identifying bearings without serial number

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

identifying bearings without serial number

Postby funkykeyboard » 15 Oct 2018, 15:28

usually when you look at bearing it as a serial number on it from which you can identify to purchase a new one. These bearings (which could be roller bearings because they are so wide, rather than ballbearings) only have Japanese writing on them. They are far the casters on my wheelchair http://countries.permobil.com/Lifestand ... tand/LSCO/

A picture of the bearings https://photos.app.goo.gl/SzVEJnuobyjmi1SeA

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Re: identifying bearings without serial number

Postby mickeymonk » 15 Oct 2018, 15:41

Either pop in to Bayliss Trading in Banks.
Dalweb Trading Estate, Gravel Lane, Banks, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 8DE
Hand them the bearing or measure with something reasonably accurate such as vernier calipers (Outside diameter, inside diameter, width)
and they'll be able to match it.
Mick
mickeymonk

Postby Williamclark77 » 15 Oct 2018, 15:54

That looks like the bearing number on the side of it. The only numbers not clear in your picture. It appears to be 3002, which is a 15x32x13mm bearing. Just search ebay for that number (the correct number. I could be misreading it.
WcMade.com - Get nearly anything you need made
Williamclark77

Postby funkykeyboard » 15 Oct 2018, 16:19

thank you folks. :-)
funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 15 Oct 2018, 22:52

I never remember which bearing code refers to which size. Because its like memorizing phone numbers. But you dont need to.

All I ever do is measure the bearings. They are almost always metric at least in most of the world. And so you dont really even need be very accurate. A normal ruler that schoolchildren have gives you a close enough measurement. They are always full mm dimensions. So you can almost guess the smaller ones by eye. But in case you cant, just buy a cheap one of these. At least you will look technical! https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0876/ ... 1466425862 A ebay cheapy one for about 10 pounds is more than good!

Then just search for say 22 x 10 x 7 or whatever you measure. Add bearing. And add Stainless preferably. And add RS (rubber sealed). Since these are greased for life, dont corrode, are cheap etc.

So search ebay for say "32 x 16 x 12 Stainless Bearing RS" and you will see lists of them cheap!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Oct 2018, 00:28

I agree with BM about using a vernier caliper to measure your bearings - I suggest getting an electronic / digital version as those do easy switching between inch and metric sizes (some even display fractions as opposed to decimals)...

Even when I can read a number off the bearing, I will often measure it in order to compare it with the specs I get when looking up the number just to verify that I actually got the number right - the numbers are small, and I've often seen crud or corrosion make it easy to mistake (for instance) a 6 for an 8 or similar misreads...

However I'd also add that at least in the US, there are a LOT of fractional inch size bearings...

What I will often do when looking at a "mystery part" is keep switching between inch and metric as I measure it... Since MOST (definitely not all) commodity parts are made to either whole mm OR fractional inch dimensions, I look for which values are closest to a logical value.... Threaded fasteners (screws / bolts / etc) will read a little under their 'nominal' size as they have to clear a hole that size, but they will be close...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby alfiepink » 06 Nov 2018, 10:48

As above vernier caliper .this is what i use or if i have the bearing in my hand i take it to bearing place up the road from me
alfiepink

Return to Everything Powerchair