I will go crazy if I cannot get out of my bed!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

I will go crazy if I cannot get out of my bed!

Postby Arae83 » 16 Sep 2018, 21:36

I have two power chairs that seem to be doing the same thing. The seat functions are working fine( tilt, leg elevation, recline, & seat elevation) but I cannot drive more than a couple of wheel turns before the chair stops & I have to turn it off & back on again to do the same thing. I am thinking it may be a connection issue somewhere or a pinched wire or cable possibly. I have terrible medical insurance & I have already had them take my Q6 to get it fixed once & they only fixed visible cosmetic issues because the same problems were occurring with the faults being triggered. I am currently making payments on the other chair because that's the only way I can afford to get one myself. It was by chance a friend of mine knew someone who'se husband just died & she was willing to let me make low monthly payments on a discounted price since it was a year old. I need to figure out what I can do to fix one of these otherwise I have no other means of mobility & will not be able to carry out my daily routines at home or anywhere else. That is making me very discouraged & depressed. It is my livelihood just to be able to go outside & water my plants outside & take care of my animals. I am going to be in a bad state of mind if I cant figure this out. Can anyone give me some advice as to what I can do? I called my insurance on Friday so they will probably get back to me tomorrow & I hope they can will be able to actually help me this time. I still have the other chair to figure out how to fix & I'm not sure if I should tell my insurance about it either. Please send me positive vibes about this, I will be needing as much as possible...
Sorry for ranting but it's one of the only things I know of to do at this point. Thanks for listening.
Arae83

Re: I will go crazy if I cannot get out of my bed!

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Sep 2018, 23:16

You need to learn to be able to self diagnose common power chair problems, relying on "techs" isn't the best solution. It helps to know your way around your chair and get friends/family to help you diagnose the problem for the price of a beer and if it's a simple fix like cleaning contacts etc... It's much quicker to do this.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby martin007 » 16 Sep 2018, 23:24

but I cannot drive more than a couple of wheel turns before the chair stops & I have to turn it off & back on again to do the same thing.

Are the lights on your joystick fixed or blinking?

You need to learn to be able to self diagnose common power chair problems, relying on "techs" isn't the best solution.

I think the same.
martin007

Postby woodygb » 16 Sep 2018, 23:38

The answer to the problem appears to be this ....a completely buggered connector.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8271#p125560

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby martin007 » 16 Sep 2018, 23:41

The answer to the problem appears to be this ....a completely buggered connector.

Sorry.
martin007

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Sep 2018, 23:46

woodygb wrote:The answer to the problem appears to be this ....a completely buggered connector.

That looks as though all the contacts have been jammed into the red PP45 :shock: Can't see any in the others :?

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby woodygb » 16 Sep 2018, 23:55

steves1977uk wrote:
woodygb wrote:The answer to the problem appears to be this ....a completely buggered connector.

That looks as though all the contacts have been jammed into the red PP45 :shock: Can't see any in the others :?

Steve

The White connectors appear to be unused / unpopulated....
I am at a loss as to W.T.F. has been done to the Red!...unless someone has tried to "fix it " by jamming something into the connector ... but it is now JUNK!

I'd recommend replacing ALL 4 mating parts ...the 2 REDS and 2 BLACKS.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Clif » 27 Sep 2018, 07:17

where are you located?
Clif

Postby Burgerman » 27 Sep 2018, 09:25

Which "you"?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 02 Oct 2018, 02:42

This is also why we so strongly advise having multiple backup chairs - as even the best, most rapid techs (do they actually exist??? :worship :admirer ) will take time to respond, will need to get parts, etc... So that backup chair is the difference between being up or stuck in bed...

Hard to get a new chair, but ebay and friends will have tons of used ones for short money that might not be ideal, but will at least get you around....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair