Here is one I found.

http://www.easecushion.com
sacharlie

Re: Active alternating air cushions???

Postby sacharlie » 20 Jul 2018, 21:14

sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2018, 03:04

I would love to go online, order one. From EITHER of those companies. But guess what. The same old issue with almost every medical product. They wont let you, all about them assessing you, hidden pricing, etc etc. So I cannot just buy one and not a clue how much they want in cash!!!

Where is the BUY NOW button?
Where is the PRICE?

We are too stupid to deal with all that.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 21 Jul 2018, 10:34

The price to buy is $3900
ICEUK

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2018, 10:41

Did you add a extra zero there by mistake? :eh:

I am going to make my own. :shifty:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2018, 10:54

http://www.thelivingcentre.co.uk/smartm ... shion.html

http://www.thelivingcentre.co.uk/fileup ... 319626.pdf tech/user pdf.

£430 delivered, pay one click paypal. Uses 3S 5000mAh lithium polymer battery and has a 36 hour run time, garanteed 24. So it uses just 200mA to run. Its pump is tiny. Once battery removed. And so a 12v inverter from ebay can run it from your chair battery instead. Now I dont like the cushion itself, so would throw that away, build my own slightly larger one with firm sides and front and sit this air part inside it.

Many more to go at at far less than those impossible to buy US ones.

https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/alterna ... hions.html
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 21 Jul 2018, 19:08

Yeah those companies don't show much on the guts of these cushions.
I found this though with links to reviews on other brands at the bottom.

http://www.usatechguide.org/itemreview.php?itemid=10
sacharlie

Postby hobie1dog » 22 Jul 2018, 03:29

User reply

Nancy from Florida submitted this review on May 6th 2010 at 08:25 PM. Nancy is an end user who has over a year of experience with the product.
Strengths: few, I purchased this cushion about 4 years ago. It was $3500. It helped somewhat when I had a stage 4 sacral wound. But then it became problematic. The cells which are foam with air began to flatten out. I had to send it back 3 times at my expense to have it modified. Customer service is not very nice if you start to have problems with their cushions. And we were stupid enough to buy another battery and cushion for over $2500 because they convince me the new model was better. Well it was painful and I have not used it for about 6 months. we are out over $7000 when you include all the shipping costs we incurred. It definitely is not worth the money.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jul 2018, 13:28

Well today we have the same old problem again.

I spent much of the last 2 years waiting months at a time for a sitting bone, left side tuborosity, to heal. Then after a day or two days up into a chair its back. Over and over. Rinse and repeat. Tried home made shaped foam cushions with cutouts, and harder edges etc, tried 2 different gel cushions Jay2 and this Libra Matrix invacare one, and tried various other cushions with air (quadro select) and with the little triangles...

Pissed off, cannot miss any more summers. I am going to try one of these alternating cushions.
But out of my pocket. So which one???

Will call a few companies today. :evil:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jul 2018, 13:57

https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/alterna ... ystem.html

£410 uk pounds. 24 hour + lithium.
Or direct from wheelchair battery once I get my hands on it.

ORDERED... Lets see if this works. If it does, then all my other cushions are for sale and I will get 2 or 3 of these.

Cushion Specifications

Dimensions: 45 x 50 x 10cm (17.5 x 19.5 x 4")
Weight: 2.4kg (5.3lb)
Cell structure: Cell-on-foam

Pump Specifications

Dimensions: 19 x 10 x 6cm (7.5 x 4 x 2.5")
Weight: 1kg (2.2lb)
Max load: 130kg (286.6lb)
Cycle time: 5 or 10 minutes
Power input: AC220 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz
Air output: 6 - 8 litres/minute
Pressure range: 50 - 100mmHg
Battery: Li-polymer 606696 3S1P, 11.1V, 4300mAh
Enclosed pump fitted with hanging straps
Optional remote control available

Will use my Jay2 covers. Do not like the one it comes with.

Reliability? Unknown. It ises a LiPo 4.3Ah x 3S so runs on 12V. So will be likely be removing the battery, adding a 24/12V inverter in its place, and connecting to a small connector, direct to my various chairs batteries. I am not going to mess about charging it seperately every day... And wont miss 4Ah from 120 to 160Ah of lithium in my chairs.

Its easy to tell if it works, the sore will heal instead of getting worse... And if so they do a bed version too!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 23 Jul 2018, 17:10

Please keep us updated as to how your cushion works out. I see lots of advertising in New Mobility magazine for it.
For your wound, I like the Mepilex AG border and Silver rope antibiotic. It cured a Stage IV sacral wound for me.
I had an Russian nurse, best advice she gave me, old-school, was to get off the bed and sit upright on an air cushion for an hour and then return to bed. I also use a low air loss mattress, uncomfortable but it seems to work. Once I started getting out of bed for a short period of time, I think it let the wound drain and promote healing. Eat lots of protein or protein drinks. It's different for everyone wound care… But worth a shot.

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/mepilex.html

F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jul 2018, 17:14

My district nurse used that. I am using that aquagel for horses at the moment! :shifty:

Since this recurs, repeatedly and then takes 6 weeks to heal over and over, and its actually pretty small, this will be a good test to see if a cheap air cushion/pump can cure and prevent the problem. It takes the errors out of the equasion. This has been reliably breaking down and healing for almost 3 years. Within a week. If when it arrives, wednesday, I can get up, and it heals ANYWAY, then that kind of proves the point. And so the alternate air cell cushions are the answer. And really theres no need for them to be expensive.

The cushion base is or can be just DIY type foam, or a cheap moulded foam cushion with a correctly sized rectangular cut out in the rear part of the cushion. The air cells are 2 inches and a half deep. Sitting on a 1 inch firm foam base. So easy to construct on your bed if you need a bigger or smaller cusion. Since it comes in 17.5 wide and 19 deep only. So a hot wire will make it smaller, and some added foam will make it bigger if needed.

The air cells are available seperately, as is the pump. See those chinese auction sites. And we dont need a cover or an expensive lithium battery. Since if you have a powerchair that will have its own power.

So theres no need for £££$$$ prices.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jul 2018, 19:03

I may go into the cushion business. I can make these in many sizes, with no battery, very cheaply. Or just buy the cells and pumps in bulk for DIYers.

The parts seperately are not expensive.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 23 Jul 2018, 23:58

I have bottom issues because I sit so much. I have had little luck with OTC cushions & less with DME suppliers (even with a Rx) since I'm not in a WC. I would be very interested in DIY or kit offerings. It would be a great service. End users have various power options available already... all we need is a readily available compatible plug.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 00:08

Well I will take a look when it arrives to see how practical it is to do. But I think its easy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 24 Jul 2018, 02:58

Because we are into POWER here... It would be interesting to know how much power a cushion would draw over a set number of hours. I presume it would vary with the number of cells? If we knew it would require a 10ah pack or something for X hours... an option would be to drive it with that size of hobby packs for those without a powered chair... or a power supply for a fixed location. Totally doable.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 03:14

Thats easy.

We know it uses a 3S LiPo of 4.3Ah. We also know that this is safe for "significantly over 24 hours" in their words.
So worst possible case is 4Ah per 24H at 11.2V which is 44watt hours per complete day since they will not be using 100 percent power. Thats approx 1.86 watt hours per hour to run.

So at 24V from a powerchair thats 77mA of current. Plus 10% inverter efficiency. So add 8mA. 85mA. So rounded up, to 100mA about 2.4Ah per day. Or 0.6Ah per 8 hours.

If on a manual chair powered with a 3 cell hobby lipo, then as it says its about 1Ah per 8 hours. Not very much.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 24 Jul 2018, 17:50

Great! So power is a non-issue. Where would you go to source the air cells? I'd like to give it a try.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 18:27

Chinese auction sites.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 24 Jul 2018, 20:00

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4269

Been using them for 4 years. I tried some models which use onboard batteries but all of the ones I tried the compressors were so noisy they drove me mad. So I use the 240v design and they really are quiet. I currently power it with a cheap 300w inverter which has proved very reliable and up to the job. I had to put resistors on the fan tho as that proved too noisy for me as well.

My current cushion is a Sidhil Serenade 2 which I really like. Not sure of the price for a new one, or if indeed I would be allowed to buy one refering back to what Burgerman was saying. But I picked it up for £150 on ebay
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 20:11

New? About 400. Not sure what you mean about allowed to buy?

Tell me is it good for pressure ulcer prevention, and do you have any pictures of its internals or without cover?

Mine will be here tomorrow. But I will be sitting on it making photos a bit difficult!!! :cussing

If it looks decent, will get a backup one. And ebay all my others to pay for it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 20:16

Been using them for 4 years. I tried some models which use onboard batteries but all of the ones I tried the compressors were so noisy they drove me mad. So I use the 240v design and they really are quiet. I currently power it with a cheap 300w inverter which has proved very reliable and up to the job. I had to put resistors on the fan tho as that proved too noisy for me as well.

There are ways to make them quiet. And there are ways to take the pump from a mains one and modify to run at low voltage. How big is your mains powered one? Any pictures? And or specs?

A 300 watt inverter is massive overkill. A single circuit board that runs from your chair can do 240V and be smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I can see some DIY ahead!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 24 Jul 2018, 20:54

Compressor.jpg

The internals of the box.

Do they work? As you know everybody is different, all I can say is they work for me. I'm trying to find a side-on picture of my chair I took a while ago to post showing where I've mounted it.
stevelawiw

Postby stevelawiw » 24 Jul 2018, 20:57

Burgerman wrote:I would love to go online, order one. From EITHER of those companies. But guess what. The same old issue with almost every medical product. They wont let you, all about them assessing you, hidden pricing, etc etc. So I cannot just buy one and not a clue how much they want in cash!!!

Where is the BUY NOW button?
Where is the PRICE?

We are too stupid to deal with all that.

I was refering to this post when I said 'if I'm allowed to buy'
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 20:58

Yes that was an american site, and a cushion that costs plenty thousands!

Looks like most of that pump does nothing much? There are many pumps on ebay very cheap, and smaller. So if the battery one is noisy I will buy an ebay quiet 240V pump, and redesign...

Thanks for the pic.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 24 Jul 2018, 21:34

No worries. I hope it works for you. Pretty much all paraplegics (and people with other conditions, of course) know what it's like to have to spend days on end laying down when you're feeling fine and want to get up and do stuff. You seem to have had more then your share of bad luck.
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 22:03

2 or more years of it bar a few weeks.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 24 Jul 2018, 23:13

stevelawiw wrote:http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4269

My current cushion is a Sidhil Serenade 2 which I really like. Not sure of the price for a new one, or if indeed I would be allowed to buy one refering back to what Burgerman was saying. But I picked it up for £150 on ebay

I have the same concerns as the goose stated in the above link. Like a soft top layer if the air is lost.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2018, 23:25

The other way about. They have an inch and a half layer of medium /hard foam at the bottom, and a 2 inch layer of air tubes on top. Foam on top would reduce the effectiveness.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 25 Jul 2018, 02:38

China sources have several multi-cell air cushions. Is it worth trying them with just the supplied manual pump? How deep air cells should I look for? The gel honey comb I'm sat on at the moment is only 1.5" (38.1mm)... my inclination is to think it's not enough.
flagman1776

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair