his ideas into solutions for others. I commend you to get involved in the discussions.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 19 Feb 2011, 16:54

X5s are 2.5 inches too wide, a little too long, and a little high. The width and length you are stuck with unfortunately. Especially the rear casters hanging out behind you.

But reprogramming so it goes, and turns when you do, and a set of Odyssey batteries works wonders for torque and controlability.
And the seat can be lowered, by a couple of inches, although they still will feel a bit "tank" like indoors. They are a bit big for inside or in a van. And have weak arms, and the seating and everything above the base a bit badly made. The base itself is pretty good. And the newest ones have the best control system available in the Mobility world, the DX2 Dynamic. Once programmed correctly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair