Caster Fork Lock

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Caster Fork Lock

Postby Mechniki » 14 Jun 2019, 19:05

I can find them for manual wheelchairs and rollators but have not found one for a power chair. They would make sense when moving forward or backwards in a tight corridor or ramp so that the splay doesn't cause a bump into a wall or off the side of a ramp.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202650821006?chn=ps
313.jpg

Not that I have a problem with the splay on my ROMA, but the Invacare full splay was 83cm (although I will have to remeasure since dropping the caster wheel height), which bounces the caster tyre off the wall in my hallway. I believe it's also the reason that my model of chair is not allowed on Dial a Ride buses. But if I could find or fabricate a locking caster fork. Maybe someone here knows where someone might obtain a pair?
Mechniki

Re: Caster Fork Lock

Postby Mind The Gap » 21 Jun 2019, 14:29

Mechniki wrote:I can find them for manual wheelchairs and rollators but have not found one for a power chair. They would make sense when moving forward or backwards in a tight corridor or ramp so that the splay doesn't cause a bump into a wall or off the side of a ramp.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202650821006?chn=ps
313.jpg

Not that I have a problem with the splay on my ROMA, but the Invacare full splay was 83cm (although I will have to remeasure since dropping the caster wheel height), which bounces the caster tyre off the wall in my hallway. I believe it's also the reason that my model of chair is not allowed on Dial a Ride buses. But if I could find or fabricate a locking caster fork. Maybe someone here knows where someone might obtain a pair?

Hi Mechniki

Most Ottobocks have wheel locks, find them most useful for rough ground, steep cambers and ramps.

youtu.be/gKtOYCNjpIA

regards Paul
Otto Bock B500 with 105ah lifepo4 main, 48ah lifepo4 addon. 153ah total.
Mind The Gap

Postby shirley_hkg » 21 Jun 2019, 14:49

Looks to me it is because of chair is nose heavy and insufficient torque rather . drunk2

Can't recall anything similar happened .
cheers
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jun 2019, 16:13

I would be inclined to agree.

Plus. Inadequate motor load compensation which should prevent the chair going off course and automatically correct path, and probably not enough steer control because of programmed turn acceleration. and turn deceleration.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 21 Jun 2019, 17:34

My Ottobock Juvo was badly set up with torque, load compensation and turn acceleration all needing tweaking. Even using a chin control it now steers better than the video with no caster lock but I have COG well back, vent is mounted to the back of the backrest and front end hardly stays on the ground, I have to have seat tilted forward on any slope or I just wheelie up it. Dealer tried to add castor locks but I couldn't see the benefit given that I would have to ask my support worker every time I wanted them on or off.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jun 2019, 17:53

My Ottobock Juvo was badly set up with torque, load compensation and turn acceleration all needing tweaking.

Trust me. They ALL are. Every last powerchair. It makes me wonder what exactly they are on. I never found one yet that would go where its told. Ever. I dont mean in some small way but to me, completely unusable other than to get it to a programmer - my bench, as fast as possible.

It then takes me 5 mins to delete all the profiles but 1 (or 2 if you want one for moving an empty chair)
-And to set all the turn accelerations, and decelerations to 100. (Theres 4, after removing the "walls" in ABS settings that wont let you...)
-And then set high and low speed settings for forwards speed and acceleration, and reverse, and turn speeds at high and slow speed.
-And to then test motor compensation and torque and fine tune these.

Then its got ONE profile to use for everything that works indoors and out. And I have absolutely no ise what to use all the others for. You dont need or want them.

*And 1 profile thats the same as he main one with
ONLY the slowest speeds available. And with 10% less motor load compensation so that its smoother with an EMPTY chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 21 Jun 2019, 18:21

I need a few profiles, one do it all, a second duplicate but with joystick reversed so you pull back to go forward, need this as it is less tiring for chin control but I haven't been able to learn to do difficult manoeuvring this way round. Another profile with gyro off needed occasionally when gyro doesn't cope and when being transported, R Net logs a system error if I travel in the van with a gyro on profile! And one with way too much acceleration for easy wheelieing although COG is now so far back it doesn't take much to do. Caster locks might help with landing a wheelie :)
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jun 2019, 18:28

Just be careful you dont go over the back. Been there at least 15 times now. Averages about once every year at first. Getting less likely as I age. But I am less unbreakable too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 22 Jun 2019, 11:29

Hopefully the anti tips work as it'll be even worse when my LiFeP04 conversion is done, battery box is front/centre of chair and I will be saving weight, might have to ad ballast :)
wheelie junkie

Postby stevelawiw » 12 Jul 2019, 13:20

I got some made for my chair mainly use them for getting in/out of my DFW VW Caddy as when reversing the castors tend to skew out and hit both sides at once jamming me in. They work very well.
stevelawiw

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Jul 2019, 02:03

A thing that has occurred to me as a possible concern -

When BM goes over the back, he just needs to call the Turtle Rescue people to flip him back up.... :lol:

However you mention having a Vent hanging off the back, and I was wondering, how fragile it is - if you flip will it be broken or plumbing damaged?

If so, it might be worth thinking about putting some sort of 'crash bars' around it in order to protect it (BM's anti-tips are minimal but he has gone over the top of them....)

Protecting life-critical hardware seems worthwhile....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Irving » 16 Jul 2019, 08:40

stevelawiw wrote:I got some made for my chair mainly use them for getting in/out of my DFW VW Caddy as when reversing the castors tend to skew out and hit both sides at once jamming me in. They work very well.

Care to share how its done on yours?
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby stevelawiw » 16 Jul 2019, 22:24

Hi Irving yes I'll take some pics when I'm out of it next and post here. It's not pretty just to manage any expectations! But it does work :lol:
stevelawiw

Postby stevelawiw » 17 Jul 2019, 16:23

This is the pin
pin.jpg

Thats the block the pin sits in
block.jpg

And also the plate underneath with the locking hole for the pin
stevelawiw

Postby stevelawiw » 17 Jul 2019, 16:28

This one shows the pin in allowing free rotation
open.jpg
open.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 663 times

And this one with the pin down locking rotation
locked.jpg
locked.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 663 times

You can't really see it but the pin is through the plate in the last pic
stevelawiw

Postby wheelie junkie » 17 Jul 2019, 18:01

ex-Gooserider wrote:A thing that has occurred to me as a possible concern -

When BM goes over the back, he just needs to call the Turtle Rescue people to flip him back up.... :lol:

However you mention having a Vent hanging off the back, and I was wondering, how fragile it is - if you flip will it be broken or plumbing damaged?

If so, it might be worth thinking about putting some sort of 'crash bars' around it in order to protect it (BM's anti-tips are minimal but he has gone over the top of them....)

Protecting life-critical hardware seems worthwhile....

ex-Gooserider

Anti tips have worked so far and I do play around doing wheelies. You are correct that vent and pipe will be damaged if I flip but adding crash bars will put more weight further back. I'm going to add lead when my LiFeP04 batteries are fitted.
wheelie junkie

Return to Everything Powerchair