Sun EBikes stupid LiFePO4 battery packs tricks

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Sun EBikes stupid LiFePO4 battery packs tricks

Postby dewaj » 06 Dec 2018, 03:35

Exploring the latest LiFePO4 batteries on Amazon, I found some battery packs by Sun-EBikes that looked interesting.

On closer inspection, I noticed they are using AC mains connectors for either connecting the battery to it's charger, or to a load.

Specifically, the connectors are IEC 60320 C13 and C14 connectors for use with AC mains power.

If ever there were any batteries begging to be plugged directly into the AC mains, these are the ones. Someone will oblige them, someday, and the effects will be dangerously, perhaps deadly spectacular.

Mentioned this to Amazon. Not expecting much to happen. They are a featured Amazon seller, after all.

smdh... Just smdh... (no such icon)
dewaj

Re: Sun EBikes stupid LiFePO4 battery packs tricks

Postby shirley_hkg » 06 Dec 2018, 04:16

Surprise that you knew it by now .

They are there for decades. :lol:
Attachments
IMG-20181206-WA0003.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby dewaj » 06 Dec 2018, 04:37

No, I never noticed them before.

Still, I think it's a really dangerous stupid trick.

I've seen people plug very expensive low-voltage equipment with these "unique and rare" connectors into AC mains.

Been like that for decades? Not convincing me it's at all safe.
dewaj

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2018, 12:48

Its not ideal. But many connectors are also used for different purposes than originally intended. Those are used in the US with low voltage AC too. So you could could bring a 120v device to the rest of the world and feed it 240V in error very easily too. It is up to the user to determine voltage matches with those connector types.

However, in the UK, there is a 1, 3, 5, or 7.5, or 10, or very highest 13A fuse fitted in the wall plug. So at the very worst, you would be connecting to a low impedance battery, and the fuse will just pop. So unlikely to be a big danger.

I might add.
For E.G that I am using grey Andersons for 12V DC, 24V DC, 45V DC on my chairs, van etc, 240VAC, and around 350V DC on my roof, (solar panels) and 18V on my bed, mower and drill, and variable voltage from 0 to 60 DC on various power supplies. So I am just careful about what I plug into what, and why! It makes things very adaptable. A mains AC drill for eg will run fine on DC 24V or 45V too, but slower. Or 120AC, or 24VAC, or 60V on my power supply on DC. And 4 chargers with variable voltage in, out also using andersons...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 06 Dec 2018, 21:43

I'm only using SB50s for "24" Volt DC. But I'm Magic Markering anyplace there might be doubt like the powerlead from PSU to charger. "24V". A brain fart is always possible.
Yesterday, my brother was helping me try to change a bandsaw blade for a little table top bank saw. Inside the cover, I'd written the bade length. I have several blades around, all wrong length... by 3/4". Drat! Correct blades ordered.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2018, 23:18

I want to be able to swap and change as it gives options. So use grey and black for everything regardless.
But there are many colours of Anderson. Along with a list of recommended voltages/colours.

They are not interchangeable. with the exception of grey/black. As in, you can't plug green into orange. So safer if you forget!

So if you want to restrict your options, use different colours for various voltages. And grey/black for everything if you want to choose!

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2018, 23:26

Yellow
12 V

Orange
18 V

Red
24 V

Grey
36 V

Blue
48 VDC

Green
72 V

Black
80 V

Brown
96 V

Violet
120 V

White
144 V

Pink
non specific.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 11 Dec 2018, 05:27

Or use the Power Pole "PP-75" series shells, which do allow the different colors to interchange, but let you color code the connections... Since the shells lock together with a dove-tail, you also have the option of a few different configurations to make them 'keyed'... They use the same pins as the SB-50 connectors...

For everything that is lower power than the main battery, I like the smaller PP-15/30/45 series (which current depends on the pins used, which is a function of the wire size...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair