electro plating.

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: electro plating.

Postby biscuit » 22 Jun 2019, 09:00

We didn't sink. We did have scary adventures, e.g. we had a night off the coast of Portugal hooked on a tunny line going between the fin down the middle of the hull and the skeg just behind it, as we rode over the net line at dusk. We could hear that steel wire about ½ inch thick, sawing into the fin... Fortunately we weren't fiberglass or the boat would have been hanged . Next time we we were in dry dock for maintenance, we could see where the fin had a bite out of it about ¼ inch deep. Fishing lines have markers, but at dusk they are invisible! At dawn, the fishing crew arrived and they all trooped onto the deck (hobnail boots on our teak) to raise the stern so the boat would hop off the line... No dice, of course. We were 28 tonnes. Then my dad burst the floats nearest us with a gaff hook until the line sank beneath the skeg. But in storms at sea, a 53' boat is pretty safe (apart from the crew throwing up enough to sink her) because it bobs like a cork on waves that can basically snap big ships in half.
biscuit

Postby flagman1776 » 22 Jun 2019, 15:53

Oh, yes, the fish traps! We have them too. They are only allowed in certain areas, marked on the charts but weekend warriors aren't always as careful as they should be. I recall going through them as a youngster... a miscalculation on my father's part, and never repeated. We were aboard a 30 foot sloop, under sail. Very fortunately a full keel design. We sure knew it when that taught steel cable thwacked under the hull!
Many years later, I had a customer get his power boat hung up in them... the fishermen freed it the next day... and they were none too gentle. I recall having to replace cleats that were pulled right off the deck.
I had to go retrieve a boat with the customer... a brand new 25 foot inboard sport fisherman. The customer scoffed when I brought my own charts on board. I showed him, I had the correct compass bearing drawn on the map... and I insisted we follow them. I pointed out that the heading he was on would take us through the fish traps. We hit thick fog, half way out of Narragansett Bay. Visibility was between 25 and 50 feet. The customer wanted to turn back... because we were on course, I pressed on. Our land fall, (pure luck, but it increased my cred immensely) was dead center in the breakwater entrance. (I knew we'd come up on the break water, the entrance was luck.) *** He owned a mil spec metal finishing business. Plating. Hard anodizing. The company is still there but he's long since retired.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby rollingcowboy » 23 Jun 2019, 04:26

that pic of the tipped boat - it must have had all the plating only on one side?
rollingcowboy

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair