Junkyard seats?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Junkyard seats?

Postby sacharlie » 10 Dec 2018, 23:34

No biggie, but looking for a slick looking seat back from a car to mount onto a seat pan.
sacharlie

Re: Junkyard seats?

Postby foghornleghorn » 11 Dec 2018, 16:58

Every American car I've seen has big squishy seats in that look more like an armchair than a car seat.
Are you looking for something like that, or something that gives a bit of support?

If it's support and lateral holding you in place you are looking for, you may find something suitable out of a sporty Japanese or European car.
Could try searching for
• JDM Car Seat (from a Honda / Nissan / etc)
• Recaro Seat (either aftermarket, or as fitted to many production cars from Europe)
• MOMO Seat
• Alfa Romeo Seat - usually a MOMO but can be cheaper if the seller hasn't a clue

Don't be ripped off by brand. A lot of seats are exactly the same but priced for which car they came out of. Expensive Recaros from an Audi, can be identical to cheaper Recaros from a Ford. Some of the JDM stuff is particularly bad for this.

Things I would want to consider
• Airbags - most very recent production car seats have an airbag stitched into them. Not sure I would want what is effectively a small explosive attached to a wheelchair
• Lumbar adjustment - not all seats have it. If your back needs it you will be uncomfortable without.
• Material - cloth is grippy, leather is slippery, leather can be ruined if you are out in heavy rain.
• Weight - if you are used to a thin fabric sling backrest you will suddenly be very top heavy and unstable.
foghornleghorn

Postby sacharlie » 11 Dec 2018, 18:11

Thanks you pointed out some issues I hadn't thought out.
Yes the small sport style seat back is what i'm looking for.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2018, 18:45

https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/images/u ... no-Lux.jpg

I bought a cobra sport seat because junkyard ones have issues with non symetrical or oddball seat adjustments, shapes, and mountings. And most dont dissemble how you will want for ease of using only the back. You will need something that can easily be used, look right and still have the seat ratchet adjustment in the back itself. And allow simple mountings. You will soon see what a minefield this is. Cobra seats are about as close to this as you will find.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 11 Dec 2018, 18:54

Yes that cobra has the look I want.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2018, 18:57

http://www.takataracing.com/image-libra ... 20Rear.jpg

And here is the rear of that one. Slim, will not hit everything. Its actually dark carbon fibre. The photo makes it look brown...

And it should like all cobras be easier to mount just the back. Ebay for a good condition cobra misano seat... New ones cost. Passenger seat ones are as new. Seat recline is on both sides. 4 bolts remove the rear complete with mechanism. So it can be mounted neatly.

Many colours, leather, fabric, mixed, etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2018, 19:07

Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair