Ramp width recommendations

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Ramp width recommendations

Postby flagman1776 » 09 Jun 2018, 03:32

I need about a 40 foot ramp. How wide would you recommend?
While I don't have to meet ADA for this private residential install but it's still the only point of referance I have... ADA spec is 36" minimum. That seems tight to me. I'd use a scooter now but the future is uncertain.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Re: Ramp width recommendations

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jun 2018, 09:51

With a wheelchair thats programmed properly (no stock chair or tech programmed chair need apply) I need 1 inch wider than the chair only. At any speed.

So a 28 inch wide ramp is plenty at 6 or 8 mph. For me. Minimum.

The opposite extreme, a grandma, a front drive chair (even if programmed well/how I would), or mid drive chair programmed typically badly as almost all are, or a chair driven by someone with less than perfect hand coordination, or badly positioned joystick as most are, wobble mounting, incorrect technique, dodgy programming might need an extra 6 inches width, or 12 inches in some cases for relaxed ease of use.

So... Whats the correct width?
My van ramp is 28 inches between edges. I never hit them, and I go in in reverse mostly. I can go in there forwards flat out (I dont, I might not stop!) but hittng it accurately and centrally is simple and no risk at all. Its 2 inches wider than my chairs tyres. That only needs proper programming/and technique. I could MANAGE with just that. But why would I?

So its kind of up to you! If building a long ramp, used every day, and for ease of access, I would want it much wider. Maybe 4 feet? AB People dont want to be single file. You may be carrying something wider in/out. So IF SPACE ALLOWS maybe 4 feet or 4 foot 6 inches? Depends on situation. Built nicely so it looks good, wider looks better and is easier for everyone. Able bodied often prefer ramps to stairs too remember. Especially with kids, prams, or for workmen with tools/equipment/furniture. Wide, open entrances are better for all. A human with shopping bags can be 4 feet wide alone!

So depends on room available, cost, situation, and asthetics, ease of use as much as how wide it needs to be for simple access.

That probably didnt help much.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby EdwinC » 09 Jun 2018, 18:42

As a wheelchair user for 52 years, I would say at least 4 feet
EdwinC

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jun 2018, 21:05

I did have in mind 4 feet width... but I have no basis for that thought. I have scootered a few ADA ramps at businesses with my TravelScoot but it's quite small & maneuverable.
flagman1776

Postby rlnguy » 11 Jun 2018, 21:58

It depends a bit on the configuration-straight on, and off, can be narrower, but if you have to turn at the top, or bottom, needs more room.
Keep in mind, you might at some point need a wider/less maneuverable chair.
I had an issue a few years ago, where we needed to get an ambulance gurney up our-and I was glad it was as wide as it was.
(4'), (so were the paramedics)
rlnguy

Postby rustyjames » 11 Jun 2018, 22:55

3' wide is pretty much standard in the US and has worked fine for me. That's what the aluminum modular ramps typically are, with 4'x4' landings. But it doesn't hurt to go wider, especially if you're having one built as it doesn't add much to the cost.
rustyjames

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jun 2018, 23:14

My disability is Progressing. It's likely a Power Chair is in my future, sooner rather than later. Plans are:
Bottom: of the ramp is straight in.
No mid landings.
Top: a 5 foot long X width of the ramp landing with turn onto deck.

4 foot width would give much more wiggle room for the turn at the top.
flagman1776

Postby ex-Gooserider » 12 Jun 2018, 01:06

As others have said - 36" min, 48" is better if you have room... The big thing is to allow plenty of room on any turning landings - again look at ADA numbers for minimums... If you live in snow country, it might be worth thinking about designing for being able to get up and down with a snow-blower....

If building from scratch, it might be worth looking at planning sizes to optimize cut lengths for the size lumber you will be using...

Also talk to your local building inspectors about any requirements they might have - most places you theoretically need to pull a permit and keep the inspectors happy (I won't get into the outrage I feel about the notion of needing the government's permission to work on ones own property... :cussing )

Years back we built our ramp more or less per the plans that I think were on line, posted by the Minnesota Ramp Project (might be wrong on the state) as a way to build a ramp that met codes without needing a lot of foundation work...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby flagman1776 » 08 Jul 2018, 00:05

I am working on creating a scale drawing from my sketch... the plan is have a deck come off the house with a 4' x 6' landing extending beyond it. A turn onto the single straight ramp which runs parallel to the house. I had guesstimated 42 foot of ramp. The house is 48 feet long. I can't start at the very corner of the house. This has the ramp termination 6 feet (or more) beyond the house which is unacceptable. This is the most reasonable plan we've ever come up with... it's so close I can taste it.

I'm contemplating the choices.
Move the start point of the ramp somehow... don't see how yet... so the termination moves accordingly.
Make the ramp steeper than ADA.
A ramp with a turn... additional landing... would really sork. (There's a cliff with huge boulders at the edge of the upper yard & this would push out into space.)
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jul 2018, 10:33

A ramp with a turn... additional landing... would really sork. (There's a cliff with huge boulders at the edge of the upper yard & this would push out into space.)

Do that, will look better and cool, be compact at ground level. Make it big at the top, with a few chairs and a table for beers, bbq/sunset. Nobody will ever notice its a wheelchair ramp. Just a cool extension.

You could even get a construction company to build it by shuttering, pouring concrete. Inc low walls. Concrete cheap, more permanant look, and doesent need maintainance. Can hang out in space safely, very strong with re-bar. Of course I dont know what your house looks like. Here all brick, so would look ok. If your house is wood, not so much!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 10 Jul 2018, 01:38

The lengthy reply I wrote yesterday... about the plan I spent 2 days evolving... didn't take. Maybe it's for the best as the wife, who I'd shown the sketches several times... remembered a detail that the revised plan was totally incompatible with. Brilliant!
So I trashed 2 days worth of work... & nothing to do but go back to the earlier version. I don't think there's much wiggle room in the layout.

The A Hole contractor we had price the original plan gave a non-itemized quote roughly twice what It should cost. I have someone else, "a high priced contractor", pricing it... I'm curious what he'll bid.
flagman1776

Postby jeffreyclay » 10 Jul 2018, 12:34

Burgerman wrote:

Do that, will look better and cool, be compact at ground level. Make it big at the top, with a few chairs and a table for beers, bbq/sunset. Nobody will ever notice its a wheelchair ramp. Just a cool extension.

You could even get a construction company to build it by shuttering, pouring concrete. Inc low walls. Concrete cheap, more permanant look, and doesent need maintainance. Can hang out in space safely, very strong with re-bar. Of course I dont know what your house looks like. Here all brick, so would look ok. If your house is wood, not so much!

I'm sure others have this problem so it must be considered. My castle is built of pale Russian granite and that color is no longer available. South Dakota granite is close but has veins of quartz in it. Is there a man-made substitute or perhaps a permanent stain than could solve this problem? Meanwhile I will be calculating the tonnage of stone needed. Cheers czy
When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away.
Stay Safe, Stay Armed!
NRA Life member-Patron level
KJ4RWH Amateur Radio license
jeffreyclay

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2018, 13:00

You have a castle? Moat? Drawbridge?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jeffreyclay » 10 Jul 2018, 13:49

Well no, but I do have a sense of humor ;) beer
When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away.
Stay Safe, Stay Armed!
NRA Life member-Patron level
KJ4RWH Amateur Radio license
jeffreyclay

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2018, 13:57

Me too!

New scientist:
People who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.

And this ignores suicides, accidental shooting of you or your family, or your kids finding it and accidentally shooting themselves or you. Or deaths and injuries from ricochets. Hilarious no? Although they all FELT safer! :clap

Yes, I know, you are different. The facts are all out to get you/wrong. Etc.

And I would love a castle with moat/drawbridge. Maybe a few crocs. And would declare independance. Burgerland. Maybe 2 or 3 cannons...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jul 2018, 01:07

While I've been drawing scale plans that fit... wife just changed her mind & doubled the size deck she wants. The latest contractor brought my sketches back.
Yes, the house is wood.
I'm done. I'm wasting my time & effort if she's going to keep doing this.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jul 2018, 10:39

Ah. Thats marriage. Its why I am not! :dance The mistake you made was menioning it, before the guys turned up to build it. A cannon at the top to anounce holidays and deter enemies? And to fire burned bbq food away?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jul 2018, 15:32

Will this do? 1.75" bore. Belongs to me. Right to keep & bear arms!
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jul 2018, 18:30

Its a start. :D But no. Way smaller than I was imagining. Thats a fireplace ornament :shifty:

Something about this size should make a good wake up alarm. And likely knock down the house when fired.

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2018, 01:30

Slightly more seriously, do you ever fire that thing? Its brass. Is that strong enough? I might stand back a bit... Once saw a shotgun explode under testing. And those are not brass. :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Jul 2018, 03:15

Of course, I fire it. It is naval bronze. It is built to specifications & has passed inspection and testing. It fires 500 grains of black powder. There are 2 inches of medal surrounding the chamber on all sides and rear. Proportionally, way more than any shotgun.
It is not a toy. One does need to know & follow the entire drill.
State of the art circa 1776-1812. Often deployed in the fighting tops of warships & the rails of smaller vessels & privateers.
Maybe my deck needs a gun port?
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2018, 03:31

Certainly does! And we need a picture! With smoke. :clap

Your wife will not let you! :ak47
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Jul 2018, 14:05

Dusk over the pond 4th July

Fire In The Hole!

Smoke & Fire!

Wife took the pictures.
Note: water bucket on the ground for mandatory sponging barrel between shots. The rest of the cannon tools are out of frame.
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Jul 2018, 17:43

We actually fired blank loads hourly all afternoon. The neighbors came over & wanted more! It was barely light enough to load that last shot. We secured the piece & took seats to watch the fireworks across the water.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2018, 17:53

Looks like a lot of fun.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 13 Jul 2018, 00:03

Yes. It's a real blast! LOL! :lol:
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 28 Aug 2018, 16:56

OK. I'm planning on acquiring a 3 wheel scooter to dedicate for parking to kitchen door transport. 3 wheel for maneuvering.
I'm about to forward the deck & ramp plans to yet another contractor. I've settled on a straight ramp, 4 feet wide, the length of the house. I'm a little tight on length at ADA incline.
At the top I need a landing and make a 90 degree turn into a large deck space. ADA calls for a 4 x 6 foot landing. I'm debating squeezing the landing down to 4 x 4 to save me 2 feet of ramp length. I'll probably be hanging up on that corner if I do.
flagman1776

Postby ex-Gooserider » 04 Sep 2018, 06:20

I have to admit I've never understood why the preference some have for scooters vs. power chairs - seems like even a stock, factory programmed power-chair gives better maneuverability and a smaller footprint than a comparable class scooter, and doesn't have all the tiller and front end stuff in the way... The only advantage I see to a scooter is more mileage out of any given size battery, but for a short range machine that hardly seems like an important concern....

When the ramp on our house was built, we kept the suggested ADA landing sizes where we had turns, but opted to NOT put in the ADA required 'rest landings' in the straight run, figuring that using that space to reduce the pitch was more useful... I have pulled the ramp in my manual and it is definitely a long stretch, but I don't know that it would be that much easier to have had a steeper ramp with a break in the middle...

At both turn landings, the ramp enters and exits along the same side of the ramp, so there is an inside corner that never really gets used, and I suppose that it wouldn't have been an issue to lop off that corner so as to make a sort of 5-sided landing, but that would have been harder to build and not really had any advantage, so we kept it rectangular.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby flagman1776 » 02 Oct 2018, 16:20

The building inspector insists on a rest landing if the ramp is over 30 feet in length... per ADA. Putting a landing mid ramp would put the end in the middle of the driveway. It pisses me off that my choice is taken away by rules... and people who will never use one. We are redrawing the deck plans to run down 2 sides with a turn to get the section length under 30 feet. Widening the ramp to match the required 5' x 5' landing size which will be better for turns.

If I need mobility indoors... I'm sure a WC will be better. For distances outdoors, a scooter is better.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 02 Oct 2018, 16:24

per ADA. Putting a landing mid ramp would put the end in the middle of the driveway. It pisses me off that my choice is taken away by rules...

Personally I would tell them its none of their damned business. We would need to comply with rules like that for a publically owned or accessed building or business. But for you own home that you own its up to you provided you are paying the bill.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair