testing mobility charger help!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

testing mobility charger help!

Postby duke1 » 08 May 2019, 13:32

hi bm and all i am trying to establish if any of the spare chargers i have accumulated actually work my question is do they have to be under load as it where like connected to the battery circuit or can i just use the voltmeter on the terminal end of the neutrix plug?i ask because doing so my voltmeter remains stubbornly on zero! do i have dead chargers or doing it wrong,cheers for any help, :wave:
duke1

Re: testing mobility charger help!

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2019, 14:16

You must monitor the battery voltage, and then connect the charger and watch.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 08 May 2019, 14:34

Burgerman wrote:You must monitor the battery voltage, and then connect the charger and watch.

cheers i did that and says 26.8 before and 28.7 with charger so about right i guess?its a crappy charger invacare one but only charging a little scooter that should have little batterys like a golf cart but got 2 big ones of the meyra chair i broke,they aint half bloody heavy! czy
missus is dead happy with the chair since i fitted the vr2 it zooms up hills and crosses the road so much quicker so thanks for the help,now to wait many hours to see if i am flogging a dead horse!cheers cheers
duke1

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 May 2019, 04:54

duke1 wrote:hi bm and all i am trying to establish if any of the spare chargers i have accumulated actually work my question is do they have to be under load as it where like connected to the battery circuit or can i just use the voltmeter on the terminal end of the neutrix plug?i ask because doing so my voltmeter remains stubbornly on zero! do i have dead chargers or doing it wrong,cheers for any help, :wave:

Most mobility chargers have protection circuits in them that keep them from turning on unless they see more than a minimum voltage... So if you just put a meter across the terminals you will get zero volts as you describe.

While there are ways to 'fake' a voltage, by far the easiest approach is what BM described, namely monitoring the battery voltage and seeing what it does when you plug the charger in....

If the voltage goes up at all, the charger is at least sort of working - how well is a separate question.... As noted in many other threads, pretty much all the mobility chargers are crap, and will do bad things to your lead bricks... However the only way to really tell what they are doing is to use some sort of logging monitor to track what the charger does when connected to a somewhat discharged chair (it needs to be down enough for the charger to go through all it's functions) and track what it does over several hours.... (You can look up other threads for details about voltages and so on...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair