CONNECTING HYPERION TO (2) 6 VOLT BATTERIES

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

CONNECTING HYPERION TO (2) 6 VOLT BATTERIES

Postby wilsonintexas » 28 Jul 2018, 20:29

I know now that I should have gotten a pl8..... but I have a hyperion 0730i and have version 5.8 (I think) of the firmware.

I want to set it up to charge and balance 2 6 volt batteries.

When I setup the hyperion for 6 volts, it says 3 cells (which is correct) but I do not have access to the internal cell connections.

When I set it up to 12 volts, it says 6 cells.

So

Is there a way to wire the balance connector to try and balance 2 6 volt batteries wired in series?
wilsonintexas

Re: CONNECTING HYPERION TO (2) 6 VOLT BATTERIES

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jul 2018, 21:21

Lead batteries cannot be balanced in that way. As the time taken by changing or reading a voltage to actually determine state of charge is about 16 to 20 hours. So the readings of voltage would be meaningless and do not tell us the state of charge.

A lead batteries fully charged voltage is about 13.1V for a 6 cell battery.
Or 26.2V for a series connected pair or 12 cell battery.
Or in your case 6.55 for 3 cells.
In all cases thats about 2.183V per cell. Remember that we charge at 14.4V, typically, or 2.40V per cell.

If you hold a cell above its fully charged voltage, then it cant charge more than it holds, more than 100 percent, and instead it just gently gasses. Turns the water in the electrolyte to oxygen and hydrogen at a slow controlled rate set by charge CV Voltage. And then it recombines these gases back into water... So it wastes energy on the full cells as heat of recombination, while the lower cells are still charging and catching up.

So the very act of charging a lead battery at a carefully controlled and chosen voltage that is higher than the battery "full" voltage balances the cells. This works fine as long as all the cells are already pretty close in voltage, as they should be on any 3S 6S or 12S monoblock battery. So charging lead correctly also balances it.

Its possible though that you have one battery that is say 5% more charged, than another, if you have 2 batteries. Or worse. Series charging will damage these batteries as they are too far apart. So ideally you connect both 3, 6 cell 12V batteries in parallel and charge normally. In your case with 3 cell batteries you just connect them in parallel, and charge as a single 3 cell battery. Each one charges each other until they are both at the same state of charge. Then you can install them, as they are now both full 100% and charge in series as per one big 6 cell 12V battery. Which will fine balance the cells automatically every charge.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wilsonintexas » 29 Jul 2018, 10:17

Thanks... again.

Since they are currently wired in series

Originally I put on the hyperion, but it is using a small power supply and was not making much progress.

I put the charger on each one and charged them individually. She has a pretty good car charger (more than the cheap metal box things.....) I set it to a 12 amp charge.I put the first one on for 24 hours, and did not have a chance to check it much. Tge next day it was at 100% . The second one read 40% charged when I first put it in the charger. I started it at 12 amps. It stayed at 40% charged for at least an hour, so I let it run overnight. I did not check it until the next afternoon, it then read 100%. I Know that that is not very meaningful.

I have the blue tooth module ordered for the hyperion. I will try to connect it up to a computer and see if I can get some graphs. BUT I have a large learning curve on how to do that.

I plan to let the hyperion charge each 6 volt and then get some charts. I will then put a load on the batteries and draw them down some..... and again charge each one and capture the chart. I might have something that will let me make a decision.....

or......

I hope to be on the road in 3 weeks, and there is a lot to do to get ready. It may be easier to just buy 2 new batteries, charge them in parallel and then put them in the RV.....

During the trip I will be driving almost every day for 6-10 hours. That should charge them.

A lot of people say bad things about Wallmart.... but most of them let you part the RV for the night for free. So we may be stopping by a few of them for the night. This will work until I get to Texas. so I will be staying in parks and plugging in so I can run the Air Conditioner.

The upper US is still cool overnight......

There are a few stops we want to make for a fe days and we will pull into a camp ground and plug in.
wilsonintexas

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jul 2018, 15:14

or......

I hope to be on the road in 3 weeks, and there is a lot to do to get ready. It may be easier to just buy 2 new batteries, charge them in parallel and then put them in the RV.....

Yes that. Because unless you know what you are doing with the hyperion, and have it connected to a PC with 5.94 firmware you are wasting your time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wilsonintexas » 29 Jul 2018, 23:15

NEW BATTERIES IT IS.
JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME.
wilsonintexas

Return to Everything Powerchair