Healing a butt sore while sitting.

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Healing a butt sore while sitting.

Postby sacharlie » 12 Apr 2019, 19:59

Can it be done.

Yes I can with a Supracor Stimulite if I cut out the area at the sore site. BUT if there is more than one spot and they are close then not so easy.

Now ROHO claims you can heal up to stage 3 sore on their air cushion. Anyone believe that OR opinion?

Have not read that claim looking at the JAY cushion but they do have an optional roho inserts in place of their gel.

Has anyone seen any other brand cushion that claims you can heal while sitting?
sacharlie

Re: Healing a butt sore while sitting.

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2019, 21:45

Healing while sitting is a very complex and interesting thing. Esp to me as I have wasted 3 years.

But its all testimonial stuff, not reliable as evidence and no decent evidence is available of what worked or why. Because the causes and also healing depends on type of sore, on diet, temperatures, clothing, specific sore details, time spent sitting or driving where you are rattled about, caused by sheer forces or pressure? Or heat? Or diet? Or transfering, or time, seat base and back angle, age, and 101 variables such as seat cushion sizing. Nobody can know the reasons because every last person, condition, is going to be different. So there cannot ever be any reliable evidence of this. So take any claims with a pinch of salt. Not a grain of salt, thats an messed up version that made it to the US! The idea originally was that a pinch of salt was to be thrown over your shoulder for 'luck'...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mechniki » 13 Apr 2019, 15:14

bean bag
I sit on a lap tray (upside down) when my bum gets sore
Mechniki

Postby wheelie junkie » 13 Apr 2019, 17:22

As BM says, too many variables involved. Even if you find a cushion that claims you can sit and heal ask for a copy of the research testing then read carefully. Whilst imprisoned in a care home the staff wanted me to use an all day sling, left in, not removed. I wasn't happy (they were just too lazy to take out and put back in) so asked for research to show it was safe. Manufacturer gave me a "test" conducted at a university on 20 people sitting for 15 minutes who showed no sign of pressure damage. They were all able bodied not a single tetraplegic. Test was paid for by the manufacturer. All nicely presented as a research report. Needless to say I kept the staff busy taking out and putting in slings.
wheelie junkie

Postby flagman1776 » 13 Apr 2019, 19:12

I had sore butt issues... last year. I was very concerned about tissue damage. I CAN stand very briefly... I have a "Wonder gel blue honeycomb" cushion. But it's not enough. I was able to recover the spots before tissue damage by changing seats often but I don't believe you can heal a sore while sitting on it. And the sitting on other spots seems to risk damage there.
I suspect that a rotation of changing positions frequently is the only way to recover a wound.

I had a small surgical wound... I had a suspicious mole removed after the biopsy. The dermatologist took out a 1 1/2" almond shaped piece just above my ankle. My good leg with minimal swelling. It didn't heal. After 6 weeks, I insisted on a referal to a hospital wound center. The hospital they refered me to, couldn't start treatment for 5 weeks. I found another Hospital wound center just a five miles further driving, started treatment 5 days later. It took 16 weeks to mostly heal it... it still has a waxy covering, 6 months later. What a mess.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Apr 2019, 01:51

There is a cushion Aprilia or Aprilair or something like that, which advertises in New Mobility a lot, which doesn't explicitly claim to do healing with sitting, but sort of implies it... However I was told by one DME that they list for a couple thousand US$ :shock: Basically its an alternating air pressure cushion like BM was talking about a few months back...

I have doubts about ROHO, but then I don't like their cushions anyway...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair