Help with tyres

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Help with tyres

Postby faico_26 » 21 Oct 2018, 02:59

Hello!
Greetings from Spain. I’m Fran and I’m modifying an Invacare Mirage to make it look cooler.
Usually I use the common known grey solid rear tyres 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 (62-203) but I just received a pair of black solid tyres which are 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 (57-203). I tried to find the differences between these 2 sizes (57 or 62) but I didn’t get a clear answer. In theory 57 should mean 57mm outer tyre diameter and 62 would refer to 62mm, is it? But both tyres are 2 1/4 which also refer to tyre width.
I found in many bikes websites that 57-203 is 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 R. Does anyone what R means?
Finally I have another question: how can I know the right tyre size to fit the inner rim width? My wheelchair shop told me that knowing the tyre size is not enough because a too narrow tyre would get loose in a too wide inner rim width. For example, she told I can’t use the invacare Bora tyres (12 1/2 x 2 1/4) because my Mirage’s rims have too wide inner rim diameter.
Thanks!!
Fran
faico_26

Re: Help with tyres

Postby Burgerman » 21 Oct 2018, 10:47

Where to start.

Rims. Are in inches. Typically stated as for e.. 8 x 3 or in the motorcycle or car world 8 x 3J and thats the same thing. The 3 part is the rim width where the tyre sits. Half an inch either way does not stop you fitting a TUBE or TUBELESS type air filled tyre. But is a big issue if you are sing those horrid foam filled or polyurethane filed tyres.

Your 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 is the tyre size. What is lacking is the rim measurement. So it should read 12.5 (12 1/2) x 2.25 (2 1/4) x 4 or 6 or 8 which is the rim diameter. Tyres are what is called NOMINAL sizes. That means that if you buy 6 similar sized tyres from different manufacturers they will all vary in external size slightly. But will all fit the rim exactly. That means when you measure them they will not be what you expect. Your MM measurements like (57-203) show that. And its a small difference that make no difference to your usage. In this case the 57 is width. 203 is diameter. 5MM either way will be unnoticeable. R means radial ply.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby faico_26 » 21 Oct 2018, 22:44

D23DF319-2D57-4AB4-A3AC-0EF144BF0AC3.png
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I find this issue a bit confusing for my limited knowledge if tyres and rims. Just to understand it, if I want to order a pair of rear tyres for my wheelchair, what I should look to be sure they fit my rims? I know that I should look for 12.5 (12 1/2) x 2.25 (2 1/4) but the rim diameter never appears on eBay or other shops. I’m using solid tyres (at least they are black).
I would like to use tubeless tyres which look so cool and sportive, like Kenda, Dunlop or similar. I refer to black tyres with white letters and nice thread like these: https://www.bicycletechbar.com/products ... duty-black
But I can’t know if these tyres would fit my rims, can I?
faico_26

Postby Burgerman » 21 Oct 2018, 23:31

You are talking about solid or polyurethane filled tyres? If so its very hard to know.

They are often made to fit several different rim widths. Even where every tyre marking/size is the same. For eg, Some 8 inch diameter rims, are 1.5, 1.75, 2, 2.25, 2.5 and all found on powerchairs. And the tyre is filled to match the rim. So you would need to ask what size (width) rim the tyre is designed to fit. Then measure your own. If they are tube type, or tubeless, they will fit all rim sizes. You will not find tubeless on a powerchair though, unless you fit different rims as I do.

THIS tyre https://www.bicycletechbar.com/products ... duty-black

fits an 8 inch rim. But we cannot know the width without asking. The tyre size does not tell us. It tells us that it is:

12.5 INCH overall diameter. And that its 2.25 wide/deep. (2 1/4) Thats TOP and BOTTOM.
So that means it is 12.5 inches diameter, LESS 2.25 top, and 2.25 bottom (so 4.5 inches of tyre) leaving an 8 inch rim...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby faico_26 » 21 Oct 2018, 23:46

Exactly, that is the point: I’m using solid polyurethane tyres, “wheelchair” tyres (which I know you hate them)
Therefore my wheelchair shop was right. They told the same as you did. It’s about the bed width. Ok now I got it.
From your experience, in my case, do you think I could find rims to be able to use tubeless tyres. The diameter should be 12,5 and would not like to get the wheelchair go wider to the 57cms I have now, so the tyres should be 62mm or less wide. Do you think I could find a suitable combination of rim+tyre??
Many thanks from Barcelona!!
Fran
faico_26

Postby Burgerman » 22 Oct 2018, 00:00

Can you fabricate an adapter or a means to fit a different rim? Or this size is likely the closest tube tyre option. But it may need a wider rim ideally but will actually fit... https://www.lifelightmobility.co.uk/70- ... RAA532.htm Its 1.6 inches tall...

Exact replacement grey and black https://www.lifelightmobility.co.uk/2.5 ... RAA162.htm

Will be 12 diameter but needs wider rim... https://www.lifelightmobility.co.uk/80+ ... RAA552.htm

Correct diameter but needs a wider rim again... https://www.lifelightmobility.co.uk/90- ... RAA491.htm

If so theres many. But forget 12.5 and look at a little bigger or/and wider. Like:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6997#p126878 here... All are mine.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 23 Oct 2018, 01:36

Are you sure on the ISO number interpretations? I know that in bicycle tires (and manual chairs) the ISO size numbers refer to the RIM bead seat diameter and the tire cross section size... (<Rim Diameter> - <section diameter>)

I.e a 26 x FRACTIONAL inch (i.e 26 x 1 3/8) size (typical on most adult manual chairs) will be an ISO 540-??? while a 26 x DECIMAL inch (i.e. 26 x 1.375) size will be an ISO 508-??? as the rim diameters are different... On rims, the ISO number format is the same but gives the bead seat diameter

I haven't checked, but I think the same numbering applies to M/C tires as well, and given that it's an ISO standard, I would expect it to apply to all tires and rims (with possible extra numbers if there is a big difference in the section height and width?)

If the same thing applies to smaller power chair size tires, I'd expect that the two sizes in Falco's original question would be referring to different rim diameters, not outer tire diameters - so the two sizes would NOT interchange!

62mm ~ 2.44" or possibly a 2.5" nominal rim size? while 57mm ~2.24" or possibly a nominal 2.25" rim... That seems sort of small unless the Mirage is a FWD or MWD chair, in which case it's reasonable for caster wheels?

Hello!
Greetings from Spain. I’m Fran and I’m modifying an Invacare Mirage to make it look cooler.
Usually I use the common known grey solid rear tyres 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 (62-203) but I just received a pair of black solid tyres which are 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 (57-203). I tried to find the differences between these 2 sizes (57 or 62) but I didn’t get a clear answer. In theory 57 should mean 57mm outer tyre diameter and 62 would refer to 62mm, is it? But both tyres are 2 1/4 which also refer to tyre width.

ex-Gooserider

Burgerman wrote:Where to start.

Rims. Are in inches. Typically stated as for e.. 8 x 3 or in the motorcycle or car world 8 x 3J and thats the same thing. The 3 part is the rim width where the tyre sits. Half an inch either way does not stop you fitting a TUBE or TUBELESS type air filled tyre. But is a big issue if you are sing those horrid foam filled or polyurethane filed tyres.

Your 12 1/2 x 2 1/4 is the tyre size. What is lacking is the rim measurement. So it should read 12.5 (12 1/2) x 2.25 (2 1/4) x 4 or 6 or 8 which is the rim diameter. Tyres are what is called NOMINAL sizes. That means that if you buy 6 similar sized tyres from different manufacturers they will all vary in external size slightly. But will all fit the rim exactly. That means when you measure them they will not be what you expect. Your MM measurements like (57-203) show that. And its a small difference that make no difference to your usage. In this case the 57 is width. 203 is diameter. 5MM either way will be unnoticeable. R means radial ply.
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 23 Oct 2018, 01:40

No I thought they were his mm measurements. Or someones.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 30 Oct 2018, 06:40

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cussing :oops: :cussing :oops:

I should learn not to work from memory when pontificating.... :oops:

I just went back to the definitive source on all things pedal bike - Sheldon Brown's site... :ugeek: :worship - specifically

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I got the numbers backwards!!!! First set of numbers is the section, second is the bead diameter.... From Sheldon's chart -

12 1/2 x anything - 203 mm Juvenile, scooters

I don't know where Falco got his measurements from, but what he gave was an ISO style format, which at least on pedal bikes is much nicer to work with than the inch sizes...

As I noted, the inch sizes are easily confused as there are several different 'standards' that use similar numbers but won't interchange...

But on ISO, you just need to make sure the rim and tire both have the same SECOND value (i.e ??? - 540 on most manual chairs). The first number gives the width between the bead seats on a rim, or the inflated width (diameter) on the tire, so you need to make sure the ISO rim width is less than the ISO tire section size - Again per Sheldon:
A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width.

If you pull the beads apart and measure the total width from bead to bead, it should be approximately 2.5 x the ISO width.

So assuming they are ISO numbers, Falco's tires are both 12.5" bead diameter, and thus are probably interchangeable, depending on his rim width. Given that there is only a 5mm difference, less than 1/4" between the two, I doubt it would be a problem...

=============

However the plot somewhat thickens... I just checked the wheels I got from Shirley since they were easy to lay hands on...

The nominal 3.50-8 tires are Yuanxing brand - and have a number under the nominal size YX-P192-02.
The two different nominal 2.50-4 tires are either Cheng Shing with a number C-202-16 or a Kenda with number K-351-006 on them

None of the numbers make sense as ISO formats - they look more like a part number with a prefix that specifies the manufacturer.... So it looks like they don't do ISO number sizes in the tire sizes that we use more often on power chairs... :(

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby faico_26 » 31 Oct 2018, 12:13

Hi everyone!
Thanks again for the help. Basically I was looking for a pair of cool black tyres in the style of those slick tyres Burgerman put on the green wheelchair. But obviously keeping the size my wheelchair can fit. For what I’ve learnt I should look for 62-203 or 57-203. I just stopped looking for solid polyurethane tyres. I have 2 of these in black. Look normal, better that grey for sure, but not cool.
I could fabricate some adapter but I but like to keep the rim as it is. So I’m thinking on buying tube tyres. I know it is risky but it’s my only option to find a pair of black nice tyres. Since they would be tube tyres, bed width is not so critical as with solid tyres, isn’t it?
What do you think about this one? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2470125755
faico_26

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2018, 14:36

The reason they look good is because they are wide, and low profile to keep the same diameter.

So you WILL need wider rims.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby faico_26 » 31 Oct 2018, 20:46

Now I’m looking for 62-203. That is 62mm outer tyre width and 203 rim diameter. 12,5 inches should guarantee that it is the outer tyre diameter I need.
Please have a look at this slick tyres. They look great: https://quickact.de/5/Reifen/Rubena-Mit ... i-Reifen-für-den-Slalomkurs,-Größe-12,5Zoll

Many thanks
Faico
faico_26

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2018, 20:56

Those are fragile. They should fit.

Do you understand that 203mm is the rim diameter?
And 203mm is really just the metric equivalent of a standard 8 inch rim as fitted to scooters and most powerchairs?

So ANY tyre that ends in 8 will fit?

So 250 x 8. 2.75 x 8, 3.00x 8? etc. And that each one is say 3.00 x2 plus8 = diameter? And that diameter isnt critical. So up to an inch bigger will be OK.

So you can search for:
75 x 8 or 80 x 8 or 70 x 8 or 65 x 8 tyres as a metric size too?

E.G. this will fit. https://www.lifelightmobility.co.uk/70- ... rettyPhoto
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby faico_26 » 31 Oct 2018, 23:11

Thanks Burgerman, I’m learning a lot about tires and rims, but it’s rather complicated because there are several different size systems.
I found a web which explains about it: https://www.motorbiketireshop.com/biker ... -explained
When I say I want the tyre to be 12,5 inches diameter and not higher is because I don’t want the chair to get higher. The same with the width of the tyres: I don’t want them to be wider than the standard 62mm because that would increase the overall width of the chair (currently 57cms).
I keep on searching for tyres! I’ll keep you informed of my research results.
Kind regards,
Faico
faico_26

Return to Everything Powerchair