HMC Servo Device info/programming?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

HMC Servo Device info/programming?

Postby 2many2ls » 12 Jun 2018, 18:48

I got a piece of HMC equipment with some parts I bought and I'd like to program it to work with a Permobil F3. I'm not sure what you call the device. It's an output device, basically a servo motor that rotates a shaft that you can connect to various mounting arms. It includes a small interface box. I found no hits with a general internet search of the numbers on the unit (T/No: 2007-7001a, PAB No: 309864-99-0). It came with an Omni and has a 9-pin D-Sub connector that I assume was connected to the Omni.
HMC_1.jpg

I want to rig it up it to allow my wife to swing away her Tobii Dynavox device using head switches. I don't have my own programmer interface yet. I haven't had time to digest all the information here on DIY r-net programming and don't know exactly what I should buy. I may just have the dealer try to program it but it would be the prefer to have some information rather than let them stumble around at their hourly rate. Either way, some programming info would be nice to have. Does anyone have any information on programming these old HMC output devices?
2many2ls

Re: HMC Servo Device info/programming?

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2018, 18:55

I doubt your dealer will be able.

You are likely to need to buy an R-Net OEM level programmer. "They" dont like the end user having these tools. Even though many of us are more capable of figuring out this stuff than the so called experts. And obviously best placed to know what we want. But thats how it is.

What does the device actually do? Just a simple servo?
Proportional?
The omni has inputs and outputs.

You might want to read this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... VJmW0PVQJ2
And
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... rpBWd5My7A
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 2many2ls » 12 Jun 2018, 23:37

I have found the Omni and r-net programming manuals online before. I can't find anything on this device. Even pinouts or basic connection schematic would help. It could be that the device would just be recognized as a generic type that you program as one of the built-in device types. Without a complete r-net test setup (don't want to accidentally mess up the wife's chair) and programming tools I can't tell.

As I said, I got it as parts package. I took a chance because the price was worth it for the compact joystick alone. The seller (ebay) was just an individual who didn't know anything. It came with the arm shown in the picture below which had the compact joystick on the end. It could be as simple as it just rotated the joystick into place when the chair was turned on.
HMC_3.jpg

I doubt it's a proportional device. It just rotates a heavy duty shaft. It would need just a CW or CCW logic with built-in limit stops at the extremes, or maybe an encoder and some sort of feedback signal to tell the controller what angle it's currently at. The Omni manual mentions IOM (Input Output Modules) in the acronym list but does not address them in the text. Doesn't seem like it would be programmed as a SID type as it's not really in input device. However, the only useable connector on it is the 9 pin (no r-net). There is also a round DIN type connector so it could be that I am missing a box to bridge r-net to this device. Another possibility is that it's programmed as a dummy SID and the "output" is simply the 12V power on pin 7. That would complicate my programming plan if both Omni ports power up pin 7 as soon as power is turned on.

As far as programming, I'm aware there is dealer (Permobil) programming software available and OEM is sort of available if you know where to get it. But, I need an r-net to USB dongle, correct? I can buy the dongle from my Permobil dealer for not much more than they are currently asking on ebay. I'm guessing that includes an "official" license of the Permobil SW but I don't know if their dongle also works with OEM programming SW. If I want to try OEM SW, what version of the dongle do I need? I assume there is some sort of key embedded in either the dongle or the SW or someone would have hacked the r-net interface by now.
2many2ls

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jun 2018, 00:03

The r-net to USB is also the locking device that stops you using the programming software. The software is easy. The correct OEM dongle less so. You wont get that from permobil. There are ways though, if you are prepared to pay. But you better be sure as its not cheap.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 13 Jun 2018, 00:14

It isn't cheap.

How much?

Isn't there a pirate or generic version?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jun 2018, 00:16

Not for r-net.

Although there is a pain in the butt workaround to make it possible to change the dealer version file with OEM changes, and writing it back to the chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 13 Jun 2018, 00:20

Is R-net a trademark?

Is R-net a powerchair model?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jun 2018, 01:20

R-net is a controller, a family of components that is very widely used by many powerchair manufacturers. Its made by PG drives. http://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Produ ... R-net.aspx
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 13 Jun 2018, 18:14

R-net is a controller, a family of components that is very widely used by many powerchair manufacturers. Its made by PG drives. http://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Produ ... R-net.aspx

OK.
martin007

Return to Everything Powerchair