Chin control users and joystick options

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Chin control users and joystick options

Postby MichaelB » 25 Sep 2018, 16:30

I've been using chin control for 5 years, so far I have found it the most suitable option and I have settled on using a neck/chest harness instead of a swing away chair mount.

I've just swapped my off road wheelchair to the neck/chest harness and whilst much better for bouncing the Dynamic Controls DX joystick is big and bulky with quite a long joystick throw. I've got a tracheostomy which limits where I can position the joystick.

On my Salsa I've got a Switch It micro joystick which is much smaller and far more sensitive probably on the limits of sensitivity for off road use plus quite expensive if I was to buy one.

I'm looking for feedback from other chin control users on which joystick they use and how sensitive they are. Controls are set for fast response but as per Burgerman's make it handle thread without a solid mount in the right position it is not easy to get it handling because of the joystick position and method of steering. To further complicate things setting up the DX has the challenge of a servo operating the steering.

Are there any other chin steers using the forum? If so what joystick and mount do you use?

I've tried a Mo Vis multi a while ago pre neck/chest harness and could not get it handling well but that might be the mounting method rather than the joystick.
Attachments
IMG_1783.jpg
MichaelB

Re: Chin control users and joystick options

Postby rover220 » 25 Sep 2018, 17:31

not a user but a prescriber, a very decent option is a switch it versa guide or the ez (lighter touch version) programmed with r net you can control the trhow as much as you like whilst having more control than the mini joysticks
rover220

Re: Chin control users and joystick options

Postby MichaelB » 25 Sep 2018, 17:40

I'd never seen that one but it looks like quite a large box under the stick, possibly larger than the DX. Stuck with Dynamic Controls on the off road wheelchair moving to R Net would be a big challenge with the servo steering.

I thought that it might be reasonably priced starting from $895 but then downloaded the price list eek
MichaelB

Return to Everything Powerchair