35 miles per hour power wheelchair

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

35 miles per hour power wheelchair

Postby mgwmgw » 27 Apr 2019, 03:35

35 miles per hour power wheelchair (56.3 kph)
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2043791522556126

Wheeeeeeee!
mgwmgw

Location: North Billerica, Massachusetts 01862, U.S.A. (northwest of Boston)

Re: 35 miles per hour power wheelchair

Postby Burgerman » 27 Apr 2019, 09:02

Its a moped. Hes nuts though, no suspension. Skinny tyres. One pot hole and hanged
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 27 Apr 2019, 12:25

That's one of these sorts of things https://www.rgklife.com/uk/wheelchairs/ ... iride.html, and yes they are quick.

There are several makes but I think Tri-ride are considered the best. I thought about getting one once, but you couldn't ride it on uk roads, at least not where I live. You'd be busted in no time by the police, everyone's got mobiles so will probably phone up rozzers and put the bubble in.

Too dangerous on UK roads anyway unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Too much traffic, pot holes and sunken drain covers (I know I ride my mob scooter on the road all the time). And pavements are atrocious, tree roots, wheelie bins, parked cars (all 4 wheels on pavement), no drop kerb, etc, etc. :fencing. So you couldn't ride fast on pavement anyway.

So I decided not to get one. Class 3 scooter and/or powerchair is much more practical imo. When you see video ads for these sort of device they're always whizzing along billiard table flat surfaces like cycle lanes and shopping malls.
Scooterman

Postby martin007 » 27 Apr 2019, 21:15

Too fast... :ak47
martin007

Postby Mechniki » 28 Apr 2019, 00:54

Scooterman wrote:That's one of these sorts of things https://www.rgklife.com/uk/wheelchairs/ ... iride.html, and yes they are quick.

There are several makes but I think Tri-ride are considered the best. I thought about getting one once, but you couldn't ride it on uk roads, at least not where I live. You'd be busted in no time by the police, everyone's got mobiles so will probably phone up rozzers and put the bubble in.

Too dangerous on UK roads anyway unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Too much traffic, pot holes and sunken drain covers (I know I ride my mob scooter on the road all the time). And pavements are atrocious, tree roots, wheelie bins, parked cars (all 4 wheels on pavement), no drop kerb, etc, etc. :fencing. So you couldn't ride fast on pavement anyway.

So I decided not to get one. Class 3 scooter and/or powerchair is much more practical imo. When you see video ads for these sort of device they're always whizzing along billiard table flat surfaces like cycle lanes and shopping malls.

I used to own 2 PDQ Powertrykes, and an EPC wheelchairs conversion. They are allowed on roads and pavements, they have a key switch for high and low.
The PDQ's didn't like the wet at all and were only 200W motors, hated hills as front wheel drive, needed the lead bricks to put weight down over the tyre. The EPC wheelchairs conversion was 199W but the electrics were more secure and didn't fry when it rained. But neither would get up a hill, without help of your self pushing on the hand rim. And hard to insure as it's a manual to electric mod. However being a mobility device doesn't need insurance.
The RGK Tri-ride looks cool, at least from the video. I imagine RGK would do their own insurance for it or at least have a broker. But they can be used on roads and pavement. If you want that to get over 37mph you can get a 1200W hub motor from Evans Cycles. Or Heizmann Hub motor.
Mechniki

Postby Burgerman » 28 Apr 2019, 01:44

However being a mobility device doesn't need insurance.

Over 8mph, it is no longer a mobility device. And needs all the same registration, and all the legal stuff as a car does. Inc mot tests, number plates, road legal insurance cover and driving licence, and registration as a normal non mobility vehicle.
https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-an ... airs-rules

https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-an ... -carriages

Rules for class 3 invalid carriages

Class 3 invalid carriages must have the following features:

a maximum unladen weight of 150kg
a maximum width of 0.85 metres
a device to limit its speed to 4mph
a maximum speed of 8mph

an efficient braking system
front and rear lights and reflectors
direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
an audible horn
a rear view mirror
an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway

Driving on the road

You can only drive on the road in a class 3 invalid carriage. The maximum speed is 8mph.

You could be stopped by the police if your class 3 invalid carriage does not have these features.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 29 Apr 2019, 17:16

I got busted riding my class 2 scooter on the road. A cop car pulled along side me and said, 'You haven't got lights and mirrors so get on the pavement'. He did also say he was concerned about my safety, so he wasn't all bad :fencing
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 29 Apr 2019, 17:34

Mechniki wrote: The PDQ's didn't like the wet at all and were only 200W motors, hated hills as front wheel drive, needed the lead bricks to put weight down over the tyre. The EPC wheelchairs conversion was 199W but the electrics were more secure and didn't fry when it rained. But neither would get up a hill, without help of your self pushing on the hand rim. And hard to insure as it's a manual to electric mod. However being a mobility device doesn't need insurance.
The RGK Tri-ride looks cool, at least from the video. I imagine RGK would do their own insurance for it or at least have a broker. But they can be used on roads and pavement. If you want that to get over 37mph you can get a 1200W hub motor from Evans Cycles. Or Heizmann Hub motor.

EPC sell the Tri-Ride, that's how I found out about them. Nathan (shop guy) bought one and raved about it. He said it was the only trike attachment he reckoned that was any good.
As far as not enough downforce on the front wheel. I remember seeing a guy had fitted a second camber tube to his rigid frame manual wc. The additional CT was positioned as far rearward as the frame would allow so as to shift his CoG as far forward as possible to give the front wheel grip. But his wasn't a powered attachment, it was one of them handcycle thingys.
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 29 Apr 2019, 17:40

Burgerman wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-an ... -carriages

Rules for class 3 invalid carriages

Class 3 invalid carriages must have the following features:

a maximum unladen weight of 150kg
a maximum width of 0.85 metres
a device to limit its speed to 4mph
a maximum speed of 8mph

an efficient braking system
front and rear lights and reflectors
direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
an audible horn
a rear view mirror
an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway

Driving on the road

You can only drive on the road in a class 3 invalid carriage. The maximum speed is 8mph.

You could be stopped by the police if your class 3 invalid carriage does not have these features.

I've thought of getting a flashing beacon for my scooter but would feel a bit silly switching it on. And it would probably confuse drivers and they would either shout abuse or slow up and ask me "if I was okay and should I be on a dual carriageway?" So I avoid dual carriageways, plus they're boring as there's nothing to see except cars whooshing past
Scooterman

Postby wheelie junkie » 29 Apr 2019, 17:57

Doesn't the Highway Code say that driving on dual carriageways isn't advisable and should be avoided if possible?
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 29 Apr 2019, 18:41

sAYS THE SAME ABOUT SPEEDING, AND DRIVING BIKES ON THE FOOTPATH. So I dont think anyone much cares what you do today! Damned keyboard.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 29 Apr 2019, 19:06

Shouldn't need the Highway Code to tell you driving a mobility scooter on dual carriageways is a bad idea. Basic common sense.
foghornleghorn

Postby Scooterman » 29 Apr 2019, 20:49

The highway code mentions something about jewel carriageways With a national speed limit. But I can’t quite remember what it says. I think it says you can’t ride on a dual carriage way with a national speed limit, but you can on one with say a 50 or 60 speed limit.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 29 Apr 2019, 21:07

Been on many dual cabbageways. With my chair. In my van. Perfectly safe that way, otherwise no!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 30 Apr 2019, 00:30

Not sure what a 'dual carriageway' is - in the US we switched from carriages to automobiles around a hundred years ago.... :P

We have Interstates and other 'limited access highways' where access is via on/off ramps, the speed limits are high, and the travel directions with multiple lanes on each side are separated.... These have legal restrictions that are basically intended to prohibit anything that can't do highway speed or close to it... They ban pedestrians, horses, pedal bikes, mopeds and scooters under 5bhp, etc... They don't explicitly prohibit wheelchairs and mobility scooters, but under the US 'ADA' we are generally classed as pedestrians...

There are also divided highways with local traffic, including lights, driveways, cross streets, etc. and those are not restricted - although riding down them in a chair is probably not the best idea.....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby foghornleghorn » 30 Apr 2019, 09:01

ex-Gooserider wrote:Not sure what a 'dual carriageway' is - in the US we switched from carriages to automobiles around a hundred years ago.... :P

UK dual carriageway is usually 2 lanes for each direction with a divider in the middle. Can be a strip of grass separating the directions, or more often a metal barrier. Speed limit is generally 70mph, unless going through a built up area where it will be signed at 40, 50 or 60.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 30 Apr 2019, 09:50

1st Cabbageways is funnier.

2nd the US was only 5th with the automobile... https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

3rd I think he meant that we are using the wrong word. But thats because we were using English. :lol: As we were long before anyone even bothered to even go out and look for the US.
And its coming from a country that gets about half the language wrong and has the cheek to think its speaking English. Its a kind of americanese screwed up version of English.

All my software for example, is similar. The US thinks it owns English! I have to choose "British English" like its some special type, over plain "English" even though I AM English and live in England. Or I get that screwed up US versions dictionary. It should obviously be the other way around. The US should have to scroll down and choose a special American English, and actual English obviously should belong to those that invented it and were using it first before we took over much of the world and spread it around. :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 30 Apr 2019, 10:14

A lot of American English is actually older words or spelling variations that have gone out of use here.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 30 Apr 2019, 11:23

Some are just plain odd.
The rear luggage compartment in a car is not a trunk. Thats the front of an elephant. The other end does not have a hood. The stuff you put in your car is called petrol. Gas is a gasseous substance, that is everything from the air you breath to the stuff that comes from a pipe your central heating runs on (methane). A fanny is not your backside! And only women have those... And 1000 other wrong things. SoLder is not soder... Etc. Still dont know what a turnpike is meant to be! And we dont have 'freeways' whatever those are. And fawcett?? Tub? czy
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 30 Apr 2019, 12:50

Joan Amourplating driving down a cabbageway :D
Scooterman

Return to Everything Powerchair