Scooter? transaxle available....

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Scooter? transaxle available....

Postby ex-Gooserider » 07 Oct 2018, 03:53

One of the other inmates at the Asylum came by my space the other day and offered me a transaxle, presumably off a scooter or possibly one of the chairs with single motor drive and servo steering....

The label on the motor is illegible, so no idea what it came off of.... There is a brake coil label that says it's made by Warner, and takes 24V...
Tires are solids, hospital green, marked 260 x 85 or 3.00-4 10X3 wheels are cast and look like split rims.

About 24" overall width, at the ends of the axle casting are mounting yokes, about 15.25" between the bolt holes, the holes in the yokes are about 3" apart.

The motor is two brush, about 3"D by 8" long, with a brake on the end. There is a lever to put it into freewheel.

I tossed it up on the bench, the brake coil measures about 6.5 ohms... It didn't click at 12 or 25V, it did at 50, but barely - I'm guessing internal corrosion or possibly partly shorted.

The motor runs no load from about 3V to 60, and draws 1-2A doing it... The gearbox / differential seems to work fine, I can hold one wheel and watch the other go twice as fast.... However it doesn't sound great, I'd probably want to do a rebuild on it with new bearings....

Considering that the guy that gave it to me is on the board of Burning Man, it has possibly been to the playa, which would be another definite reason to need a rebuild...

Definitely a good bit of rust and corrosion / dirt on it (at least one wheel looks like it might be a battle to get off...)

I don't have any significant projects that come to mind for it - if anyone is interested let me know and I'd be happy to pass it on for the cost of shipping... (It is pretty hefty, but should be UPSable...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Re: Scooter? transaxle available....

Postby mrgus2u » 29 Nov 2022, 19:40

That will keep you greasy, I mean busy, for a while. It is a very messy job, so much so that i prefer buying another transaxle to repairing the broken one. Those things are packed with grease, and when you open them, the grease goes everywhere. Good luck, and keep those wipes and hand cleaner close to you whenever you work on it. :roll:
mrgus2u

Postby slomobile » 01 Dec 2022, 01:55

Thanks for the tip about the grease.
I don't need the transaxle, but I had an idea today that you could try if you want.
A pack mule sort of robot to carry your stuff. But the neat trick is that it follows you from the front and can navigate without you explicitly controlling it. You drive your chair as normal and it attempts to stay 3 feet in front of you. It has a front and rear facing camera. The front camera looks for path borders and obstacles to avoid. The rear cam is looking back at your outline in the chair. It wants to see you straight ahead. So it assesses your profile(angle away from straight ahead) to determine how far it should steer to correct its position. It drives forward, backward, or stops until some identifiable feature on your chair occupies the right area of pixels in the rear cam image. Backup R/C joystick stashed somewhere on your chair(or bluetooth mouse mode from your chair stick) for when it inevitable gets screwed up and you need to unstuck it.

Just started on the algorithm, so no code yet. Anyone think that might be viable?
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 01 Dec 2022, 14:59

Doubtful. but it will be dangerous! Should be fun to watch.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 03 Dec 2022, 01:29

Burgerman wrote:Doubtful. but it will be dangerous! Should be fun to watch.

That was my opinion as well. What better reason to start a project?
slomobile

Postby ex-Gooserider » 06 Dec 2022, 02:24

This is sort of a necro-post (bringing things back from the dead...) as I had made the original post back in 2018.... The transaxle I had is LONG gone, as I found someone else that could use it (I forget just who / for what) and I never dug into it.

That said the idea of the remote robo-cart is interesting, at least in theory. I have heard of others experimenting with something in the way of a similar concept, but not of anything actually available on the market.

One issue I heard about and was amused by in one of the other efforts, was that they didn't think about making a REMOTE "off control" on the cart to stop the following algorithm, which meant that the user couldn't put stuff in the cart, or even turn it off, as it would ALWAYS try to maintain that three foot distance.... (Sort of like Scotland where "The men are men, and the sheep back away from them" czy :lol: )

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 16 Dec 2022, 02:32

Wow, good point. That had to be fun to watch the first time. Hoping you made it badly enough so you can catch up and turn it off.
Remotes aren't always reliable so I think it would need a watchdog. Push a button at least once every couple minutes to keep it alive. Fail to kick the dog and it stops.

Do you have any references to the work you've heard about? Or search terms. I haven't found prior work yet.
slomobile

Postby ex-Gooserider » 20 Dec 2022, 01:58

slomobile wrote:Wow, good point. That had to be fun to watch the first time. Hoping you made it badly enough so you can catch up and turn it off.
Remotes aren't always reliable so I think it would need a watchdog. Push a button at least once every couple minutes to keep it alive. Fail to kick the dog and it stops.

Do you have any references to the work you've heard about? Or search terms. I haven't found prior work yet.

Sorry, no links... It was one of those things that seemed like amusing / cool, but not of great interest to me as a project, so I didn't save it...

In terms of a watchdog, I'd presumably want something that did a 'failsafe' if it lost contact to the remote, but not something that needed regular attention from the user, as that would get annoying.... Presumably it would be enough to have a regular 'ping' between the two, which I believe is relatively standard for at least some RC gear as I recollect from the discussion about doing the RC chair setups.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 20 Dec 2022, 04:44

Decent RC systems have many failsafe options. My system for e.g has a 2.4ghz 100mW frequency hoping system with around 1 mile air range. Or a few walls and around 50 meters ground level. If the signal which is encoded fails. it seamlessly switches to another higher power RF system, 1 watt 900mhz. This channel hops too, and has 50 to 100km or 30 to 60 miles air range. Or around 3 or 4 miles in my RC cars/powerchairs at ground level. And many whole streets full of brick walls or cars doesent bother it. IF this long range system loses RF signal, or encounters noise on all of its encrypted channels it reverts to whatever preset outputs you chose. As a failsafe. So in a chair or buggy, obviously choose stopped! It does this pretty instantly if you switch off the tx for e.g. But with dual frequencies, multi channel hopping on both 2.4 and 900 its practically impossible to get that to happen. I have flown my quadcopter miles away over my town full of RF transmitters, phone towers, wifi, 5G antennas, radar, and never had even a tiny control glitch.

In addition it gives me real time return data, telemetry. So I can see on the transmitter screen (and have it verbally read out to me with a digital voice) distance, altitude, speed, 2.4ghz signal quality (packet loss etc) and signal strength and the same for the 900mhz radio link. And much more. As I fly.

I am using a system similar to this: https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/tandem-x20s/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Dec 2022, 04:01

Nice looking unit but seems like major overkill for something like driving a chair, and having no need for airborne action... Do they have anything with a similar set of features for range / failsafe, etc. that might be about the size of a joystick pod w/ one stick, and possibly some of the setup stuff for it, or a few switches? Seems like that's all we'd need for driving a chair or shopping cart bot....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 27 Dec 2022, 04:11

No. But you only need use one stick. Its ultra configurable. Remember that you can use 10 channels by adding a gyro, with configurable gain control, switchable heading hold or rate, and lights,indicators, hazard, and 8 seating channels on a powerchair just as it is now...

But all that frequency channel hopping on both the 900mhz and 2.4ghz channels means ultra reliable secure control link indoors and out among routers, phones, cars, etc. You want safe control? This gives you this.

Now... I use both sticks. And switches. Because its not a plane! I fly using 4 axis. ROLL is on one stick. YAW is on the other stick. FORWARDS / BACKWARDS needs a stick with the centre position sprung. The throttle stick is not, and it stays where its put. A light "ratchet" feel. So when flying many planes my primary steering channel is on the right stick. My non centering throttle stick is also on that stick. So I use the left stick for cars/buggies/boats/wheelchairs FORWARDS and BACK. And steer with the other stick. I also added mixing so that both left and right sticks CAN steer. Why? Because I cant use both thumbs on the transmitter as I normally would do for normal control. If I am also driving the chair that I am neccasarily sat in too! So when driving a remote controlled chair ahead of me I use the left stick and my left hand for that. And my right hand for the chair I am in.

Simultaniously. That might sound impossible but I fly helis which REQUIRE you use 4 channels continuously and yes its hard to learn. Like learning to ride a bike you just get it and dont know how you do it.

But when I want better control I use both hands, split across both sticks.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 27 Dec 2022, 19:34

The watchdog wasn't so much in case of transmitter failure, but more like a stuck stick or something. Imagine dropping an RC Tx sticks down and you cannot reach to pick it up. The cart just runs away. You are right, constant user intervention on the watchdog would be annoying and not the right thing.

Perhaps an 'enable pendant'. Something you can stick under your seat that keeps 2 contacts together and kicking the watchdog as long as you are sitting on it. Pull it out to disable the bot. Like anything else, RC Tx can be disassembled and put into a different case. Keep one stick and replace the other with 2 individual potentiometers for things like max speed or follow distance.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2022, 02:24

Thers already 3 extra rotary pots of which one is detented, 4 extra trim type sliders that can be used as channels, 4x 3 position switches, and a momentary switch as well as a 2 way switch. You have no need to remove a stick. And all or any sticks or switches can be mapped, mixed, disabled, used to enable or disable telemetry, mixing, enable rates, expo, and much much more. If you can think of it it alrady does it. The software is extremely configurable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 28 Dec 2022, 05:54

The Futaba 4 channel radio I have on hand doesn't have all that. Removing the 2nd stick was a way to shrink the package for chair mount.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2022, 10:23

It also doesent have what I would call a reliable radio link. They dont like busy places full of car alarmsm wifi, phones, bluetooth etc. I have one. Also a DSMX set. 2.4 and low power isnt good enough through walls or behind cars. Get the wrong side of a car or into a busy area and it stops communicating. And 1 second later after its hit something, like a parked car of drive off the curb, the failsafe causes it to stop moving. Thats why I started using a 900mhz/2.4ghz and freqency agile higher power system.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 28 Dec 2022, 21:19

I've put a lot of Futaba T4YF -2.4G and R2004GF 2.4 FHSS kits in the hands of students and we've taken them apart every which way, characterized power and range, and learned its quirks. So its easy for me to build a proof of concept with. If it isn't good enough, I'll probably try some 70cm ham gear or more modern RC. I just don't like the 2 handed single box form factor of most RC transmitters. I like the sticks and trims, just not the wide box. HOTAS might be fun to try. Or wired gamepads and ardupilot antenna tracker. I have to hand it to the new crop of RC gear, they are making very good stuff at very good prices.

Edit: I had a typo that said "very god prices" but the forum turned it into "very your imaginary friend prices". What is that about?
Edit2: G. O. D. not allowed to type that word apparently.

I have just a few NOS roller pots. They are like mixer sliders except that instead of a slider, it has a thumbwheel that rolls up and down a track. It has complimentary resistance tracks so 2 pins increase resistance as it rolls up and 2 other pins decrease as it rolls up. I like putting them on the backside of handles so I can make adjustments without losing my grip. I'd like to find a new source for them.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2022, 21:35

G. O. D. not allowed to type that word apparently.

I thought it was funny.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2022, 22:10

The reason that some modern systems like my FrSky dual frequency systems exist now is 3 fold.

The usual 2.4ghz agile "hopping" band is popular is because its unlicenced. And you can have many transmitters/recievers in use at once. Now because its so high frequency, and because it hops its very immune to the type of interference that totaly stops the signal. So all that happens is that if theres a lot of 2.4ghz activity from other RC systems you just get increased latency. Generally that doesnt bother most normal flyers. But 3d heli, fast jets, pylon racing etc really really dont like latency! It can become expensive and dangerous very fast. In addition wifi, blutooth, and millions of other things started using this free unlicenced band. And real latency and signal loss issues began to be an issue. The airstrip I use is on a farm. The farmer uses high power wifi with high gain antennas to communicate around his farm. Inc cameras etc. There are areas that the typical 2.4ghz RC doesent actually work unless you are literally 20 feet from it. So many of us started adding "2W Boosters" instead of relying on the dismal 50 to 100mW that was legal. To give a better chance of the planes hearing our transmitters. This had another advantage. Now we could fly 4 miles away instead of half a mile. Via FTP. But still 2.4 doesent like trees walls, cars, etc. So still crap at ground level or low down.

Then came the 900mhz lora long range systems. These can do up to 100 miles in the air. But thats not the point. They offered a super strong link through trees, walls, cars, when say a mile or three away. Or at ground level. These systems used 1 or 2 watts output legally (ish). And very high gain recievers, and again were frequency hopping across many channels in the 900 band. Huge range! The disadvantage? The 900mhz systems are lower frequency. So are higher latency. Less data. But not enough to really notice unless you are 20 miles away... At least by me.

So then we got more advanced recievers and transmitters that used both 2.4ghz high bandwidth low latency for close range up to say 1/2 mile, at any time latency increases, or signal is lost the 900mhz system takes over seamlessly. I have flown over busy cities with thousands of 2.4 phones/wifi/toys/alarms/cameras/ and through trees and streets full of tall buildings miles away and never had even a moments signal loss with this setup. Even when many miles from me over the other side of a city. It just works.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 03 Jan 2023, 03:33

I'm not questioning that you could potentially find a use for all the sticks and knobs on the fancy BIG controller, or how well it works, but it seems like a big and bulky thing to have to haul around.... My only use case for doing RC on a chair would be to drive it around when I'm not in it, and if I'm not in it, I wouldn't have any need / use for all the seating functions, lights etc... All I'd need is one stick for driving just like my regular joystick pod, and maybe as witch for on/off....

What I'd see as ideal would be a small box that I could easily put on my leg or the other armrest, with just the one stick - presumably about the size of a joystick pod... (If you really DID want to have access to all the functions, hook the transmitter into a fancy pod???) I want a relatively small package that I could easily stick in a bag to take with me to a medical appointment (ever notice how bad nurses are at driving chairs? :roll: ) or stash in my van and not take a lot of space...

Extreme range is not terribly critical IMHO, as I don't see many cases where I'd be wanting to drive it farther away than I can see....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 03 Jan 2023, 17:27

Agree. Simpler RC chair control interface is better for managing in small spaces. I was thinking that even a joystick isn't as simple as it could be.
When the chair is facing you, it takes a bit of unnecessary mental effort to figure out what stick moves are required to move in the correct direction.
In tight spaces, it is almost always better to separate linear moves and turns.
Turn in place till you are facing the right direction, then go straight forward, or backward. Doing it this way avoids the ambiguous changes in chair response that happen when your turn programming for speed/accel are much different than linear speed/accel.

I have a couple 3 axis joysticks where the 3rd axis is twisting the joystick handle. I've built a couple robots where this twist axis is used to control turning in place, the Y axis is forward, reverse, and the X axis was disconnected during one test session. I found it much easier to remote control our robot through a tight competition course this way. It included moves like pulling up to a copper plate to make contact with our pogo pins for sampling a signal to determine which station we were at. The small y turns were much easier without the X axis causing unintended spin.

I'd like to try a spring centered potentiometer knob on top of a Y axis only joystick to see if it is even better without any sideways movement at all.
Pushing the experiment to its limit, maybe seperate mounted knob and Y stick so it is physically impossible to rotate and translate at the same time using a single hand.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2023, 19:14

You need to learn to fly fast planes, 3d helis. All stick movements are like learning to ride a bycicle. You dont think about it you naturally just do it. 4 axis at once, towards, away, upside down, makes no difference to me. And I fly split sticks, main steer control on right stick, main secondary control which would be elevator on a plane, forwards/backwards on a heli or ground vehicle on left stick.

I cant quite do this... But I am not too bad. Driving a chair doesent exactly challenge me! Even on my knee with one hand. While driving the chair I am sat in. I drove an empty chair to the college workshop many times this way. Trivialy simple.

Learn stick skills.

youtu.be/QSiwyoQldfo
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 04 Jan 2023, 12:31

You might as well say we need to learn to run.
I would think this should be well understood on a wheelchair forum. Some people can do things which others can't.
Flying skill is brag worthy, I get it. It is not trivially simple, even though it is for you now after thousands of hours of practice.
RC heli flying is expensive, unforgiving of brief mistakes, demanding good nervous system operation. Years of seizures take their toll, brain glitches cause crashes before muscle memory sets in.

Backing up a chair with RC for me is like backing up a trailer. I've done it successfully a few times, but not very often. Every attempt, I need to make the same mistakes to figure out anew which input causes the trailer to go which direction. And after doing it successfully for a while, I completely forget again and need to relearn in the middle a few times. Getting it quicker each time, but still never sticks.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jan 2023, 19:56

You dont need to crash fast planes or helis at great cost. I basically learned all the stuff the hard £££ way. Now its just something I do subconciously without needing to think about it. But that was 40 years back. Young kids learn these skills without the need to spend hours building, crashing etc for year on year. They just use a decent hobby flight sim.

Kids like this.
He is now doing this automatically as theres no way you CAN think about this and "remember" the responses. You dont think, you just naturally "do".
This kid learned the cheap modern way on a PC... With a cheap RC TX.

Yes I know that not everyone has the hand control for this but they can ALL instinctively learn which way to push the sticks when something is coming towards you without a thought. You dont need this skill level. You DO need to be able to instinctively KNOW without thinking about it which way to push the stick when its facing you... The secret is that I dont look at the wheelchair (or helicopter) from my own position. In my mind I am sat in it. Once you learn that it doesent matter if its upside down, going backward/forwards towrds you or away. You steer a chair, by RC naturally and instinctively just as well as you do when sat in your own chair. The only difference is that it LOOKS different to you from your perspective. Put yourself in it mentaly and is easy.

7 year old. Learned on a flight sim... If he had to think about this he couldnt do it. He is doing throttle, collective pitch, roll, forward backwards cyclic, tail rotor, all simultaniously. Your brain can do this. Your rational thinking just cant! You can learn it subconsiously though.

youtu.be/JHJs1gBLiuQ
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jan 2023, 20:27

After flying RC stuff, driving a chair with no danger of a wrong direction correcton is super easy.

Fast chair. Turn sound up! https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-co ... g-test.mp4

Demo of woodys RC interface. Safe indoor accurate control. https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/rc.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 04 Jan 2023, 21:24

Burgerman wrote:You DO need to be able to instinctively KNOW without thinking about it which way to push the stick when its facing you... The secret is that I dont look at the wheelchair (or helicopter) from my own position. In my mind I am sat in it. Once you learn that it doesent matter if its upside down, going backward/forwards towrds you or away. You steer a chair, by RC naturally and instinctively just as well as you do when sat in your own chair. The only difference is that it LOOKS different to you from your perspective. Put yourself in it mentaly and is easy.

It isn't all about hand control. I have that, except for isolated spasms. Its processing speed for me.
I do not need to instinctively know how, because I don't, and get on well enough. Just not as good as you.
I do exactly as you describe, picture myself seated in the chair. That is how I am able to do it as well as I can. The problem is mentally translating the image I see into a new mental image from seated in chair POV. It just takes me too long to do the mental graphics processing. Remembering that "chair facing me, move stick opposite of instinct" is a shortcut. It doesn't work if the chair is sideways, so I need to fall back to mental imagery in that case.

If I'm alone it doesn't matter much, I can take my time. But if I'm taking too long blocking a public hallway, keeping my family out of a room, or the dogs away from their door, then I hear about it, which only makes it more difficult to process the hand movements I need to make.

Rather than listen when someone with different abilities tells me what I need to do, I ignore it and make my own adaptations. Figured you would approve.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jan 2023, 21:41

Whatever wrks for you.

But...
The problem is mentally translating the image I see into a new mental image from seated in chair POV. It just takes me too long to do the mental graphics processing.

When I first learned to fly planes. Or hover a helicopter the exact same thing applied. But the correct reacton to a chair coming towards you becomes a natural instinct. WITH PRACTICE on sy a flight sim. Or car driving sim. The whole point is that it no longer requires any thought. If it did then I would crash my heli every flight in seconds! I was "WOBBLY" and crashing when I first learned to hover a heli. Because you cannot mentally do 4 things at once even when you are behind it and everything working in the correct sense. Its impossible. But your SUBCONSIOUS takes over. In the same way that a newborn cant stand or walk. When 2 or 3 they no longer even think about it.

Remembering that "chair facing me, move stick opposite of instinct" is a shortcut. It doesn't work if the chair is sideways, so I need to fall back to mental imagery in that case.

You shouldnt be using tricks, or mental imagery once you LEARN at all. You do that while you learn. Because you have not yet "clicked" and a bit of practice on a flight sim makes this happen. You no longer need a shortcut. Or a trick. And it never crosses your mind. You subconciously just do it correctly - naturally. Side on, front on. Or upside down. When flying a heli, I get in a mess and crash IF I try to think what I am doing! Happened a lot. Because I cant think in 3D and 5 control functons, when its upside down or facing me. And simply to hover you need 4 controls simultaniously as they are not stable. But fortunately its like riding a bike. Once you take off the stabilisers its something you suddenly just get. You cant unlearn it. A 60 year old than never rode a bike since being a child can still do so. The mental subconsous ability is always retained. I have not flown a heli for years. Because of sores etc keepin me on my bed. But I could take off, hover, nose in, and land it at my feet safely. If someone asks how I do a particular thing, say hovering facing me, I honestly dont know. If I think about what I am doing I crash it. So practice till its natural and it just clicks. On a car or flight sim.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jan 2023, 23:03

When you configure a powerchair with RC its easy to learn. Set out a course with traffic cones, hose pipe or whatever and practice until you suddenly find that you just get it. And no longer think anything other than looking at the scene in front. Driving at any angle will feel just the same. You can do the same with a RC car.

Do this for a week, and never think about left or right, or coming or going ever again. These guys are not trying to work out which way to steer. They did at first! Then it just clicks.
Dont watch all of it. 5 hours long!

youtu.be/YE4FFWIkxwo
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 05 Jan 2023, 21:39

I understand that works for you. I'm glad to see your process in black and white because I'm sure it will help someone.
Just not me. I've been driving RC vehicles and robots about 35 years now. I enjoy it. I've taught lots of kids how to do it. I've just never advanced beyond an advanced beginner-intermediate proficiency myself. I'll enter brief "flow states" where it becomes intuitive as you describe after I have been doing it for at least half an hour, but those states only last a few minutes tops. I absolutely do forget how, and each new session begins with the same unfamiliarity and relearning for half hour again. Its weird.

I can practically drive a car in my sleep. I used to be a cab driver. I drive to relax, and never notice the controls at all. But RC skills have never progressed beyond my level when I was a teen. Maybe that is it. I learned to drive a real car at 13 and motorcycle at 12 before I ever had an RC vehicle. My head injury happened in my early 20s.
Maybe I damaged some machinery responsible for long term storing new muscle memory but retained my old skills? That would explain a few other things I've never been able to do well which I started late in life. I still can't touch type. I can type pretty fast with 2 fingers but I have to see the key legends. Basically the same skill level as the time of my accident. This keyboard is starting to wear and I have a heck of a time typing in the mornings. But by bed time I don't have much problem typing in the dark as long as I've been typing all day. Occasionally I have to tilt the screen down to light up the keys. If I type my first thing at night, it feels like I'm wearing the hinge out.

Feeling kind of dumb now, realizing how cheap backlit keyboards are.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jan 2023, 23:01

Backlit keybords are ESSENTIAL!
Would never buy a laptop or PC keyboard if they dont do 2 things.
1. backlit.
2. A caps lock ON led on the actual key.

I cannot type on one that desent have that as end up throwing it at a wall from frustration. Yes I two finger type too. After using PCs from the days of pre dos 6.22 and the olde 286 with a massive 20MB hard disk. With 2MB of ram. And DOS 5.something. Still cant type. My mum could type 100 wpm on her old mechanical typewriter.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jan 2023, 23:15

Maybe its your injury. At my local flying site theres young kids that can fly helis, planes etc because nobody ever told them it was hard to fly inverted or towards you or both at once. So they just did it. Same as the flight sim.

Then we have the old fuddy duddies been flying planes for 40 years. Can just about do right hand circuits with a underpowered string bag biplane. They dare not go left as they were told it was harder. When they were learning 40 years ago. Or was that right? Some nonsense about motor torque. And STILL they wont try it They think that its marvelous if they can take off, do a circuit or two then land someplace near the runway without a bin bag for the remains...

Different people are different. Some push it, and learn. Then can tie a plane in knots, any way up, and do high speed jets inverted passes about 6 inches high all day long. They LEARN on every flight because they push the limits. They are then really confident. They seldom go home with a bag of bits. But be it brain injury or just scared to try stuff, or whatever people are different. I have successfully dragged a few old fuddy duddies out of their fixed careful restricted ways. Made them fly some of my overpowered screaming several hundred mph planes, and forced them to try! Once they see its easy they relax. Power, esp way too much helps. Stall? Whats that? Inverted? Flys just the same either way up. But its not for everyone. Inverted landing aproaches with a whistling airframe from 1000ft up with no motor running scares the old numpties a bit. I have been thrown out of several flying clubs. The safety nazis dont get it. Its about fun, not committees and rules.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair