USB Phone Charger / Power Port for Power Wheelchairs

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

USB Phone Charger / Power Port for Power Wheelchairs

Postby nld3 » 13 Aug 2018, 03:26

I came across this on youtube. I thought it was a great idea so I ordered one. They are made by a Quad.

http://www.crippleconcepts.com/products

youtu.be/07Wdg0e18ec

youtu.be/4hhB9apD9_Q
nld3

Re: USB Phone Charger / Power Port for Power Wheelchairs

Postby Burgerman » 13 Aug 2018, 15:58

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rollin Positive » 13 Aug 2018, 19:18

Josh is the owner out of Colorado and makes a great product!!

It will charge the phone or table fast too and put mine in a small carrier along with a usb c cable and an iPhone cable for friends. Cant believe how may times its come in handy!!

Rollin Positive

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Aug 2018, 01:17

For what it is, it's reasonable, but seems to me like a bit of a kludge compared to the alternative of hard-wiring a USB port in and putting it anywhere on the chair that is convenient...

I don't know about this plug, but I have heard that some similar units I've seen also wire in the inhibit pin, so that you can't both drive and charge at the same time... This might make the safety nuts happy, but to me it is a real issue... A hardwired plug also solves the problem some might use to justify having the inhibit wired, namely having a plug and cord hanging out the front of the joystick pod...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby shirley_hkg » 19 Oct 2018, 04:20

Which pins are the +/- 5V ?
Attachments
IMG-20181019-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20181019-WA0003.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby woodygb » 19 Oct 2018, 07:46

USB 2.0

USB 3.0 ( USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 )

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby shirley_hkg » 19 Oct 2018, 09:36

:worship
shirley_hkg

Postby SweetBearCub » 01 Nov 2018, 01:32

I used to have the Alvey unit, which did wire the inhibit pin. I looked up a diagram to see how that was connected, and was able to partially open the unit, cut the wire, and tape it over, to defeat the inhibit.

Still had slow charging though.

My current (regular, not Qualcomm QuickCharge) Cripple Concepts unit is much faster, and does not have the inhibit pin wired.

I carry it and a 4 foot retractable cable with an Apple Lightning connector, a USB Type-C connector, and a Micro-USB connector.

Annoyingly, my phone uses USB Type-C, and my noise canceling headphones use Micro-USB. Maybe the next generation will move over to Type-C.
SweetBearCub

Postby Burgerman » 01 Nov 2018, 02:20

There are lots of different USB-C charging standards. My laptop uses those to charge. But it needs 5A and 20V dc which is the same as the Dell laptops, and pads, and apple laptops etc that charge via USB-C. So most of the USB-C phone chargers wont work on a larger USB-C device. And even the cables are not the same. They all fit. They all look alike, but thats it. Theres lots of different ones for different purposes. So not so simple.

https://www.cablestogo.com/tech/usb-3-1

https://www.cablestogo.com/tech/usb-3-1/type-c-info
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 02 Nov 2018, 13:30

I'd like to see a USB charging port installed with in every mobility devise with heavy enough wiring for all uses. Lacking that, I'd want to adapt to Anderson SB50 which is my standard power plug.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 02 Nov 2018, 15:22

Well... In a year or so it wont be much use.

USB 2 and 3 square large and oblong connectors that provide just 5V and 2A are now dead. All being replaced by the tiny symmetrical USB-C, which need 2 power supplies, and 5V as well as 20V, and at 5 Amps! As used on newer phones, my laptop, and pads etc.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11 ... 019-iphone
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 03 Nov 2018, 21:08

All the more reason why the charging port should be a plug in... to a power jack like Anderson. I'd hate to have to mod my scooter / chair all over again each time some techie decides to change things.
flagman1776

Postby expresso » 03 Nov 2018, 21:39

I dont know whats the big fuss over having a charge port for the our phones etc, are - OK i get it - this day and age - we all have Phones etc, and always need to be charged - my new chair had the option to have it installed - costs alot more than just buying a battery pack on Amazon for $20 and your good for years - no extra wiring on our chairs or more battery drain etc, -

i have a few battery banks i use - - one for my camera so i can video all Day long with no issues - one for my phone if i ever need it - unless your a person who holds the phone all day long talking - like most Zombies here do - you dont need anything really - speaking for myself - my phone is always kept charged very easy at home and before i leave the house - its full - just like our chairs are full - when riding or when i am out - i couldnt care less about whos calling to be honest - its there for me if i need to use it - not taking calls when i am out riding around - i may stop here and there just to check if i heard it ring and message was left etc,

but thats it - its in my side pouch on the chair for me - i dont bother with it - unless running a APP which drains it - it would be full 99% of the time.

https://smile.amazon.com/SOLICE%C2%AE-2 ... power+pack

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCor ... power+pack

this is all thats needed - if ever needed - 15 to 25 dollars - leave it in your side pouch thats it - done - the small one can charge your phone full twice if not more - unless your planning to go to another state on one ride - you never need it - cheap and simple - :)
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby flagman1776 » 03 Nov 2018, 23:03

Good tip!
flagman1776

Postby alfiepink » 06 Nov 2018, 19:58

Hi what about a 24v to usb would this work by any chance ?

alfiepink

Postby snaker » 07 Nov 2018, 02:06

I use the same to power my action camera. My mad trips usually take 8-9 hours and the camera has to record continuously in that time. I see that cheap voltage regulator works properly without any problem in a year.
snaker

Postby expresso » 07 Nov 2018, 02:12

you got me beat by a long shot - snaker - :) its great though to be able to ride for hours on end - i just cant convince anyone here to do it with me - many factors - but most dont care to ride for hours - too bad you are not here - we would do good together exploring -
expresso

Postby snaker » 07 Nov 2018, 02:40

Expresso, I have to add that I got exhausted and fainting several times over the roads :cussing Luckily, some kind people along the roads rescued me. The main reason is due to my chair's low speed, 14kph is not enough for long roads. We need faster chairs to take us home before needing a ... rescue :fencing Keep your fast Bounder and think about extending the battery box. We need at least 20kph (or 12mph) to explore somewhere really far.
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2018, 03:09

You need to fit a couple of these with plasma, saline, and glucose (or beer) to the rear of your chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 07 Nov 2018, 03:16

yes true - - does take a long time and i am not one to wake up as early as you do - i am extending my battery - i have 80ah cells arriving in a few days - will be making an ADD ON for the bounder - it should help my range issues - i am hoping at least to get a good solid safe 40 miles - i will test it in the summer - i solved the wheel shake on the bounder - now it dosnt shake at top speed so i am happy for that - speed feels great not goin to lie - BUT - it can and is an drawback on hills and if you want to make a fast take off etc, - it needs a bit of time to get up to speed etc, - i will try to deal with it and see how much i can handle or accept -

as bad as i hate to say it - i may end up going down to 10mph if i am not satisfied enough - since its not my only Chair - maybe i can deal with it - you are the only person i know who is like me - taking long trips rides - so i am mostly alone on my long rides - if its not a battery issue - its just a fear issue for some - they are just afraid to travel far and i understand - no one wants to deal with issues far from home - i dont either -

but if i dont live my way - whats the use of making a lithium chair and then ride for a few miles and thats it - you can do that with lead - cant teach an OLD dog new tricks as they say - taking nice long rides gives me a chance to think clear my though sometimes - - can be peaceful in the mountains - sometimes etc, -
you do your best - and hopefully we make it home safe :thumbup:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2018, 11:53

I dont do super long distance. That wasn't the point for me. I fitted large capacity lithium because of the total removal of range anxiety.

Even if a lead chair has a claimed 25 miles range, you may only get anywhere from 5 to 15 miles at best in real world conditions. And you never know when its going to be just 5...

As such most normal users are conditioned, and worry about using HALF the limited range they may have available, since they cant ever know how rapidly those reds are going to appear. I have been caught out this way at least 4 times in the past where I expected to easily have enough power to get back from some event or place. But was wrong! Oops. Screwed. For reasons of temperature, or batteries not as good as new, or a few hills, or shopping centre carpets eating power etc. So after this, range anxiety PREVENTS most seasoned chair users from doing various things, even when it would likely be perfectly safe. It rules your decisions. You change your lifestyle subconsciously to be sure you dont get stranded.

Typical example: My friend lives just 1 mile from my house, so 2 miles return. Last night he wanted to come here to grab a USB stick with some dodgy software on it. He didn't come because he wasn't sure... He had 2 just lights out. We could have gone to the pub for a couple of beers before he went home too, as I was actually up yesterday out of bed That adds another mile or so. He missed out on both things and stayed home. Even though its quite likely that it would have been no problem. Range anxiety is very real.

So having 3x the range, more than you will ever use on any single day, means the anxiety goes away. I always know that I can go to X or Y in an evening. Even if it means a 5 or 6 miles extra trip and a few pubs or restaurants over many hours. Even if I just walked the dog. And never need to even think about range or making it home as I know theres more than I can use. Its all about peace of mind. Allowing a more complete life. I NEED 50 miles of easy range to do an average of 5 to 25 daily without restriction due to worry.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 07 Nov 2018, 14:12

You guys are doing a PhD or something ?

Mine is simple . Lithium is cheaper than Gel bricks here .
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2018, 14:13

It is here too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 07 Nov 2018, 18:08

i agree the range issue with lead - makes you not want to go anywhere - being free from lead is great - i know with out worry that i can ride around the WHOLE CITY and not worry about it - and at the same time - it allowed me to travel more - longer distances and different places i couldnt do with lead - now its the norm. for me to ride 25 miles is a Avg. ride -

about USB Phone chargers - i just ordered this one . i have one already which is 3 years old and its still OK For phone charging if needed but not good enough for my camera use all day when out - i decided to replace it with a new one -

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

i also have a larger version of this one - which can hold a charge on my camera all Day in use and still have half life when i get home - its double the size of the one i just got today - -
expresso

Postby Cripple Concepts » 21 Nov 2018, 01:28

Most of the folks on this message board are not our typical customers, our average customer has never touched a soldering iron or seen a 3d printer. I made a decision a couple years ago to open source everything because I know I'd be the guy spending $100 on parts to try building my own if I wasn't the one selling them, actually that is kind of how I got into the charger business because I wasn't going to pay over $100 for a Power Buddy. There are links on the product pages for all of the components to build your own charger and I encourage people to.

Burgerman wrote:Well... In a year or so it wont be much use.

USB 2 and 3 square large and oblong connectors that provide just 5V and 2A are now dead. All being replaced by the tiny symmetrical USB-C, which need 2 power supplies, and 5V as well as 20V, and at 5 Amps! As used on newer phones, my laptop, and pads etc.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11 ... 019-iphone

Funny you mention that, we now sell a "turbo charger" that does QC3.0.....

alfiepink wrote:Hi what about a 24v to usb would this work by any chance ?

That looks like the PCB we use on the standard Cripple Concepts charger, the manufacture I've found reliable is QSKJ.
Cripple Concepts

Postby Burgerman » 21 Nov 2018, 01:43

QC3.0.....

?

USB-C with 20V and 5A? As well.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cripple Concepts » 21 Nov 2018, 02:04

Burgerman wrote:
QC3.0.....

?

USB-C with 20V and 5A? As well.

The QC3.0 protocol is a dynamic charging protocol that varies from 3.6V to 20V at up to 4.6A, I will test one tomorrow to see if I can pull 5A at 20V. The general theory is the QC protocol stuffs in power when the battery is near dead then tapers off as the battery gets closer to full. The last 2-3% takes almost as long as the first 50% from my experience, the charger gets super hot that first bit too.
Cripple Concepts

Postby Burgerman » 21 Nov 2018, 03:11

Thats because the initial part of the charge has the batteries at a low voltage compared to the supply voltage from the charger, and so the charge current is limited only by the charger. And current tapers off, as soon as the battery voltage matches the chargers voltage (CV, or absorption) and so the current then falls away as the battery voltage more closely matches the charger over time.

But heres your problem...

Laptops like my dell, have the new rounded reversible 20V 5A connector and charge via the USB-C port.
Phones ALSO have a USB C port, and these use 5V chargers.

Plugging a USB-C phone charger into my laptop achieves nothing. The battery voltage is way higher than the 5V supplies.
Plugging a USB-C laptop charger like the 20V one for my dell, will damage the phone. In SOME cases. Some will just disconnect the power...
The chargers are different. Theres still only one voltage or the other on most chargers.
So... What will your USB-C charger provide? It hasn't got any way to talk to the charger as far as I know, so the charger cannot know what to give...

If I measure the output on my dell USB-C charger, its 20.1V when not plugged into the laptop. That will kill a phone. Difference is 4S cells or 1S cell... Most phones expect 5V and use a voltage regulator chip to drop that to 4.20V for the battery CV charge. Most USB-C laptops use 4S and 16.80V charge, regulated from 20V supply.

Just interested.

Portable chargers: Maybe you have a portable charger with an old USB connection, but a phone that only has a USB-C connection (which is not compatible with older USB ports). You can link the charger to a laptop that has both types of ports, and use it to power up your phone in a roundabout way. The reverse is also true, if you have a portable charge that only works with USB-C connections. It’s important to keep an eye on your settings in these laptop-to-phone connections, but with the right arrangement many exchanges are possible. It’s not the most efficient method of charging, but it does work in an emergency. Do not try to use your laptop Type C charger to charge your phone directly. The voltage requirements are too different, and multi-device chargers are still a nascent part of the market. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... via-usb-c/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » 21 Nov 2018, 13:43

I'm assuming the over voltage issue would also apply to Go Pro, cameras or anything else that gets attached?
MichaelB

Postby Burgerman » 21 Nov 2018, 14:21

Never saw USB C on a go-pro. But if you connect a 20V USB C charger, like my dell one then yes. Either smoke or nothing.

What I am wondering is what voltage will the adapter provide that was mentioned from Cripple Concepts?

It cant do both, at least as far as I know. So the warning above means that it can only charge phones, or 5V gadgets, OR laptops, right now. Since theres only 4 wires in that cable. Send/receive takes up two.

THIS site did some testing.
Seems that nothing smoked. The 3.0 version universal charger thing can change voltages. My dell one cannot. But its a massive web of confusion. I just tried a phone charger, USB-C on my dell. No go... And a UNIVERSAL one rather than a dedicated laptop charger should work all but I returned one that was supposed to be 3.0 as it didn't work on the dell either. Seems like guesswork hell right now.

Pretty much a 50% lottery as these guys found out.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182 ... dream.html
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair