I need a little bit of help figuring out tubeless on an M3.

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

I need a little bit of help figuring out tubeless on an M3.

Postby Spoon » 14 Nov 2018, 19:42

I have read and reread a bunch of info on the main site but it's a lot to sift through. I am basically trying to figure out what I need to do to go tubeless on my permobil m3. So far I think I need a set of scooter wheels in order to have access to more tire options. I am having trouble with the specifics.

could someone point me to a specific wheel and tires available in the US? The other thing I am curious about is how the wheels attach to the chair.
Spoon

Re: I need a little bit of help figuring out tubeless on an

Postby Burgerman » 14 Nov 2018, 20:58

All my chairs use tubeless, as they offer stronger better tougher construction tyres, and no fragile tubes either so as to fail and leave you up the creek without a paddle.

But there are few if any proper tubeless 3.00 x 8 stock tyres. So looking for a tubeless rim for a stock tyre in 8 inch diameter, wont help much even if you find one. And that means a 1.75 to 2.5 wide rim. Most are 2.25 or less.

So you are going to need to go wider. There are 3.50 x 8 tubeless tyres. There are 110/80, or 120/70 tyres for 8 inch rims, as I use on my salsa.
Heres an extreme example. These are not 8 inch rims, but 10. With stronger tubeless 130/60 - 10 scooter tyres. On aftermarket rims intended for a honda pitbike or a honda monkey-bike. Or Z 50. It only works here because my chair is narrowed, and its (now lithium) battery is turned longways allowing me to move the motors further inboard. This means it actually narrower still than your own chair.
download/file.php?id=4455&mode=view
How do you FIT those wheels? You need a drill... And an online laser part cutting service, and some taps...
Read here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5380&start=30

My salsa is closer to what you are trying to do. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455&start=600#p122818
It uses 120/70 - 8 tyres. And also cheap 8 inch x 3.5 wide alloy tubeless rims. The details of how that was done to an otherwise stock chair is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455&start=120#p114267 Best to read the whole thread.

Then theres this.
My very old BM1 chairs... They use a 3.50 x 8 tyre, on a cheap steel wheel, and also tubeless. This can be fitted to a stock chair too.
But its less good. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... r-1024.jpg
Details of how they were fitted is a bit complicated. But basically they were bolted with spacers to a machined down taperlock pulley, as I had a set! http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair3.htm

Then theres this. Another way... http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/power-w ... f-road.htm

Then theres this. Yet another way to fit a set of different wheels. Actually TWO ways here! Steel rims, and then a different way for the proper tubeless hegar rims. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3- ... uction.htm

So basically thats 5 ways to fit 5 different rim types to 4 different chairs. And theres a 6th. But that was on a brushless motor so I will ignore that one. The answer is it all depends.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Spoon » 17 Nov 2018, 22:02

thanks for the info. I am still wrapping my head around the different solutions
Spoon

Postby ex-Gooserider » 20 Nov 2018, 06:05

Basically the problem boils down to the fact that the different chair makers use different setups for mounting their crappy split wheels, so every chair is going to be a bit different as to what is needed to adapt it to fit one of the various options for a tubeless wheel and tire....

So the starting point is to figure out what you have - does your existing wheel bolt to a hub? If so, what is the hub diameter, and the bolt circle size? How far from the motor or other chair parts is the mating face of the hub? How much room do you have for a larger diameter tire? Etc...

If the wheel fastens directly to the motor shaft (the hub is part of the wheel) the problem is slightly different - what are the shaft dimensions, is it straight or tapered? Keyway? How does the wheel attach? Etc.... From that, you will need to figure out what hubs are available to fit (or make them) and how to answer the earlier questions.....

Knowing what you have will then (hopefully) help you figure out the best options for tire sizes, wheels, etc.

Once you've figured out the wheels, then comes the task of figuring out, and probably having to make or have made, whatever adapters are needed to fasten the wheels to the chair.....

It is not a trivial task...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair