Travelling

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Travelling

Postby fleetmac » 19 Oct 2018, 23:39

I was planning to go to America and take along my I-Go folding powerchair. The chair charger is 240 volts (I'm in Australia) with no facility to accept 110 volts (USA), do I need a step down transformer 240 to 110 volts and if so the lightest one online I could find was 3kg weight. I haven't travelled out of Australia with this chair but people travelling from England to America would have this voltage issues. Thanks in advance for any solutions.
fleetmac

Re: Travelling

Postby Burgerman » 20 Oct 2018, 00:09

I would be surprised if it didn't work on 100 to 120V AC as well as 240. Since its built for a world market in china and sold all over the planet. Take a careful look at the chargers label.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 20 Oct 2018, 15:52

I tried looking it up but it's confusing what kind of charger an I-Go uses. On board or off board. If off board, can you order a US matching charger to take with you. In the US 110/120 plugs are very different from our 220 only used for heaviest appliances & shop tools... also different from European outlets.
Inspect your charger closely. Does the cord just plug in? Might it be a simple cord switch?
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby foghornleghorn » 20 Oct 2018, 17:39

https://www.pride-mobility.co.uk/pub/me ... ail__1.pdf

Owners manual says off board charger. Part number HP0060WL2

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24- ... bikes.html

Monster Scooter Parts says
Specifications
High Power Model Number: HP0060W(L2)
DC Output: 24 Volt 2.0 Amp
Input Voltage: AC 100~240V 50Hz

Check the stickers on the charger, it sounds like you may just need a converter plug or a usa mains lead.
Attachments
24v-2a-xlr-li-ion-battery-charger-high-power_4_1.jpg
foghornleghorn

Postby fleetmac » 21 Oct 2018, 08:51

Thanks alot, you are right it's an off board charger that will accept 100-240 volts so therefore I would only need an adapter plug.
Very helpful and a much cheaper option. The information is all on the charger, not the brochure!!
fleetmac

Postby fleetmac » 06 Mar 2019, 07:33

I've returned back from the Panama and USA (LA & San Francisco - wharf district). I took my Pride I-Go chair which I was in for 17 days. My observations- San Francisco great for wheelchair users, footpaths and public transport are excellent. The I-Go chair didn't fall apart, it's light 19 kg without batteries so was easy for my brother to manage. The chair is not very comfortable or supportive. Lacks power, maximum speed about 5-6 kph & struggles with inclines. The wheels (solid) are too small. Wondering if anyone could recommend a better portable holiday powerchair?
fleetmac

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2019, 09:42

And thats the problem!

Outdoors needs all the things that a portable or folding chair avoids because of the fact that its portable. It must be light.

So... Suspension, bigger wheels, proper sized pneumatic tyres, bigger chair able to support real batteries, more supportive seating, which are all heavier and bigger but needed for more comfort/stability speed and more power for hills and for range. And bigger frame and physical size to carry all the heavier stuff... Means its no longer portable.

So. Thats the compromise. :problem:

So you have to accept a few issues. But look for bigger lithium battery alloy frames, and so on. But with all the above stuff too. There may be better chairs - slightly. But the real question is what compromises are you prepared to make. But I never saw any portable chair that I would consider stable and adequate for outdoor use. My chair here does not fold, and has everything you want for outdoors in comfort and will do the hills. And fancy seating. Its also 185kg. And still 120kg with no fancy seating. :shock:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fleetmac » 06 Mar 2019, 11:31

Thank you, have you taken your chair on plane flight/overseas? What chair would you take on an overseas holiday where the footpaths aren't perfect? (eg Scotland)
fleetmac

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2019, 15:33

I would drive my van. And use ferries. And take my BM2/3 chairs. Dont think flying with a chair is safe or reliable enough. Too man horror stories and being paralised cannot function at all without.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fleetmac » 06 Mar 2019, 21:47

Yes Burgerman, a friend flew to the Panama with her Invacare powerchair. When it came off the plane it didn't work. She had an electrician look at the hotel she was staying at with no resolution. When she came back to Australia the problem was identified by the Invacare technician as simply a loose cable to the batteries box under the chair. (If you have the know how and physical ability you could trouble shoot the problem!)
fleetmac

Return to Everything Powerchair