Have Lead Acids any Scrap Value?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Have Lead Acids any Scrap Value?

Postby Scooterman » 25 Oct 2018, 10:00

I remember when you could get a few quid (pounds sterling) for old car batteries, but I don't know if it's still the case? I've always left my old GEL/AGM next to the wheelie bin and the bin men take them.

But if i could a tenner (£10) a piece, I'd take them down the scrappy. Although I'm not sure if we've still got one round here, or if they've built houses on it?
Scooterman

Re: Have Lead Acids any Scrap Value?

Postby foghornleghorn » 25 Oct 2018, 10:20

Still the case, but make sure you take ID with you or it may be a wasted trip.
foghornleghorn

Postby Scooterman » 25 Oct 2018, 10:35

foghornleghorn wrote:Still the case, but make sure you take ID with you or it may be a wasted trip.

Thank you :thumbup:

I wish I’d thought about previously.

The last time I scrapped a car I had to PAY THEM to take it away. I waved goodbye to most of my cars on the back of a low loader.
Scooterman

Postby rover220 » 25 Oct 2018, 20:00

£500 a ton local here last week
rover220

Postby rlnguy » 25 Oct 2018, 21:16

Though not high value, here in the US, you can get a huge fine, for not properly disposing of, and recycling them.
rlnguy

Postby Scooterman » 23 Apr 2019, 08:21

You can just see on the RH side there's a white cupboard next to the front door that I keep me broom, mop and bucket, etc.

I had a pair of 60Ah sonnenshein gels in there but I hoofed them out and put them next to the drain pipe so I could give cupboard a tidy. I was planning on having them on the desk/bench in lounge to power the PL8. But some thieving *********** has pinched them! :cussing . I left them by the drain pipe cos they was too heavy for me to lift inside. I wonder if someone took them for scrap or their car? I doubt if they know the difference between deep cycle gels and AGM's. Does it matter for a car? The batteries were pretty knackered. Or maybe took them for scrap?

I'm not very happy in either case. I can't imagine the dustman took them as I leave me wheelie bins on the front path. I was down for 'assisted collection' but dustman used to forget to come up path to get bins, so leave them on front path now.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 23 Apr 2019, 08:45

Does it matter for a car?

They MIGHT start a car in summer when new. But gel batteries dont have high cranking amps. The 74Ah MK gel, can do a max peak output of about 380 to 405A depending on temperature. Best in summer... Thats not cranking amps over time, thats just peak. Which is why you cant find a cranking amp figure for them. Do it for long and blow bubbles in gel. That will work to start a typical car when new in summer just.

The PC1500 Odyssey can do about 5000 Amps max peak without damage, and 1500 Amps for 5 seconds which is a long time if you count from zero. Much longer than needed to start a motor. Thats why they are used in auto sport, so a smaller lighter battery can be fitted and still start a big high compression motor. Or a truck in a siberian winter.

So they are likely to be dissapointed. You would need 2 or 3 MKs/Sonnenschein gel batteries to replace a high cranking amp starter battery.
The odyssey can do BOTH deep cycle duty, AND yet out perform a high quality starter only (SLI) battery. Along with YELLOW Optima. Both with very high cranking amps. The optima is less good for our purposes though.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 23 Apr 2019, 13:45

I got a surprising amount for the spent AGM Group 27 batteries that came in my Pride Wrangler when I sold them at the scrap metals yard. It went on weight & they were heavy as a brick outhouse. I believe the price offered varies with the scrap price of lead.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Return to Everything Powerchair