PL8 software won't install

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

PL8 software won't install

Postby wheelie junkie » 14 Aug 2019, 13:52

I'm trying to install the PL8 control software but get an error "application cannot be started contact the application vendor" anyone had this before and if so how do I fix it?

Error log file -
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 10.0.18362.0 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
System.Deployment.dll : 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
clr.dll : 4.8.3815.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
dfdll.dll : 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
dfshim.dll : 10.0.18362.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SOURCES
Deployment url : http://revolectrix.com/applications/Pow ... pplication

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://revolectrix.com/applications/Pow ... pplication resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [14/08/2019 13:37:34] : Activation of http://revolectrix.com/applications/Pow ... pplication has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [14/08/2019 13:37:34] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.UninstallApplicationAndRedirectActivation(Boolean& isShortCut, Uri& deploymentProviderUri, String textualSubId, Uri activationUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.CleanApplicationReInstall(Boolean isShortcut, Uri deploymentUri, Uri activationUri, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String textualSubId, String errorPageUrl, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, String shortcutFilePath)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.
wheelie junkie

Re: PL8 software won't install

Postby Burgerman » 14 Aug 2019, 22:41

Only thing that looks odd is that you are using 32 bit windows and thats got to be a sad machine, 4GB memory max.

And that for reasons unknown your install file says .application instead of .exe as mine do.

Are you sure theres no safety nazi thing with strange browser or anti virus thing going on?

Heres one that works. Put it in a desktop folder, it still works.
Attachments
CHGM8Sv2.exe
(10.19 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 14 Aug 2019, 22:44

You may note that your file is 5.7k and mine is 10.5MB.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 14 Aug 2019, 22:50

Looks like its trying to install it as a Windows 10 app rather than a generic executable. I suspect the missing file is the CCS executable. (I could be wrong).
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 14 Aug 2019, 22:59

God knows what hes doing. Works fine in a folder or on a desktop.

But it normally installs as a strange setup in the C:\Users\Burgerman\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\XP74E8E5.E17\Y9CJ6Q4K.D4Z\ (yours will vary and use your username... )
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Aug 2019, 00:23

The PL8 installer is actually a Click2Run thingymajig. I also noticed that WJ is running the 1903 edition of W10, maybe that's the problem as there's been quite a few issues with that version.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby snaker » 15 Aug 2019, 02:55

@wheelie junkie: PL8 software requires .net 2.0. On win10 .net 2.0/3.5 is off by default. Try to check if it was installed?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... windows-10
snaker

Postby wheelie junkie » 15 Aug 2019, 09:52

Definitely Windows 10 64 bit, running on a mac in Parallels. Setup file is 359kb and when double clicked tries to connect to a server. Windows really is a POS if you need a specific browser and add ons, it should just work without needing anything else. Download the setup file and run. Submitted a support request but nothing so far, does anyone have a stand alone installer?

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 09.42.45.jpg
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 10:08

running on a mac

:lol:

Now we know. Works perfectly on windows. Why buy a mac, then try and run windows on top. Oh yes. It wont run anything useful.
Just delete the crapware and do a clean windows install. Then it will work. God those things are useless. Just finished having my LAST fight with one a week back. Theres thread somewhere. And now I flatly refuse to fix them or try to do anything on one for anyone. Because mostly you just cant. Wste hours of time going in circles.

This is NOT a windows issue. It works perfectly on every windows machine I tried, and on everyone elses machine here.

It DOES work perfectly on a windows machine. And yes I already uploaded a stand alone installer for you. And tested it on my ex GF machine. In firefox, and IE, from here... Worked as it always does.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 15 Aug 2019, 10:35

snaker wrote:@wheelie junkie: PL8 software requires .net 2.0. On win10 .net 2.0/3.5 is off by default. Try to check if it was installed?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... windows-10

Installed and turned on.
wheelie junkie

Postby wheelie junkie » 15 Aug 2019, 10:37

Burgerman wrote:Only thing that looks odd is that you are using 32 bit windows and thats got to be a sad machine, 4GB memory max.

And that for reasons unknown your install file says .application instead of .exe as mine do.

Are you sure theres no safety nazi thing with strange browser or anti virus thing going on?

Heres one that works. Put it in a desktop folder, it still works.

That file works, thanks for uploading it
wheelie junkie

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Aug 2019, 12:58

I've never had problems with Windows on properly configured PC's. Running it on top of Mac OS is asking for trouble. Why not just get a PC just for Windows? It'll save a lot of hassle. :geek: Also you can run Mac OS on a PC provided it has the correct hardware for Apples built-in drivers, but why bother when Windows can do everything plus more! :joint

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby wheelie junkie » 15 Aug 2019, 16:10

I've never had to think about drivers or anything else since moving to Apple, I just use it and it works. Setting up another machine would mean my support workers having to remove headmouse and other add ons and would be a PITA much easier to just run on the mac. Saying that windows search box doesn't work, photos crashes on launch, updates stall and trying to find solutions requires using command line, I had enough of that 30 years ago with DOS they haven't moved far in the intervening years.

A computer is just a tool, I don't want to have to think about how it works just want it to work. I have never had a problem with a mac even running beta OS, give feedback on accessibility features from a user perspective not developer and see suggestions implemented. Windows is the opposite, not intuitive and you have to mess around getting it to work, I can't even work out how to change the onscreen keyboard from black to white without googling it, each to their own and what you get used to.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 17:39

I've never had to think about drivers or anything else since moving to Apple, I just use it and it works.

Windows is not restricted to apple hardware. So although it has thousands of drivers built in, meaning that for most normal people or normal uses it also JUST WORKS it can also have far greater flexibility. Such as being able to run tons more hardware providing that its built in drivers, or those supplied by the hardware manufacturer or those available in windows update (also just works) are OK. So the only difference here is that the apple is way more resrtictive. Which is why you have to run windows to begin with ON TOP of the crappy restrictive apple stuff. Adding all kinds of extra problems.

Setting up another machine would mean my support workers having to remove headmouse and other add ons and would be a PITA much easier to just run on the mac. Saying that windows search box doesn't work, photos crashes on launch, updates stall and trying to find solutions requires using command line, I had enough of that 30 years ago with DOS they haven't moved far in the intervening years.

Bull. NON of that happens to me. Or to 99% of people using decent quality hardware. If you buy junk then you may get issues. I dont.
First of all if you install the right version of windows, it only does security updates, and only when tested by the world and bug fixed, and only every 6 months apart. The version I and steve use is called LTSC and is devoid of all the crap, bloatware, and apple style store stuff, even web browsers etc. And is designed as a super stable no time wasted operating system for mission critical stuff such as air traffic control, banks, embedded systems in situations where all the stuff you describe (exadurate) could ever be an issue. Not that it really is to begin with. My machines have never been off since they were built. The last time was to actually install LTSC version and to reboot after installing the full blown pro version of office 2019 (for free just like windows).

A computer is just a tool, I don't want to have to think about how it works just want it to work.

But thats the problem! Apple machines DONT. I am done with fighting them to try and get anything useful done. The last waste of time was trying to do my carer a favour and download around 10k songs so she did not have to keep paying apple. Simple I nievely though. Should take seconds. It does on every other operating system. Even my dumb phone. But no. Hours later I had 2 computers infested with thousands of files and registry entries and scheduled operations that STILL WOULDNT LET ME COPY ANY FILES. Thats a similar scenario, whatever you attempt on them. This is quite apart from the fact that one will not run:
My servo testers (2)
Any of my hobby RC stuff (too may to list: speed controllers, RC transmitters, quad copter controllers, heli flybarless systems)
Hyperion or PL8 chargers (3 or each)
Any of the powerchair programmers from dynamic (2)
Any of the powerchair controllers from Curtiss Wright (4)
My multimeter logging software
My roboteq controller in the BOT
My roboteq controller in the BM3
My mountains of FREE windows software, movies, and music (I dont listen to music but I can)
Game controller for using my RC transmitter for FREE flight sim programs.
Etc etc.

So what good is it?

I have never had a problem with a mac even running beta OS, give feedback on accessibility features from a user perspective not developer and see suggestions implemented. Windows is the opposite, not intuitive and you have to mess around getting it to work, I can't even work out how to change the onscreen keyboard from black to white without googling it, each to their own and what you get used to.

You got to be joking!!! :lol:

Windows is 100 times more configurable to do anything at all. And theres many ways to do the same things, you get to choose. Apple stuff is dumbed down to the point of being totally useless.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 15 Aug 2019, 18:22

It obviously isn't consumer friendly if you have to use a special non consumer version. I just bought the version Microsoft sell. I don't steal other peoples work and pay for software and music, I'll not use my disability as an excuse to steal! I don't need a special version of Mac OS nor do I steal it because it is free and works flawlessly, no f'cking about stripping things out it works and I can customise what I want easily.

I don't have to run Windows on top of Mac I can install it as a separate OS and boot into it but running on top I just flick between them with 1 click. I've only got R Net, Wizard and now PL8 on it everything else I need I have a native Mac app for. All the USB devices work with both and I don't have to download drivers other than what windows needs, I do have to mess with com ports which you never do with a Mac.

I don't understand why someone with your knowledge can't transfer files, a quick Google would provide the solution in seconds instead you waste a day because you think that you know how, by the second failed attempt most of us would realise that we lacked the knowledge. If you apply the same principles to using a PC you'll inevitably find solutions I just couldn't be bothered to waste that much time.

As I said each to their own, Macs have served me well for almost 30 years and I find flexible enough for my needs, for others a Windows machine is better.

Thanks for uploading the PL8 software, I don't understand why there is no stand alone version on the website with everything that you need to install. Still no response to my support request compared to the help here.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 19:15

It obviously isn't consumer friendly if you have to use a special non consumer version.

Microsoft sell all of them if you are daft enough to pay. All are consumer freindly.
I never actually bought any software in 30 years at least. Other than that preinstalled on laptops. And then I format those and install a fresh version configured correctly for me. Because windows allows YOU to make the decisions. With non of dell or microsofts moneymaking bloatware for e.g. Its easier and leaves a cleaner machine, and takes around 30 mins. Direct from my Sergei boot USB stick with every version of windows and all the best software avaialable for free.

I just bought the version Microsoft sell.

So did I. Only its free...

I don't steal other peoples work and pay for software and music, I'll not use my disability as an excuse to steal!

Then you are a fool. I would NEVER buy the thousands of songs, or movies, because the amount on my hard disk would cost more than my house. But if you choose to make the richest company in the world even richer thats your choice. You can do that with windows too. And all your music, movies, software etc too. The difference is I can CHOOSE!!!

I don't need a special version of Mac OS nor do I steal it because it is free and works flawlessly, no f'cking about stripping things out it works and I can customise what I want easily.

YOU GOTTA BE JOKING!!! Its useless as it is, and it cant do much and wont run aything and you cant fix it without installing windows over the top that doesent run properly. I know, I tried. Its a pile of crap.

I don't have to run Windows on top of Mac I can install it as a separate OS and boot into it but running on top I just flick between them with 1 click

Why not do away with the crap apple system, and then no clicks. It just boots windows. And everything works.

I've only got R Net, Wizard and now PL8 on it everything else I need I have a native Mac app for.

So you bought 3 devices. And apple wont work any of them... What a marvelous system.

All the USB devices work with both and I don't have to download drivers other than what windows needs, I do have to mess with com ports which you never do with a Mac.

So then. If I gave you a memory stick, with 10k MP3s on it, will it play them?
I already know the answer to that. And can you see all the movies and can you see all the file system on this memory stick?
No... USELESS!

I don't understand why someone with your knowledge can't transfer files, a quick Google would provide the solution in seconds instead you waste a day because you think that you know how, by the second failed attempt most of us would realise that we lacked the knowledge. If you apply the same principles to using a PC you'll inevitably find solutions I just couldn't be bothered to waste that much time.

Because every other operating system on the planet just sees a memory stick as a disk. And lets you see all the files. Copy, past, done. And they play when you double click.

Apple wanted me to install some mental over complex bloated crap that wanted me to have passwords, codes, and then sync something that I did not want to do, librarys, rights, and a ton of other shit. And then proceded to shift some files into duplicates of duplicates on MY computer in a multitude of places but all mixed up and in the wrong folders. Since there was 30gb of files I now had 90gb of bloat. And all messed up too! And then wouldnt even transfer them to the apple phone. And it wouldnt play them anyway because of god only knows why. Its a pile of shit.

As I said each to their own, Macs have served me well for almost 30 years and I find flexible enough for my needs, for others a Windows machine is better.

Il say it is.

Thanks for uploading the PL8 software, I don't understand why there is no stand alone version on the website with everything that you need to install. Still no response to my support request compared to the help here.

There is. Thats where I got it from to upload. The SAME place you did. But you have some apple problem that downloaded a tiny file and called it by .somethingweird instead of .exe while it was protecting you from yourself.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Aug 2019, 21:39

Installs perfectly on an old Dell Inspiron 1545 running W10 Pro 1903 64-bit...

pl81903.jpg

I ran the Setup.exe from the Revolectrix site, it downloaded the files from their server and up pops the CCS. Whats hard about that??? :lol:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 21:44

Its some mac thing hes fighting with. It doesent run windows properly. Its seeing an executable file and something is renaming or stoppingone way or another because thats not safe for mac users...

God knows.

If you dont know how bad it really is and you think I am exadurating borrow a mac and try using it. Its rediculous.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Aug 2019, 22:05

And that's why I refuse to buy any Apple products, too many restrictions and walls! banghead I have quite a few EEPROM programmers that have no Mac support because it's a niche OS. Looking at the latest OS market share, Mac OS has dropped to under 9% from above 10%... Here... https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... 1000%22%7D

Windows will remain the top OS for years to come (For me!). :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 22:14

Its not like theres a choice. If you actually want to configure something to behave how YOU want, if you want to run anything other than facetube and web browse with one button, then theres really only windows.

That allows the choice. Dumb mode as installed just like apple. Or as advanced and complex and as configurable as you wish. For anyone that understands and uses computers a mac is a waste of time. And linux is like going back 15 years and has many of the same issues. And googles operating system is another one by an advertising company... Its even worse than apple! And just as useless and tracks you and tries to force you to be logged in/on and buy everything googe in the same way.

For anyone with a clue, or a need to do anything but surf the web, windows, configured properly is the only choice.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 22:16

download/file.php?id=11697&mode=view you have 3gb! And it still works?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Aug 2019, 22:22

It's an old 2009 laptop BM I just use for testing stuff. The PL8 software installed first time, no errors or anything just like I expected! :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby wheelie junkie » 16 Aug 2019, 10:33

Macs work perfectly fine, I can see every file on any USB stick, copy it to whatever device I want and make it work. If you can't then you need to throw away pre conceived ideas and take a few minutes to understand. Downloading the file I'm using IE not a Mac browser. I had PL8 running on a previous windows system with no problems. That was downloaded by Safari on mac and run from Windows. Windows then f'cked up on an update and now search bar doesn't work, apps are missing etc etc. Googling the problems you find 100's of others having the same issues with no definite fix so it is not a Mac issue. All I can do is reinstall Windows from scratch, I've never had to do that in almost 30 years of Mac use.

I don't steal software or music, I respect the creators and their right to be paid. That is what a free market economy is all about. I don't work for free neither should they. I'm about to head for Glasgow to see my mates headline a festival, they've sold a few million albums over the years and some of the money was used to buy bikes which kept me in a job and I could buy their records.That is how capitalism works, taking for free is like some form of crazy socialism where work isn't rewarded and there is an expectation that you are entitled to take others work. If companies make money from this good luck to them, they've invested in the production and distribution and should get rewarded. If you can't afford to buy you need to sort out your income, work and earn or cut spending depending upon what you feel is important. Your choice.

My problem is more than likely a Windows issue, the OS sucks and needs to be reinstalled, when I have a few hours to waste I'll do that. It'll probably work OK until something else in it f'cks up. Fortunately I only need it for 3 apps for everything else that I do I have a Mac option or what I need is in the OS. I don't have a need for a lot of apps, Office, Dragon, Lightroom browser, mail. My days of running sql servers and using Apache as a website server are long gone, now I just want something to do what I need with no input from me.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 16 Aug 2019, 11:22

I have never reinstalled windows since windows 95 days! What are you taking about?
Funny how windows runs great for me and all those with any idea what they are doing on decent hardware isnt it? And seems highly problematic for mac users! :D

I have never had any of the problems you are describing since about 2000. 2 decades back. There may have been a few users with issues because windows, and its mass of hardware availability is a much more complex and configurable system than your glorified phone mac operating system. So you would expect more compatibility issues. Use decent branded hardware and avoid all that totally. And I have had to fix plenty of mac problems. So I do not recognise your description. What I do recognise is that it terrible to use, and you need to run windows anyway as macs wont run most things.

taking for free is like some form of crazy socialism where work isn't rewarded and there is an expectation that you are entitled to take others work. If companies make money from this good luck to them, they've invested in the production and distribution and should get rewarded.

Taking for free is not anything to do with socialism. Its theft! And its not as if any of those 10,000 songs or anything else is any loss to the owners because I would never have paid for them anyway! I download them because I can do it for free. If I had to pay I wouldnt bother. So its no a loss to them. Thats all in the mind. I have more sense than to pay for any software (as freeware or open source alternatives are all easy to find).

For e.g. Do you really think I would pay for 10k songs? That crazy. I wouldnt pay for ANY at all ever, i dont have enough interest in music. And as for software same thing. Theres plenty of open source, free alternatives. I would never have paid for it in the first place. So the fact that I am using it free is not costing the owner anything. Why, would you buy when theres free alternatives? So these no loss to owners of any of it.

Not to mention that bill gates said that he actually WANTS home users to run illegal copies of the newest office, windows etc. Because that makes them want to be using the newest versions at work too. Increasing sales where the real money is... So its not as simple as you think!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 17 Aug 2019, 01:18

The fact is that almost windows users do not need MAC, do not care about MAC. In the opposite, many MAC users have to install Windows. If saying MAC is perfect, why needing Windows?
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 17 Aug 2019, 01:22

Because its crap. And its smple basic one button mobile phone software dumbed right down thing, designed to trap you and sell you stuff.

It may be more reliable. Because it can only work on apple limited choice (badly made, and overpriced) hardware. And because its so restrictive to use, and cant do much. So its more reliable in the way that a spanner that can only work on one sized nut is more reliable than a full toolbox of fancy powertools!

You are welcome to (pay) for it! Junk, that also has to run windows to actually run anything useful.

Why not just cut out the middle man, run a clean version of windows. More choice of software, hardware, and more configurable to suit your needs, and will actually allow you to run stuff! I dont understand what the apple software is for? Other than to frustrate anyone that wants to do more than surf. Damned thing still doesent have a right click even! The reason they all claim windows has all these problems, is that they are all bitter because they paid a lot and still need windows too!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 17 Aug 2019, 18:03

It is not just me, the search bar and photos crashing on launch are well known problems with myriads of solutions that don't work. Last resort even from MS support is reinstall. They've added so much that it is bloated and unreliable. Mac OS is basically Unix so relatively easy to code, latest version will allow ipad apps to run on it. Handy for me as I have an arm to mount my ipad which I wouldn't do with a laptop so have my ipad available all the time. Now got both ipad and macbook working from my chin control joystick so hardware seems compatible with other devices. Choosing Mac or PC just comes down to what you are comfortable with and fits your needs I've got to accept that I need windows for 3 apps but know that there will be IOS versions eventually, the world is moving towards tablets. You've got preconceived ideas and Apple moved on years ago and have much greater compatibility with other devices and continue to evolve. Both Wizard and R Net dongles work even though they are connected to Mac hardware as does almost any other device, my bluetooth headset works in the copy of Windows, the only things that don't work are search bar, photos and trying to get PL8 to install, 2 out of 3 parts of the Windows 10 features nothing to do with Apple. So it does do all of that and is reliable because the core is Unix. I'm happy with mac, you a stripped down windows nothing is going to change that, I've got the Windows PL8 app running thank you and still have had no reply from their support.

If you don't want something why do you steal it then try and give it away to someone else? There are multiple music streaming sites you can listen to what you want for free absolutely no need or reason to take something without paying for it. And musicians and other content creators do lose out when people download and share, you might not have bought it but whoever you give it to might. You can try and justify it to yourself but if you didn't want it why do it. Same goes for software, some I can understand like when companies won't make it available even at a price, that is wrong and they deserve to lose out as they had the opportunity and decided to be stupid. MS are different and make their money through selling software and no doubt allow for some piracy especially that gets more to use Windows who go on to buy Windows apps, it'll be totally different when it comes to the apps they make money from and they would do a lot more to protect if everyone started stealing.
wheelie junkie

Postby steves1977uk » 17 Aug 2019, 18:23

But Mac OS has been around for years, but hobby software like the PL8 CCS and programming software for powerchairs plus other hardware programmers will never be available for an OS with <10% market share. And no-one wants dumbed down iOS versions which are effectively the Dealer version as an iOS app, like the Dynamic LiNX app for example. PC's will remain the top tool for programming stuff, whether it's Windows or Linux.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 17 Aug 2019, 19:15

Postby wheelie junkie » 37 minutes ago
It is not just me, the search bar and photos crashing on launch are well known problems with myriads of solutions that don't work. Last resort even from MS support is reinstall. They've added so much that it is bloated and unreliable.

Really? Why is it that millions of people around the planet, like me, never have any of these issues?

And if your macs are so reliable why is it that over the years I have got sick of reading pages like this https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/f ... g-3623439/ while trying to make my brothers wives and carers macs work. Theres one here tomorrow that I have tried to sort before. It just suddenly started going super slow. Unusably so. Its going to be he same super backwards interface that fights me all the way while trying to make it work again. Scroll down a few pages of this and tell me windows is unreliable!!!

Mac OS is basically Unix so relatively easy to code, latest version will allow ipad apps to run on it. Handy for me as I have an arm to mount my ipad which I wouldn't do with a laptop so have my ipad available all the time. Now got both ipad and macbook working from my chin control joystick so hardware seems compatible with other devices. Choosing Mac or PC just comes down to what you are comfortable with and fits your needs I've got to accept that I need windows for 3 apps but know that there will be IOS versions eventually, the world is moving towards tablets.

Why is it then, that I have a massive list of stuff in my bedroom alone, that it wont run? Many of them 10 plus years old. And theres still no sign of any support? I could tell you but you wont care.

You've got preconceived ideas and Apple moved on years ago and have much greater compatibility with other devices and continue to evolve.

Nope. I have not. Theres been many times that I have looked carefully at apple stuff, and ipads etc. I would get one for my granny, or someone thats only interested in the sort of stuff that people use phones for. Like social media, mail, surfing. Other than that its a joke.

Both Wizard and R Net dongles work even though they are connected to Mac hardware as does almost any other device,

Obviously. Apple are using the exact same HARDWARE as a PC uses. That hardware is no problem, other than in many cases hard to repair (glued, components like memory soldered on board, or no way to dissasemble stuff that fails because of inadequate cooling etc. And the fact that they have the cheek to overcharge for this.

my bluetooth headset works in the copy of Windows, the only things that don't work are search bar, photos and trying to get PL8 to install, 2 out of 3 parts of the Windows 10 features nothing to do with Apple.

You or apple has obviously done something stupid to it. Who knows what apple does behind the scenes to the other file system or partition.
Just as apples rediculous windows version of its sync program which is massive and infested my copy of widows in thousands of places does. It took hours to get rid of it after its useless uninstaller left crap everywhere. And STILL wouldnt let me do the simple task I wanted to do. Useless. And backward. And bloated to the point of it making 3 coppies of the MP3 files (so 3x the original 12GB of wasted space. And it put them in its OWN folder arangements, and then tried to make "libraries" licences, and a load of other garbage I didnt want. Its just shit! Theres no other way to describe it.

So it does do all of that and is reliable because the core is Unix
:lol: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/f ... g-3623439/

If you don't want something why do you steal it then try and give it away to someone else?

I did not say I didnt want it. I said that I WOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT IT. Theres a big difference. The artist or programmer lost nothing. Because I would never have bought it to begin with. Just as those with 100GB of MP3s. Theres no way they COULD have bought it.
There are multiple music streaming sites you can listen to what you want for free absolutely no need or reason to take something without paying for it.

Feel free. Why bother?
And musicians and other content creators do lose out when people download and share, you might not have bought it but whoever you give it to might.
That is THIER choice. Its not up to me to police all those I give it too. But trust me, most people download all kinds of software, movies, and music that they would NEVER have done if it meant paying. So in that case the artist/programmer lost nothing. Some MAY have downloaded it that WOULD have paid for it. But thats non of my business.

For e.g. I have every version of office, and every variation of it, going back decades. I have no itnention of ever using it. And certainly would never have paid. But if I do, they STILL wouldnt lose any money. I have a library of software that fills a 2TB disk. Just in case.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Williamclark77 » 17 Aug 2019, 19:49

You prefer something different than BM, therefore you're wrong! :D

I build my own computers and run Windows, occasionally Linux. I hate Macs. I worked on a few years ago. Never again. However, Macs have their place.

A Mac is the way to go for strictly business use or for personal use where you know exactly what you need to do and fixed hardware that won't be changed. Use Mac specific hardware/software and you never have problems. It just works. No viruses. No malware. You pay a lot of money but you don't have to do anything but use it.

Windows can be that way if configured properly for the person using it, but then you lose out on the flexibility on Windows.

It's the exact same argument for Iphone vs Android. I absolutely hate an Iphone, but again, they have their place.

Windows did an update a few weeks ago that broke a lot of stuff. They're trying things in Windows 10 that Apple does. The things that are the reason I hate Apple stuff - changing things to how they think you should use them vs how you had it set up. After that update all of my email folders were reconfigured to how Windows thinks I should use them vs how I had them set up, many default programs were changed, my CAD software became extremely laggy, toolbars rearranged, my video card hacks removed, shortcuts added, picture galleries and slideshows created, etc. Very annoying.

They just did another update a few days ago that fixed the CAD lag. If I didn't need the internet I would unhook the network cable so they couldn't force thoswe mandatory updates in Windows 10.

Burgerman wrote:This is NOT a windows issue. It works perfectly on every windows machine I tried, and on everyone elses machine here.....
Funny how windows runs great for me and all those with any idea what they are doing on decent hardware isnt it? And seems highly problematic for mac users!

Didn't you just have a major keyboard or mouse issue that took a lot of time to sort out? :D That exact setup would've probably worked perfect on another Windows machine that didn't have whatever patch or update yours had that caused the conflict. He's probably having a similar issue. I used to get them routinely with the Hyperions. They'd all connect fine for months then one of the four I had wouldn't connect and require the whole uninstal/reinstall driver process.

Next time I build a computer I'll be installing a stripped down version of Windows instead of the OEM or retail desktop version.
WcMade.com - Get nearly anything you need made
Williamclark77

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair