Life expectancy...

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Life expectancy...

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2018, 00:36

I am a T4 paraplegic, with a bunch of other problems. As well as being about 7 stone overweight.

This is a bit depressing. http://www.lifeexpectancy.org/asp/Calcu ... efault.asp

I should be dead already. And if I was healthy (I am not!), and sufferered my injury at 40 (37.5 in my case so pretty close) should have had 27 years after injury iF I survived 1 year. So I would be expected to be dead at 64. I am 58! :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Life expectancy...

Postby ex-Gooserider » 08 May 2018, 00:52

FWIW, I go to a lot of lectures hosted by the local chapter of United Spinal and the rehab hospital, on various topics related to SCI, including research and so on... Discussion of life expectancy comes up periodically, and the current research seems to suggest that we have gotten to the point where there is not a huge difference in life expectancy between AB's and SCI folks... Unfortunately that still means us guys tend to kick the bucket sooner than the women do...

However the primary things that do us in are still the 'secondary complication' things, particularly pressure sores and UTI's...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2018, 09:07

I am good at uti's... Spent most of the last year with sores, and uti's, on my bed. Every time one ends the other starts! :cussing Right now getting up again 5 hours a day. To find that I had a leak for most of last summer and my living room and hallway are soaked from above into walls, floors and that we have a multi thousand pound repair bill plus decorating. So currently dealing with that and trying to rescue an overgrown garden, filthy black plastic windows and eaves, facias, and a weed covered drive that needs pressure washing etc. And plenty more! banghead

On the plus side it was 28C yesterday so nothing was done except cold beer for uti protection... :admirer
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 08 May 2018, 10:39

I had suffered a sore in 5 years. It had been small, sometimes developed large and deep. I had given up and accepted to live with it. One day I saw this stupid cushion on taobao and bought it. You would not believe, after 2 month sitting on it, the sore was COMPLETELY healed. In fact, it had very good progress after a few days and was nearly healed after 4 weeks of using that cushion.

snaker

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2018, 13:47

Quite possibly. What we are supposed to do is at the first sign of a mark, or anything unusual, is to get off it, stay on bed, with pillows wedged in left then right to keep moving any pressure around. That also heals it. But as soon as you get back up, its back...

:cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Dan » 08 May 2018, 14:59

It s easy to live longer.
Eat about 1500 calories a day of a good mixed diet with little meat.
Exercise, the more you do the more you can eat.
Get lots of sleep and don't stay up at night.
DO NOT SMOKE CANCERSTICKS OR DRINK ALCOHOL AT ALL.
If your a man get a sex change.

I of course do none of this. Though I did have to give up the cigars and whisky :joint drunk2 hanged

youtu.be/BxXlPULqYN0
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2018, 16:24

It s easy to live longer.

Great!

Eat about 1500 calories a day of a good mixed diet with little meat.

I live on stuff with a face... Mostly kebabs without salad. Or burgers. Or steaks. Dont eat vegetables.

Exercise, the more you do the more you can eat.

Err... I dont do any.

Get lots of sleep and don't stay up at night.

I get up normally at 12, and go to bed at 2am, and watch movies, or science programs, all night. Almost every night. I am nocturnal.

DO NOT SMOKE CANCERSTICKS OR DRINK ALCOHOL AT ALL.

I have the odd vodka, and drink 3 to 4 beers without fail every night. And just had an ice cold lager since its nuclear outside and I was watching shaun cut the grass. Talking of grass I do have the odd one of those too.

If your a man get a sex change.

So I am the wrong sex too? Marvelous. :cussing

hanged beer hanged beer hanged beer hanged beer :ambulance
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2018, 18:41

So instead of the 64 that the website says I should depart, it will be sooner. So instead of the 6 years I expect, it may be less. Like 4? :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 08 May 2018, 21:55

Who the heck wants to live longer? I can't wait to cross the finish line.
Sooner or later we all will anyway.

F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2018, 22:46

For your information I enjoy life. And I for one want to watch man land on mars before I depart...

The thought of me leaving, and the party still going on really upsets me!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 09 May 2018, 00:02

Burgerman wrote:For your information I enjoy life. And I for one want to watch man land on mars before I depart...

The thought of me leaving, and the party still going on really upsets me!

Ditto that!!
Those prediction things are bloody frightening. I did one a while back that gave me only 18% chance of making it another 2 years. Bollocks to that. butred I'm gonna prove them wrong or die in the attempt. :dance :joint cheers
greybeard

Postby Dan » 09 May 2018, 01:12

We all know what it takes to live longer? Anyway, those predictions things are for an "average person", they mean nothing for an individual. You might go sooner or you might go later. A lot of it is up to you and somethings you have no control over, like your DNA makeup.

I do still enjoy being alive even if I suffer a lot of the time. Like Burgerman I to what to live long enough to see something, all out nuclear war or a very large asteroid slamming into earth. That way I know the party is over :angel:

Dan

Postby hobie1dog » 09 May 2018, 02:13

I just turned 62 this week. Both of my parents lived to their mid eighties. If you slid a death pill across the table, I would grab it faster than my grandson would grab a M&M candy. I do not want to live like this much longer with chronic pain. I am very tired, physically and mentally the same as a 90 year old. Tired of the perpetual war, death, disease, crime, filth, poverty, corruption, greed, Corporatocracy, destruction and ignorance. After death, Everyone will continue on with their lives as history has proven, no one escapes it, and most everyone fears it due to delusional religious beliefs.

Another good topic John.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby Clif » 09 May 2018, 06:47

Colloidal silver seems to work well for UTI's. I use Mesosilver. Take it every day and you should have no more problem.
Clif

Postby Dan » 09 May 2018, 07:19

Clif wrote:Colloidal silver seems to work well for UTI's. I use Mesosilver. Take it every day and you should have no more problem.

I would avoid taking Colloidal silver, its a poison with no proven medical benefits.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that colloidal silver isn’t safe or effective for treating any disease or condition."
"Silver has no known function or benefits in the body when taken by mouth."
"Silver is not a nutritionally essential mineral or a useful dietary supplement."
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2018, 10:42

Seems to be some extreme polar opposite views on this thread. :shifty:

Personally I want to live forever.
And if you dont, isnt a gun to the head faster than a death pill? You wouldnt even hear a bang.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hobie1dog » 09 May 2018, 14:16

Burgerman wrote:Seems to be some extreme polar opposite views on this thread. :shifty:

Personally I want to live forever.
And if you dont, isnt a gun to the head faster than a death pill? You wouldnt even hear a bang.

Trouble is- the insurance corporations have it set up so that suicide eliminates payout, so they force you to live and pay out premiums, especially for term policies that increases your payments the longer you live, knowing that eventually you will stop paying the 4K/month premium on a fixed Social Security income,then they win again, leaving you with nothing. The Corporatocracy wins again. This is another reason I don't care to be around, watching the Sheeple blindly, mindlessly being controlled by the Capitalist Corporatocracy. Just too damned depressing .

Even though you want to live forever, reality is that we are nothing more than degrading biological organisms, spiraling downward, closer to death, farther from youth, every day. Laying in a bed, in pain, shitting yourself,shaking violently ( which I have witnessed), making others lives a burden because you exist is a demented disease in our society. We use empathy for our animals who suffer at the end of their lives and painlessly end their lives, but we cannot do anything at all for our relatives but watch them suffer to the last breath( and often we keep them living with machines for our vanity).

Guns to the head leaves a big ass mess, thus again being a burden to others who have better things to do with their lives.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby sin85 » 09 May 2018, 14:37

i try not to think about it overly much. it is something that i can do very little about no matter how hard i analyse it. but i enjoy life. not having a tipple, a smoke, pleasures of opposite sex and occasional feast would mean not enjoying life. then i might just as well be dead.
sin85

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2018, 16:07

Trouble is- the insurance corporations have it set up so that suicide eliminates payout, so they force you to live and pay out premiums, especially for term policies that increases your payments the longer you live, knowing that eventually you will stop paying the 4K/month premium on a fixed Social Security income,then they win again, leaving you with nothing. The Corporatocracy wins again. This is another reason I don't care to be around, watching the Sheeple blindly, mindlessly being controlled by the Capitalist Corporatocracy. Just too damned depressing .

Another one that thinks that theres some grand conspiracy. And you do not understand how capitalism works.
a. Nobody is forcing you not to commit suicide. Feel free. If thats what you really want. To most thats crazy. If life is so bad then you should have the choice. But dont exopect others to pay for it.
BECAUSE If suicide WAS covered then the insurance cost would be enormous for everyone. An insurance is just maths. Like a horse race. Cost of payouts, divided by the number of customers = net cost. They know statistically how long you will live on average and calculate accordingly. Add a percentage for a profit anbd so to be able to pay wages etc and thats the price! If yuou dont want that, dont pay it. If they add too much profit, another company, can undercut them and get the business instead. TRhats why theres thousands if life insurance companies. If you want cover against suicide, I am sure its available. Dont be surprised if thats slightly expensive because those that want that, are ovbiously wanting to do it. And no business can run at a loss. So it will probably cost the same as the payout... This stuff is not difficult.

Even though you want to live forever, reality is that we are nothing more than degrading biological organisms, spiraling downward, closer to death, farther from youth, every day. Laying in a bed, in pain, shitting yourself,shaking violently ( which I have witnessed), making others lives a burden because you exist is a demented disease in our society. We use empathy for our animals who suffer at the end of their lives and painlessly end their lives, but we cannot do anything at all for our relatives but watch them suffer to the last breath( and often we keep them living with machines for our vanity).

Living forever in your prime, never getting old. Not living as we do today, with an extra 500 or 5000 years added! Aging far more slowly!!!

Guns to the head leaves a big ass mess, thus again being a burden to others who have better things to do with their lives.

Thats their job. Do it and leave no body. Jump out of a plane over the sea. Or whatever.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 09 May 2018, 16:38

Given 2 years in 1991 and still here.
Can't do as much now as I could then and don't enjoy needing assistance to do things but no intention of blowing my brains out. I'd like to keep going and prove everyone wrong.
Quality of life is more important than living forever though. I can see it from the other perspective having watched someone else deteriorate to the point where they had just had enough of everything and staying alive was just going to be that - staying alive but nothing more.
foghornleghorn

Postby Mind The Gap » 09 May 2018, 17:11

Burgerman wrote:I am a T4 paraplegic, with a bunch of other problems. As well as being about 7 stone overweight.

This is a bit depressing. http://www.lifeexpectancy.org/asp/Calcu ... efault.asp

I should be dead already. And if I was healthy (I am not!), and sufferered my injury at 40 (37.5 in my case so pretty close) should have had 27 years after injury iF I survived 1 year. So I would be expected to be dead at 64. I am 58! :cussing

Did cross my mind the other day, what happens to site if BM pop's of :)
Otto Bock B500 with 105ah lifepo4 main, 48ah lifepo4 addon. 153ah total.
Mind The Gap

Postby hotwheels_75 » 09 May 2018, 18:37

This stuff freaks me out too. I was injured at 16. I’m now 42. That time has flown by. I’m lucky to have made it this long,with all the health issues and wear and tear 26 years of paralysis has on the body. As aggravating and frustrating as it gets, I’m not ready to kick off anytime soon! I’m with BM, I want to live forever.

For uti‘ s i started a crazy bladder flushing routine, most people will call mental, but it’s actually been working! I found it on a SCI forum. It’s a product called MicrocynAH... crazy part is that it’s a veterinarian product for animal hotspots and skin conditions. czy lol Sounds crazy, but I was desperate enough try it and I haven’t been on wretched antibiotics in over a year. It’s also widely used for cleaning infected ulcers.

I also try to eat healthier. Had to cut out the booze because it started making me feel so awful. But I still use medicinal herbs now and then. :joint
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2018, 19:21

>>>Did cross my mind the other day, what happens to site if BM pop's of :)

I have no intention of popping anywhere! And it would continue complete with spam for about a year... butred

MicrocynAH I already use. But on the outside! https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-Microc ... YK4KN1SNXQ
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 10 May 2018, 00:11

Burgerman wrote:>>>Did cross my mind the other day, what happens to site if BM pop's of :)

I have no intention of popping anywhere! And it would continue complete with spam for about a year... butred

MicrocynAH I already use. But on the outside! https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-Microc ... YK4KN1SNXQ

You can get this on Amazon.co.uk for the princely sum of £87.84 for the same sized 3 oz bottle that cost $9.99 !!!!!!!!! :cussing and they still want nearly 3 quid for postage. Bastards!!
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2018, 02:20

Its because its a prescription item in the uk, and not legally available. But the exact same stuff is available for dogs/horses etc as vetinary supplies for much less. Or rather was! I cant find any now. I use it. And when I last looked wasnt a horse. And 2 years ago it was as cheap as the US.

£14.40 and now out of stock... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is a similar product by another company as far as I can tell. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetericyn-Woun ... n+HYDROGEL
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 10 May 2018, 13:15

Yes. I remember reading on another forum (now defunct) that vetericyn was the same stuff.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2018, 15:00

Also hydro gel sold as intrasite gel. Same thing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tutatu » 10 May 2018, 21:06

Burgerman wrote:So instead of the 64 that the website says I should depart, it will be sooner. So instead of the 6 years I expect, it may be less. Like 4? :o

No no, we need you! To lead us, we are growing lithium army now :D

Your personality is great and your knowledge is enormous and it's better to be with us cheers
tutatu

Postby martin007 » 10 May 2018, 21:48

I have Spinal muscular atrophy.
The doctors say he would have to be "half dead" already.
But I am alive.

I eat well.
I drink well.
I sleep well.
I fornicate well. :joint

I ignore the statistics.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2018, 23:08

So far. But thats how we get statistics!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair