R-net

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: R-net

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2019, 09:17

To summarise anything in the R-Net family will plug in, and work together fine. Old, new, or simple and advanced. But choose careefully, as for e.g. the most basic joysticks with no screen of buttons will not allow you to do a fancy seating system. At least not in any sensible way. And here a colour diagram on a screen makes sense to see what you are adjusting. But they are bigger and get in the way.

And sometimes more is worse. E.G. Gyro/stability modules. You have to have that on front drive, to travel in straght lines. To stop them swapping ends. Or fishtailing on slower models. But they make no sense on any other config. So best NOT to have it on mid, rear drive. They just make a chair drive horribly if you are the sort that likes good control, a well programmed chair and feedback.

Likewise you dont need an 8 channel seating module just for tilt. So the cheaper 2 channel ISM makes sense for a manufacturer. As does the 90L power module. They get "enough" power for lower speed chairs (barely!) and it has built in seating actuator and inhibit options. So saves money overall. No ISM required. But not the best option for users that want power or expandability later on. And on some chairs theres nowhere to PUT a seperate ISM and extra bus cable etc.

All these fit together and work fine regardless of the .xxxx numbers. ANY 15 modules or devices. So presumably you could fit 10 extra Gyros... God only knows what that would do.

https://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Prod ... ions/R-net
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 12 May 2019, 12:04

Burgerman wrote:Only the joystick being "odd" then. Since the OEM R-Net works, it must use the same internal electronics. Why? It must cost them extra to confuse people with what can only be described as an ugly and likely well overpriced joystick! And then the stock joystick must be ok to retro fit.

So if you prefer it, or your oddball 10 one goes wrong then logically the advanced colour one will be plug and play, with no need to even reprogram anything.

https://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Prod ... ules-CJSM2

Elryko has 2 for sale new...

I didn't get that joystick, no use to me with no hand or finger movement. I got the Mo Vis multi but tried the Switch It micro guide off my NHS chair today and with a few programming changes it worked perfectly.
wheelie junkie

Postby expresso » 12 May 2019, 16:02

I have only RWD Chairs and using Quickie 646 - - BM - how can i see which ISM i have with the programmer ?

Looking at my original File - i see it shows that ISM 8 there - not sure if i have that - it was not plugged in - just opened the original file i have saved -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2019, 16:58

Go to the place I have in your menu.

Open the two fields shown. (For the ISM).

The first grey box determines what your joystick displays, and channels etc. (Double click each feild to see the images, reasign what that channel actually does, asign an image etc)

The SHORTER grey box below it shows you the ISM channels, and the settings, max current etc. If you have an ISM6 then thats what will be displayed. 6 axis. If you have ISM 2 or 4 then only two or 4 grey channels that you can edit will be shown. I THINK that if you try to edit more channels than you have it wont let you.

I am using 5 of six, which you can see here:
Attachments
Image1.gif
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 May 2019, 17:36

looks like i am using 5 then

but for some reason - when i click on the grey - a box opens that shows a picture of a chair and what each axis does - etc, - but looking at my settings - axis 2 blank - but on the picture shows it elevates - or something else - that it dosnt do -

all i have is seat lift - tilt - on the chair - no power legs or recline - looks like channel 2 and 3 - rest are disabled
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2019, 17:57

You are on the wrong module. Look at mine carefully. Thats what it WOULD do if you plugged the advanced seating module in, with 8 channels. You dont have one of those.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 May 2019, 18:32

i see - ok mines is a 6 then i believe
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2019, 18:47

It would seem so.

I am not 100 percent sure that you are right. But I think so. I have never actually had a 2 or 4 version to plug in and download the file. If I am incorrect, then you may still need to read what it says on it. You can see on yours that you are using 2 channels and the rest are pre programmed ready in case you plug in some extra seating components.

Also sit in the chair go to top bar, select TOOLS/SYSTEM TESTS. and TOOLS/DIAGNOSTICS.

=In one of those, you can see in real time Battery voltage and Battery Amps. And also you can turn left/right and watch motor Amps, and Volts, in real time. But you can also do the same with your actuators, and see which does what, what inhibit is working and when, and which channel or whatever its connected to. You can see the volts, Amps, change as you operate thise things. So you can understand which one affects what.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 12 May 2019, 18:57

good to know - i dont get into it too much unless i have to - i havnt sat in that chair all winter - i put it away and dont use it - i only charged it up twice to check it - didnt even need it - it could sit there for 6 months easy and not worry about low battery etc, - i check the Air tires a few times also to be ready in case i needed to use it -

if i dont forget it - when i start using it or plug in the programmer to check and adjust some things - i try that -

thanks -
expresso

Postby rover220 » 12 May 2019, 21:15

you will have an ism 6, sunrise dont use an ism8 only the cxsm8
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 15 May 2019, 16:16

For those that seem to think that a powerchairs electronics are complex, and those that think a powerchair manufacturer adds anything to the way they drive, take a look. All high end chairs from all manufacturers have used this or something equivelent, for the last 7 or 8 years.

Choose any R-net joystick, (I have a couple of these) https://permobilus.com/product/permobil ... ck-module/
And no, in spite of claims on that page its not permobil its just a R-Net advanced colour Joystick. I bought 2 for £125 each from different places.
And then a £45 power module, best of lot, 120A version, unused (bought from a dealer that breaks showroom chairs for reasons unknown)
And a ISM 6 channel+ ights and horn seating module. For even less delivered top my door.

This is the top of whats available. All unused. And effectively new as a complete set of parts minus the bus cables. For a complete. Advanced powerful system for a high end rehap chair, with tilt, recline, powered foortrests, lights, lift, and 120A.

For around 200 to 230 total. Exactly the same setup as ised in expensive permobils, and cheap quickie chairs. And everything else... The cheap quickiue chairs, and the expensive permobils all use the same Linix chinese motors as well.
Attachments
810_2732.JPG
810_2730.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2019, 15:05

Everything you need. As fitted to many manufacturers complex rehab chairs with the best industry parts available.
120A power module,
Advanced colour infra red and BT joystick, metal shell.
ISM6 and bus cable etc.

Not as complicated as it seems eh?

rehab-complete.jpg

Plug together (impossible to do wrong).
Connect battery and 2 motors and your chair is good to go!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 16 May 2019, 16:10

Compare the price you paid for all of that to a Switch It micro guide chin joystick or Mo Vis multi joystick and wonder how they can justify it!

You could get your own stickers made to cover the R Net ones and market your own control system like some chair makers do :)
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2019, 16:13

Some dont even bother with stickers. Permobil say that joystick is permobil...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2019, 16:41

All you need if no rehab power seating. This is everything required for a top 120A Control system.
Attachments
810_2740.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2019, 16:42

And with an OEM dongle...
Attachments
810_2741.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2019, 16:44

And everything you need for a full rehab powerchair, with up to 6 actuators, lights, and a external loud horn...
All programmable.
INCLUDING the bus cables...
Attachments
810_2744.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 18 May 2019, 11:44

This thread has got me looking at connecting my Tecla E bluetooth switch directly to the R Net instead of buying the R Net bluetooth module. I know that it is doable but needs an R Net IOM and connecting lead. Are the IOM's easy to find and how complicated to connect and set up?
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 12:26

Easy enough to get. The one thing thats defeating me is a way to calibrate a joystick input though. Easy on the Omni. No way to do it as far as I can tell on this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 18 May 2019, 12:47

I'll be using it to control ios devices like my phone and ipad. At the moment I have a Scatir eye switch https://www.liberator.co.uk/scatir-switch-deluxe that is linked via cable to the Tecla E which then connects via bluetooth to ios. Messy with 2 boxes, wire and being able to access to switch on/off and charge. Joystick could be used instead of the eye switch and give better switch control. R Net bluetooth module does the same but is £400 eek

It would leave Scatir free to use as mouse click on my lap top
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 16:18

An omni used for input may be better and easy to configure.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 18 May 2019, 16:24

I've just been looking at that, the Omni head unit has 2 inputs, no output that I can see. I'm assuming that the Omni needs to output to the Tecla. Am I missing something or just being stupid?

Had my support worker try and get to all the R Net boxes and they are in a box with a hinged cover which can't be opened because 4 bolts stop it lifting. German engineering at its best.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 16:31

The IO unitcan onlybe input or output. Not both together. The Omni is as far as I know capable of both. Not sure because I only used them for RC input.

Why do you need output? They both have 12V out. The onmi can replace a joystick. The io box needs a joystick as well as far as I know.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 18 May 2019, 16:40

I only need it to output a signal from a connected joystick to the Tecla.Joystick is on one of the inputs nothing on second Omni input.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 16:58

I only need it to output a signal from a connected joystick to the Tecla.Joystick is on one of the inputs nothing on second Omni input.

I dont know what that means.

Tecla is a switch box. Its not proportional. Its just microswitches. I do not get why it needs any input other than power. Its a device that gives an output to the 2 axis of control... It connects to any input on an omni, is calibrated for zero and all 4 full movement switches.

I have no idea what its output levels, or its neutral / zero level is, but it will only require a power out from the omni or io box, which all of the omni/io box inputs have.

The io box, has no output when the system is OFF. It must be turned on first by the normal joystick. Or a switch. The omni does. The IO cannot be calibrated unless theres a magic trick I have not found.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 18 May 2019, 17:44

The Tecla takes an input from a connected switch and outputs a bluetooth command to an ios device. If I can figure it out the input command is from the joystick. If the joystick is connected to the Omni then the Omni needs to connect to the Tecla (or R Net). Tecla support article https://gettecla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... ls-tecla-e says use an IOM but I already have the Omni. If the Omni doesn't have another output port I guess I will have to add an IOM. Or just buy the R Net bluetooth module.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 18:10

The Tecla takes an input from a connected switch

What does this mean?
and outputs a bluetooth command to an ios device.

What does this mean?

If I can figure it out the input command is from the joystick.

What does this mean?
What input. YOU are the input, the joystick has output. What is its output? Blutooth, voltage swing, resistance switches (on off) etc.

If the joystick is connected to the Omni then the Omni needs to connect to the Tecla (or R Net).

If the joystick is connected to the omni, its output is connected to the omnis input, so is already capable of driving the chair. What is the bluetooth wanted for?

Tecla support article https://gettecla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... ls-tecla-e says use an IOM but I already have the Omni.

Lost. They are both the same. The IOM has no screen, and less or no built in softeare to configure or calibtrate. You only need your existing omni for everything. Whay would bluetooth be involved??

If the Omni doesn't have another output port I guess I will have to add an IOM. Or just buy the R Net bluetooth module.

What is the other output port needed for??? :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 18 May 2019, 18:18

omni is input only. i wouldnt advise bluetooth control of an ios device, its crap tbh. android and windows works very well though with a mouse module fitted to an rnet system
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 18:20

You have a joystick right?
Connect it to the IOM or to your OMNI and thats it, you are good to go.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 18 May 2019, 18:36

The Tecla can be connected to different types of switch, usually a simple button type but also with the right interface a joystick.

It then connects via bluetooth to an ios device which my Omni can't do without a £400 bluetooth module. I can then use switch control software on the ios device with the joystick as the control.

As per the Tecla support page a DB9 cable can be used to connect the Tecla to an IOM but the Omni is an IOM so I need to connect from Tecla DB9 to the Omni so that when I want I change mode and a joystick push works my ios device.

I'm thinking that just getting a DB9 cable, connecting to Omni port 2 and trying it is the cheapest and easiest thing to do. After that look at cost of IOM and decide whether the R-Net bluetooth module is a better way to control IOS device.

With no hand function nothing is easy and you end up using switches that aren't the norm.
wheelie junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair