Handicare Puma 40 help needed

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Handicare Puma 40 help needed

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2018, 16:41

Rebuilding my Puma 40 after tilt repair and have everything done except securing the battery box. It has always been difficult for me to lift the tray and push it away from me to release it so it hinges downwards. Seems totally counter intuitive. Now I'm really struggling to reverse the process and close it up again.

Those who are familiar with this model will know that the locking bar has to locate both sides through matching holes in the tray and the side plates. The closest I'm able to line up these holes is to within an inch front to back and an inch and a half up and down by using levers and bits of wood to lift the tray. As far as I can tell there is nothing above the batteries preventing the tray from going higher. Also, having to use levers under the tray to lift it means that it is being pushed away from me which is the wrong way to get it to relocate in the locking position. I can't think of any other way of raising the tray though. Two days spent struggling with it so far and not the slightest sign of success. I'm just getting weaker and weaker with the effort.

There has to be an easier way. Anyone know what it is, please?
greybeard

Re: Handicare Puma 40 help needed

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2018, 16:59

This is the relevant page from the service manual. Makes it look so simple!
Attachments
IMG_1780.PNG
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2018, 17:13

Refitting
Attachments
IMG_1782.PNG
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2018, 18:57

There has to be an easier way. Anyone know what it is, please?

Well going lithium halves the weight so much much easier. But I always use an AB and delegate for awkward jobs that I cant do easily.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 25 Dec 2018, 19:19

I got a pair of 80amp batteries in there and they are 212mm high but it was a complete
bast ard, from reading what you have written it sounds like you cant get the battery tray high enough over the raise lip on the outer battery compartment to lock the battery tray in.
The battery tray has to go higher than its final position final position,
what i done was grind about 5mm of the lip, it made it so much easier to lock the battery tray in. It wont go anywhere as you have the retaining bar and still some of this lip left.
If i have not explained it very well just left me know and i can try my paint skills (-:
ICEUK

Postby ICEUK » 25 Dec 2018, 19:26

Another thing i did do geoff was to drive the chair up onto make shift ramps and used a trolley jack to jack the tray up,
ICEUK

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2018, 19:31

2 suggestions. DRIVE the chair against a lump of wood against the wall. To use the chair to push them in.

And a ramp can be books... Pile ever taller books to make a ramp. I do it all the time. Before I bought a block and tackle. If you have one of those just lift the chair up at the correct end and they will easily go in with a good shake.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 25 Dec 2018, 20:40

comes down to technique on these, needs a short sharp pull
rover220

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2018, 23:40

ICEUK wrote:Another thing i did do geoff was to drive the chair up onto make shift ramps and used a trolley jack to jack the tray up,

That's what I'm going to try tomorrow. Thanks.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2018, 23:42

Burgerman wrote:2 suggestions. DRIVE the chair against a lump of wood against the wall. To use the chair to push them in.

And a ramp can be books... Pile ever taller books to make a ramp. I do it all the time. Before I bought a block and tackle. If you have one of those just lift the chair up at the correct end and they will easily go in with a good shake.

The batteries are in place, The problem is lifting the tray they sit on to lock it in place. It hinges down to rest on the floor when opened. But thanks.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2018, 23:44

rover220 wrote:comes down to technique on these, needs a short sharp pull

Thanks. Yes. Have managed it before with just a little difficulty, but this time it doesn't want to behave. I'll have to try jacking it up rather than levering.
greybeard

Return to Everything Powerchair