Active alternating air cushions???

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Active alternating air cushions???

Postby flagman1776 » 12 May 2020, 18:13

I am troubled by one hose coming off a small elbow. We can mostly push it back on. A day or 2 later it's off again. We tried glue. NADA. It's comfort to my rear when I can inflate it. I need a fix.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2020, 19:00

Wrong glue.

Whats it made of. What does the joint look like. You shouldnt need glue. Lets see it!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 12 May 2020, 19:33

All the alternating air cushions I own use cable ties on all the tube joints, a bit messy, but they do the job :thumbup:
stevelawiw

Postby flagman1776 » 12 May 2020, 20:07

This uses small cable tie around the tubing. I imagine when I kind of oomph into the seat, the pressure is considerable.
flagman1776

Postby stevelawiw » 12 May 2020, 20:35

If the joint that is coming apart has a cable tie on it when it comes apart, it's not tight enough.
You probably need to remove the old one, push the joint together and then use a new cable tie pulled tight!
stevelawiw

Postby flagman1776 » 12 May 2020, 22:28

Or I'm too heavy. czy
flagman1776

Postby stevelawiw » 13 May 2020, 11:15

Some cushions are sold with a 20st limit, some with 25, but I think it's always the pump that's the limiting factor, not the cushion.
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 13 May 2020, 13:48

Its not the pressure. Do you realise how low the pressure of a 50 stone bloke sat on a cushion is? Its low. Very low. Its not the air pressure pushing the tube off. In any case, whatever weight is sat on top, the PUMP determines the pressure of around a few PSI (2?) when working and that is the same eact pressure no matter what the user weight. If its already inflated, and you sat down hard I doubt you would double that for an instant.

Some problem with loose fitting, too short, getting pulled when pumped/sat on, or the tube lost some elasticity or stretched or something. Buy more tube. Be sure angles and lengths are correct. Be sure its assembled clean with no waxes or oils/grease or glues. And make sure with a thin small quality cable tie, that is corectly applied. It should never come off. The same types of connections and tube work for e.g. on air horns. At 35 to 45PSI.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 13 May 2020, 15:13

It's only one side of this one L connector that comes off. Naturally, I shut the pump off before getting up... sometimes I switch it off when I'm sitting. I just need enough to cradle my bumm. But I'm not steady on my feed and I do tend to fall onto the seat.
I think I'll try replacing the zip tie first.
I've wondered about wrapping a cable tie around the elbow in a figure 8 as a retainer?
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 14 May 2020, 07:43

No need to bodge things. Just do as I said above. It should not come off. Or show any tendency to at such low pressures. So the tube is stretched, or needs replacement correctly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 20 May 2020, 03:23

A lot of tubing will take a 'set' or stretch out when put onto a connector, and once that happens it doesn't take a lot to pop it off again... (Some varieties are worse than others about this, but it's more often the case than not...)

Best is to use new clean tubing, next best is to cut off the bit that was on the connector to get back to 'new' material, then put it on and fasten with a properly tensioned and sized zip tie as others have said... I like to swab the connector and the inside of the tube w/ isopropyl first to make sure there is no grease or oil on the parts.

I use a 'tie-wrap gun' for tensioning, but the same thing can be accomplished by using two pairs of pliers (one keeping the head still, the other pulling the end tight... You want to be just shy of breaking the tie, and have it tight enough that it is mashing down into the tube material a bit....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby hobie1dog » 24 May 2020, 06:00

AlexAGF wrote:I was able to purchase two new BOS Combo 100 Cushions on eBay, costing only £99 each.

None of those seem to be available on the USA Ebay site.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby Burgerman » 24 May 2020, 06:05

Try the chinese auction sites. And tabao and aliexpress etc. Sometims very cheap.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 02 Jun 2020, 18:12

I am looking at a tie wrap tightener. I have plenty of tie wraps but never used them in place of a hose clamp. I could install the tubing again then install a new tie.

The last time I popped off I tucked it into the velcro wrap the holds the cushion to the remaining bit of foam. The tubing may have snagged the chair as the cushionng moves about some as I struggle to get up. I'm on the third day with it on which may be a record (since it first escaped.)

I would like an air cushion under my legs... need not be active... on my power lift chair.
flagman1776

Postby hobie1dog » 03 Jun 2020, 04:21

I finally ordered the mobi cushion today. they had a discount and free shipping so it was $228.00
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby hobie1dog » 10 Jun 2020, 14:04

Cushion arrived, it has a purple cover instead of blue one as pictured. not impressed with the results. The front of the cushion hurts the bottom of my legs.

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jun 2020, 16:11

As I said. The cushion is crap. Imade my own and used only the air part. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8081&start=60

And remember its not made for comfort. Its designed to promote blood flow to prevent necrosis of your ass!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hobie1dog » 11 Jun 2020, 19:40

I've decided to return the cushion as it just wasn't working out for me.

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby hobie1dog » 18 Jun 2020, 16:48

I hate it when it cost you $25.00 to send something back to get a refund. :cussing

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby sacharlie » 25 Oct 2022, 00:44

So who here is still using their cushion?
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 25 Oct 2022, 00:55

I gave up, the roho with ultra hygene, and patient lift combined = no sores came back yet.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 25 Oct 2022, 13:24

Burgerman wrote:I gave up, the roho with ultra hygene, and patient lift combined = no sores came back yet.

Do you think the alt cushion made your wound worse?
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 25 Oct 2022, 16:31

No it was better than the gel cushions. But the sores came back in the end.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 25 Oct 2022, 23:58

Looks like I'm finally getting some help from a state agency that makes custom molded seating. We'll be attempting remove seatback, mount leg troughs on the side, and add a big cushion under my belly, chest, and chin. The idea is to sit kind of like a kneeling massage chair, or a crotch rocket motorcycle. Nothing touching my butt at all. They heard it was done once on the other end of the state and willing to try.

I know that isn't what most people want, but if you have a backup chair, and get frequent pressure sores on your butt, it might make an acceptable chair while you heal. I figure I'll use the footrest to hold my laptop out in front of me and carry things.

No schedule yet but Im hoping to get in before the new year while deductibles are already paid. If anyone thinks they might use something like that please tell me what your reasons are. Trying to justify it to insurance, but its a tough battle because DME doesn't want anything to do with it.

Version 1 lots of flex on overloaded actuator, feels like it could break, but easily returned to standard seat config.
Q6couch.jpg
Q6 reclined, couch cushion added, knees on push bar, drive with attendant stick
Q6couch.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 716 times

Version 2 first test, abandoned typical seating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlF43YReVEc
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 26 Oct 2022, 06:35

I struggle to understand how that is going to help really. Having ridden superbikes across europe I could not wait to get into a normal seat! I even had to remove underwear as the thickness if the edges of the things was digging into my skin and causing sores due to high pressure. And you lost feeling in your genitals! Due to the pressure on the wrong bit off your anatomy for long periods. They are not built for comfort.

There a reason that sports bikes perform best on a racetrack, or short trips. And tourers have you sat in a more conventional fashion. You suffer the discomfort on a sports/racebike because its the only way to brace yourself against against the 1.5G mental acceleration. It feels the same as driving vertically up a wall. And to be out of the 180mph airflow. Tourers dont usually do that, at least by user choice, so you can sit more comfortably for long distances at more sane speeds.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair