Foam stecifications for seating

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Foam stecifications for seating

Postby flagman1776 » 18 May 2019, 19:36

I am going to need to re-cushion my new power lift chair. The stupid "ultra-plush" cushions... I suspect memory foam... has me compressing it until I can feel the frame supports under my tailbone. The backrest has overlapping cushions with soft loose fill which is adjustable through a zipper underneath... just as bad.
I don't know enough about foam specifications. What do I look for? What do I ask?
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Re: Foam stecifications for seating

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 19:49

Ebay. All the foams are way too soft. Except one. The hard CONGLOMERATE foam. Or RECONSTITUTED FOAM This is relatively hard. Looks like many bits of foam glued together multi coloured...

And foams need to be layered. Softer on top.

You want the conglomerate foam wherever there is weight, like your backside, maybe 1 inch thick or more, and then the lighter foams, also 1/2 to 1 inch thick, on top of that. Where weight is low, like arms, you want no conglomerate foam. Just supposed 'hard' foam, and then soft foam on top.

Like thishttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Den ... 2477338375
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 18 May 2019, 20:06

I don't have experience with that foam, but I'll give my opinion.
Sometimes the price indicates the quality of the product.
The price (and technology) of this foam does not inspire much confidence.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2019, 20:12

Not so sure.

Memory foam is marketing based on the fact that it recovers slowly. It is soft and squashes down to very little thickness. But lift the weight away, and it remembers this. They seem to push this as a positive. Its not! It has zero actual effect on the way the foam distributes pressure. Its a marketing trick that means they can charge a 1000 pounds for a mattress... Its stupid and I hate the stuff.

The price of the heavy foam thats glued together from fragments is cheap because its made from waste. Its performance is excellent.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rlnguy » 18 May 2019, 21:30

The foam BM is describing, is sold, In the US is often called"rebond"-it's often used for carpet padding.
I've seen it laminated, with other foams, to make some pretty comfortable seating.
You might visit with someone who upholsters furniture-especially, if you can find an old timer, with experience.
They know all the tricks, for comfort and durability.
rlnguy

Postby flagman1776 » 18 May 2019, 22:15

Oh, yes, that it squishes down to nothing is exactly the problem! It doesn't support you. I do indeed need to go to a good upholstery shop but I need to know to ask the right questions.

Super soft foam creates an additional problem, no one has mentioned, that one has to lift even higher to get on / off it, as it follows you... preventing the correct position you were trying for.

The mechanism is wornout of my 20 year old lift chair butthe foam cushion is fine. Wish I could switch them.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 19 May 2019, 01:21

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 19 May 2019, 03:21

Thanks. I'll ask upholstery shop now. I could do something with the back but don't know how to get at the seat. I wonder if I'd get anywhere with the mfg?
flagman1776

Return to Everything Powerchair