About the wheelchair motor reuse project

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: About the wheelchair motor reuse project

Postby woodygb » 01 Mar 2019, 21:51

JACK COVER.jpg
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 01 Mar 2019, 22:23

laoshanren wrote:
woodygb wrote:You should supply the details like this ...

I am using a software program X on my P.C. to try and communicate with Q6 logic controller ( part number ) using USB interface type Y ( plugged into the pods charging port ? ) with settings Z.

I guess that your using Curtis 1314 programming software ?

Thank wood,
I'm using 1314 - 4402 try to modify the Q6 power module, the communication is OK, just don't know which function should be disable now.

Also, do you know what sensors JACK SOCKETS these two round white are? how to disable them?

The round white bits are dust covers.

Parameters for the jack sockets are ...

On/Off Jack Supervision:
The on/off jack supervision parameter can be used when an on/off switch is connected
through the on/off jack. When programmed to YES, it monitors whether the switch is connected; if the switch becomes
disconnected, a warning is issued.

# The settings for this parameter are YES and NO.

Mode Jack Supervision:
The mode jack supervision parameter can be used when a mode switch is connected through
the mode jack. When programmed to YES, it monitors whether the switch is connected; if the switch becomes disconnected, a warning is issued.

# The settings for this parameter are YES and NO.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 12:44

It seems that your CTLDC pod contains a JC2000 or MAID joystick ...simply inject the required voltage swings via the ribbon cable and you can control your motors with the existing wheelchair controller.
You can either retain or throw away the existing joystick.

CTLDC QUANTUM Q LOGIC 3 JOYSTICK.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 13:04

arduino joy2.gif
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 15:45

Thank you very much Woody.

You are right, they are JACK SOCKETS, is it OK to insert a ON/OFF switch to control the pad? What I am doing now is soldering wires to the REED SWITCH and used a relay to control the pad on and off and speed level.

The pad I have used a JC2000 at PPP0 mode, that means P2 and P7 output identical, so do P4 & P5. I did hook up a potentiometer joystick to P5 & P7, the old interface does not recognize its signal. Guess the pad can distinguish Hall effect joystick's signal?

I'll try your diagram and if it can get rid of the pad is perfect what I want. I measured the 2 signal lines of the BUS [total 6: 2 power; 2 trig (become about 20VDC when tilt the joystick rod)? 2 signal], seems the pad used a very low frequency PWM?

Thank you again and have a good weekend.
laoshanren

Postby LROBBINS » 02 Mar 2019, 16:10

The BUS does not carry the analog joystick output. It carries serial digital messages. What Woody is suggesting is connecting a voltage source to the wires inside the pod that go from the joystick pot to the circuitry. Then your analog voltages will be converted by the circuitry (micro computer and associated chips) to the proper digital messages for the rest of the system.
LROBBINS

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 16:27

LROBBINS wrote:The BUS does not carry the analog joystick output. It carries serial digital messages. What Woody is suggesting is connecting a voltage source to the wires inside the pod that go from the joystick pot to the circuitry. Then your analog voltages will be converted by the circuitry (micro computer and associated chips) to the proper digital messages for the rest of the system.

Thank you LROBBINS,

I hooked a potentiometer joystick to the original joystick's P5 & P7, the pad recognize the original joystick's signal only, did not recognize the new potentiometer joystick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pin-JoyStick- ... :rk:3:pf:0

just give out the error #37 when wave the new one.
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 16:35

Use the Jack plug O for ON/OFF .... I use a 5v relay operated via an Arduino pin together with a transistor as the Arduino pins current is fairly low .

Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 16:41

You MUST supply your board with 5 signals.

2 off fore/aft , 2 off left/right AND Vs/2.

The fore/aft and left/right signals MUST all be outputting 2.5v ( Vs/2 ) ...which is neutral .. when everything is turned ON....or you will get an error
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 16:53

That should perhaps be better written ...

You MUST supply your board with 5 signals.

You need to have ... 2 MATCHING volt swings for fore/aft , 2 MATCHING volt swings for left/right AND Vs/2.

The fore/aft and left/right signals MUST all be outputting the Vs/2 voltage of 2.5v ...which is neutral .. when everything is turned ON....or you will get an error
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 18:13

Thank you Woody,

Because the potentiometer joystick I used has only one pin for F/A, and one pin for L/R, so I'll split each of them into 2 MATCHING volt supply to P2+7, and P4+5?

As the VS/2, if I keep the original joystick, can its P6 (Centre tap) work as VS/2?

About the signals of both joysticks, the original hall effect joystick has: 1.3V - 2.5V - 3.7; my new potentiometer joystick has : 0 - 2.5 - 5. should I add a dead band in my sketch and/or eliminate the two ends say 0-1.3v and 3.7v-5v?
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 18:24

As the VS/2, if I keep the original joystick, can its P6 (Centre tap) work as VS/2?
Yes..... but why not use a simple voltage divider ?

my new potentiometer joystick has : 0 - 2.5 - 5.

Your making things very complicated for yourself!

Just feed 1.3V to the GND pin and 3.7v to the 5v pin....

Grab yourself 3 of these and you can use them as voltage dividers for setting your joystick feed voltage end points and for setting Vs/2.

3296 Multiturn Variable Resistors - Potentiometer, Preset, Trimmer, Pot
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 18:31

Noticed an error on the Arduino joystick drawing ... amended.

arduino joy2.gif
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 18:44

woodygb wrote:
Yes..... but why not use a simple voltage divider ?

my new potentiometer joystick has : 0 - 2.5 - 5.

Your making things very complicated for yourself!

Just feed 1.3V to the GND pin and 3.7v to the 5v pin....

Grab yourself 3 of these and you can use them as voltage dividers for setting your joystick feed voltage end points and for setting Vs/2.

3296 Multiturn Variable Resistors - Potentiometer, Preset, Trimmer, Pot

Great. Thank you Woody,

I'll test them out.
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 19:08

Your joystick appears to be 10k ...adding a 4.7k resistor to feed both the ends marked GND and 5V ... and you should get the correct voltage outputs @ the GND and 5V pins.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 22:02

Thank you Woody,

I tested to input F/A, L/R, and VS/2, the pad did not recognize, error #37, joystick not connected.

Do you know the JC2000 output curve? got some thing like:
Attachments
post-16.JPG
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 02 Mar 2019, 22:16

The output is linear.

Did you ever measure the actual voltage values of the original pod / joystick?

Joystick NOT connected !!!

Have you used a common GND and is the joystick outputting the expected voltages ?

Draw me a pic of your setup.

feel free to email me.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 23:23

Thank you Woody,
I attached a picture, table on top is the measurement of two joysticks' voltage, bottom is the circuit, sorry bad design, just learn to use Proteus.

The Vs from PAD is not exactly 5V, my new joystick take whatever V and 0 from PAD, and I set the 1.3 - 2.5 - 3.7, and use them.
Attachments
POST18.JPG
laoshanren

Postby laoshanren » 02 Mar 2019, 23:44

LROBBINS wrote:The BUS does not carry the analog joystick output. It carries serial digital messages. What Woody is suggesting is connecting a voltage source to the wires inside the pod that go from the joystick pot to the circuitry. Then your analog voltages will be converted by the circuitry (micro computer and associated chips) to the proper digital messages for the rest of the system.

Thank LROBBINS,
Are you sure that the BUS doesn't carry PWM signal? If this is the case, may I send the signal serial digital messages received by RC Receiver directly to the BUS and let the module's interface to generate PWM?
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 03 Mar 2019, 00:01

joystick.jpg

Note that I always provide my own separate 5v supply rather than using the pods ... as the pods 5v supply has proved to be problematic.

The bus is a CANBUS
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Mar 2019, 00:24

Ignore my question about the values ...I can now see that they are the from the original joystick.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 03 Mar 2019, 03:04

woodygb wrote:
joystick.jpg

Note that I always provide my own separate 5v supply rather than using the pods ... as the pods 5v supply has proved to be problematic.

The bus is a CANBUS

Thank you Woody,

I'll build a power supply for it.
If I buy a Hall effect joystick, and use it as the Transmit side joystick, may work?
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 03 Mar 2019, 03:14

It doesn't need a hall effect joystick ...I've made many using a digital pot as shown in the drawing.

It's just requires a simple voltage swing BUT the voltages must be correct .... especially the initial neutral voltages.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 03 Mar 2019, 04:14

woodygb wrote:It doesn't need a hall effect joystick ...I've made many using a digital pot as shown in the drawing.

It's just requires a simple voltage swing BUT the voltages must be correct .... especially the initial neutral voltages.

Thank you Woody,

If look the number only, I setup my joystick's initial neutral voltages is 2.5V, which is a little deviation as the PAD's, say PAD Vs= 5.5V,
should I set the initial neutral as 2.75? can this be the point? I'll try soon.
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 03 Mar 2019, 15:31

Try this....
JOY 47.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 03 Mar 2019, 18:17

woodygb wrote:Try this....
JOY 47.jpg

Thank you Woody,

The PAD still not recognize the new joystick, just shown error #35,36,37.
The Voltages power on: 5.7 , 0 , 3.55, 1.75, neutral 2.6.

The X: 3.36 - 2.43 - 1.75
The Y: 3.54 - 2.61 - 1.76

Can be better if I use 4 Potentiometer to set the numbers same as you diagram?
laoshanren

Postby LROBBINS » 03 Mar 2019, 20:32

The serial digital of a wheelchair bus will probably NOT match whatever digital signal you can get from your RC. The most common wc serial is one or another variant of CANbus which has a quite specific packet structure, de-ambiguation protocol, and checks for intact messages. (The Dynamic Shark uses an RS-type serial (don't recall which, perhaps RS482), but it's an exception, and the messages still have to match what the power module knows how to interpret. Woody has had ample experience hooking external devices to the joystick connections that are inside the joystick pod - follow his lead and you will have success.
LROBBINS

Postby laoshanren » 03 Mar 2019, 22:42

LROBBINS wrote:The serial digital of a wheelchair bus will probably NOT match whatever digital signal you can get from your RC. The most common wc serial is one or another variant of CANbus which has a quite specific packet structure, de-ambiguation protocol, and checks for intact messages. (The Dynamic Shark uses an RS-type serial (don't recall which, perhaps RS482), but it's an exception, and the messages still have to match what the power module knows how to interpret. Woody has had ample experience hooking external devices to the joystick connections that are inside the joystick pod - follow his lead and you will have success.

Thank you LROBBINS,

I didn't use my RC yet, I just hooked up a potentiometer joystick to do the test, I assuming that if the PAD can recognize the potentiometer joystick, it can recognize its signal too.
laoshanren

Postby woodygb » 03 Mar 2019, 23:11

laoshanren wrote:
woodygb wrote:Try this....
JOY 47.jpg

Thank you Woody,

The PAD still not recognize the new joystick, just shown error #35,36,37.
The Voltages power on: 5.7 , 0 , 3.55, 1.75, neutral 2.6.

The X: 3.36 - 2.43 - 1.75
The Y: 3.54 - 2.61 - 1.76

Can be better if I use 4 Potentiometer to set the numbers same as you diagram?

You can of course use 4 potentiometers.

Questions ... Can you start up the pod without an error ?

I assume that the original joystick still works if plugged in ?

I could look them up but ...What do the error codes mean?

Concentrate on getting the pod to start without error by using just ONE potentiometer set to output 2.75v and split that to all the 5 inputs ...adjust till you get an error free start up.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby laoshanren » 04 Mar 2019, 00:41

You can of course use 4 potentiometers.

Questions ... Can you start up the pod without an error ?

I assume that the original joystick still works if plugged in ?

I could look them up but ...What do the error codes mean?

Concentrate on getting the pod to start without error by using just ONE potentiometer set to output 2.75v and split that to all the 5 inputs ...adjust till you get an error free start up.[/quote]

Thank you Woody,

I used 5 pcs potentiometer and set 5 voltages of 2.74 V and give to P2-4-5-6-7. I did get a error free start. The Vs measured 5.5 V.
laoshanren

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair