Timely reminder

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Timely reminder

Postby greybeard » 19 Mar 2019, 10:11

Just cooking my egg and sausage when BANG! The F/W drive Puma lurches down and left, coming to rest leaning against a kitchen cabinet.

Left hand side drive wheel had come off the motor spindle. The centre bolt had unscrewed itself. Entirely my own fault. Insufficient thread locker, and' I neglected to check and tighten all the chair's nuts and bolts for several weeks. Gonna be a bitch to fix because of its position.

I suggest you check yours now!
greybeard

Re: Timely reminder

Postby Burgerman » 19 Mar 2019, 10:38

Nice! Cant say that I ever had one come loose in 22 years. But I might give them all a shake!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 19 Mar 2019, 10:55

greybeard wrote:Just cooking my egg and sausage when BANG! The F/W drive Puma lurches down and left, coming to rest leaning against a kitchen cabinet.

Left hand side drive wheel had come off the motor spindle. The centre bolt had unscrewed itself. Entirely my own fault. Insufficient thread locker, and' I neglected to check and tighten all the chair's nuts and bolts for several weeks. Gonna be a bitch to fix because of its position.

It's time to check my Puma 40 after reading that :D
terry2

Postby greybeard » 19 Mar 2019, 11:23

terry2 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Just cooking my egg and sausage when BANG! The F/W drive Puma lurches down and left, coming to rest leaning against a kitchen cabinet.

It's time to check my Puma 40 after reading that :D

If it's as stock it will have single-use locking tabs on the spindle bolts. I never bothered to replace mine when I changed wheels. Maybe I should re-think that.
greybeard

Postby Mechniki » 19 Mar 2019, 16:12

Bolts/screws on the left side on many wheelchairs come lose. I check mine with a wheel brace or socket wrench every now and then. The Marbella's left drive hub comes lose occasionally, despite having a Nyloc nut. Too little space to fit two half nuts (between wheel and output shaft), which would secure better. I would just spot/tack weld if there was space to use a grinder. And it wasn't under warranty.
I generally check wheel hubs before considering going out. Out out. Not just outside for a smoke
Mechniki

Postby Burgerman » 19 Mar 2019, 22:05

If you tighten those things up properly, they dont ever come loose. I used old bolts or nuts on those and never had an issue once.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair