Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 15 Aug 2019, 20:48

Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

I have 2 Odyssey PC1500R 12v 68ah batteries. The setup for the battery charging is wrong. Can you tell me where I'm going wrong from this video please?

https://youtu.be/T2O5WZCCEtk



BM did mention charging them at 12 V. I changed the setting which is presently at 24 V down to 12 V, and an alarm goes off. It will only charge when that setting is at 24 V. So not sure about that either.

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 15 Aug 2019, 21:38

Should the battery capacity be set to 68 (instead of the 55 it is currently on), or should it is set to 136 the combined total of 2 batteries?

Because the charger seems to be saying it is fully charged when it has only been on for one hour6, and even the wheelchair battery indicator says it is not fully charged.
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 15 Aug 2019, 21:39

Also, isn't charging at 10 A to high of a rate of charge?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 22:04

Also, isn't charging at 10 A to high of a rate of charge?

12A via XLR port.
MAX amps, the more the better if charging via Andersons.

First of all you are only seeing SOME of the settings, and doing it the impossible way without a PC and software.
And so you must install that to begin with. To configure all the parameters.

Should the battery capacity be set to 68 (instead of the 55 it is currently on), or should it is set to 136 the combined total of 2 batteries?

That depends if the charger and chair is configured to charge in paralel or series.
In series it wants to be set to 68 in theory. But because the hyperion only charges to 100thC instead of 1000th, it really wants setting to 680Ah because thats how it determines when to switch off. Since it wont let you do that, you should set it to say as high as it will allow. And set CV to limit it to 8 or 12 Hours.

But I no longer have any idea how that newer firmware works. So I cant tell you. If its set to charge as 12V in parallel, then double the Ah.

Because the charger seems to be saying it is fully charged when it has only been on for one hour6, and even the wheelchair battery indicator says it is not fully charged.



Because as I keep telling people all chargers are not the same! And the maufacturers are idiots.

Set the following.
Charge voltage 14.70V (you currently have it set way too low) or 29.40V if series wired.
Set charge Amps to MAXIMUM.
Set timer to 8 hours or to 12 hours CV (or 16 hours total charge). If the firmware on the charger doesent allow that turn it OFF.
Set FLOAT on, and float voltage to 13.60V (27.20V in series) and this will continue AFTER the charger says its ended.
Set capacity Ah to as high as it allows. Provided it still terminates at 100thC and I am guessing because that is not USER adjustable, and they used to base it on capacity.

I have 2 Odyssey PC1500R 12v 68ah batteries. The setup for the battery charging is wrong. Can you tell me where I'm going wrong from this video please?

https://youtu.be/T2O5WZCCEtk


TOTALLY wrong!
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Aug 2019, 22:26

I hope FK isn't trying to charge 2x12v in SERIES at 12v :o That will ruin them!

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 22:32

He cant be. It wont work, will do nothing or just give an error.

Right now he is trying to CHARGE at FLOAT voltage... And that will terminate at .55A because of the capacity set and the fact that it terminates at 100thC and THEN requires float for 5 or 6 hours... Which he has turned off!
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 16 Aug 2019, 11:33

Okay so the batteries are wired in series, and I am charging through an Anderson.

Set the charger as follows;
Set capacity Ah to as high as it allows. Provided it still terminates at 100thC and I am guessing because that is not USER adjustable, and they used to base it on capacity.
Set charge Amps to MAXIMUM.
Set FLOAT on, and float voltage to 27.20V in series and this will continue AFTER the charger says its ended.
Charge voltage 29.40V.
Set timer to 8 hours or to 12 hours CV (or 16 hours total charge). If the firmware on the charger doesent allow that turn it OFF.
(Sorry don't know why it is rotating the right way) https://youtu.be/dKunRhc-W1c

I haven't been able to download and install the software yet. I have managed to do the above through the normal process on the charger itself. Is that satisfactory?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 16 Aug 2019, 11:37

As you can see from the video I've only enable to set the capacity to 200 AH.

You say;
Set capacity Ah to as high as it allows. Provided it still terminates at 100thC and I am guessing because that is not USER adjustable, and they used to base it on capacity.

How do I find out whether it still terminates "still terminates at 100thC"?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 16 Aug 2019, 12:01

Image

For the software I need to download from here https://hyperion-world.com/en/resources-info/
the first set of software underlined in blue

Then run the update underlined in blue

Then install the latest software?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 16 Aug 2019, 12:20

You say;
Set capacity Ah to as high as it allows. Provided it still terminates at 100thC and I am guessing because that is not USER adjustable, and they used to base it on capacity.


Correct.
It was 100thC. I wanted them to choose 500thC and 8 hours. They were stopping it at around 1/3rd the charge Amps! They also were stopping charge at 4 hours. Not sure if thats still the case.

How do I find out whether it still terminates "still terminates at 100thC"?


I got it backwards! Its a long time since I used the olde hyperion. You need to set it to 50 to 55Ah. Because it will stop at a lower current. You cant set it to less because it will then give an error at 120% of the capacity as you charge.
Ignore me, set to 50 or 55Ah.

Then it will end at a slighly lower current. 100th of 55Ah is .55 of an Amp. 550mA

So see if thats where it ends. If it either times out (clock) or terminates at a higher or lower current you will see that clearly on the PC software you should be using.

Its like this. Float charge after it terminates WILL also complete the charge if you have all the time in the world.
So a 100thC termination and a LONG 10 it 20 hour FLOAT at 13.6 or 27.2V will also charge it fully. Thats important for battery service life.

But charging to a lower termination point, say 1000thC and staying at CV of 14.7V, or 29.4V for say 8 hours MAX results in a full charge fast with no float needed. Thats what we really need for cyclic use. And thats what we do with the PL8. The hyperion when set correctly also results in a full charge. But requires float.
Since it will end at 550mA and the the correct figure would be 68mA you need to set float to 13.6V / 27.2V and then leave on charge as long as you can.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 18 Aug 2019, 09:48

This charger is the one you use now?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223008081045?c ... kAQAvD_BwE
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Irving » 18 Aug 2019, 09:52

funkykeyboard wrote:This charger is the one you use now?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223008081045?c ... kAQAvD_BwE

That's not a charger, that's the power supply for a charger

Its also rather expensive
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
User avatar
Irving
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: 04 Dec 2012, 11:51
Location: NW London

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 19 Aug 2019, 19:06

Burgerman wrote:And thats what we do with the PL8.
what is the PL 8?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 19 Aug 2019, 19:13

This is the Powerlab 8 (PL8 for short)... http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_description_tab.htm

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 19 Aug 2019, 20:09

steves1977uk wrote:This is the Powerlab 8 (PL8 for short)... http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_description_tab.htm

Steve

thanks but damn! I'm not splashing out another 200 quid. I already have 3 chargers, 2 Hyperion and another one. czy
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 19 Aug 2019, 20:26

Sell them. Get a PL8.

1340 watts, 40A, and a better more configurable menu that has a updated firmware after me badgering them for 2 years to make it work properly! Also more electrically reliable than the hyprions. I have a pile of old dead hyperions.

And I can mod the presets a little further to suit our larger batteries...
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 19 Aug 2019, 20:28

The PL8 is more electrically robust than the old Hyperions, and are much more configurable. When one of your Hyperions die, get the PL8!

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 19 Aug 2019, 20:46

Here is a SHIRLEY_HK power supply. Cheap, and as well as a 0 - 50A and 0 - 60V power supply (3000 watts) its also a completely configurable 3 stage charger. So good for lead batteries without any charger. At up to 50A if you want.

And a PL8... Itself being 40A and capable of properly charging lead, as well as lithium and anything else with better balance capability and config than the old hyperions.
Attachments
810_2311-smaller.JPG
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 Aug 2019, 14:13

Okay I will throw another question at you.

I have a Hyperion, and the cable for charging lithium batteries has already been made up for me by an electrician. So I know all I have to do now is wire up the lithium batteries correctly so they fit the already made cable. If I buy the PL8 will I have to make up the cable again that connects the charger to the lithium battery?


(I have the dry cell batteries in now just because I want to get the chair running after 7 years of making it. In the fullness of time I will be able to use both lithium and dry cell, I'm hoping.)
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 Aug 2019, 14:15

Burgerman wrote:Here is a SHIRLEY_HK power supply. Cheap, and as well as a 0 - 50A and 0 - 60V power supply (3000 watts) its also a completely configurable 3 stage charger. So good for lead batteries without any charger. At up to 50A if you want.

And a PL8... Itself being 40A and capable of properly charging lead, as well as lithium and anything else with better balance capability and config than the old hyperions.


I have the dry cell batteries in now just because I want to get the chair running after 7 years of making it. In the fullness of time I will be able to use both lithium and dry cell, I'm hoping. So from what you have said the the Shirley_HK would not be as good for lithium as the PL8?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2019, 14:32

banghead

What will you use as a power supply for the PL8? Shirleys supply CANNOT charge lithium alone obviously.

You need BOTH for lithium.
You can USE both for lead, but can use JUST the power supply as a charger if you want.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2019, 14:42

The Hyperions use the JST-XH 7 pin connectors for the balancing wires, while the PL8 uses a 9 pin JST-PA one for 8 cells (which is easier for a 24v setup). Also the PL8 has a 1000mA balancing current versus the Hyperions 300mA, so it can balance the cells faster in less time. :thumbup:

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 Aug 2019, 15:07

Burgerman wrote:banghead

What will you use as a power supply for the PL8? Shirleys supply CANNOT charge lithium alone obviously.
Image
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 Aug 2019, 15:56

At present I have dry cell batteries, but I will be moving towards lithium as well. So;

I have a choice between 2nd hand from eBay;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revolectrix- ... SwefldWAbK
and brand-new from the manufacturer;
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... C5-version

Considering your I already have the fusion powersupply (is that compatible)
1. Does the eBay version have everything I need, cables et cetera?
2. Given the price of the 2nd hand one would you go for the brand-new?
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 Aug 2019, 16:05

Burgerman wrote:Here is a SHIRLEY_HK power supply. Cheap, and as well as a 0 - 50A and 0 - 60V power supply (3000 watts) its also a completely configurable 3 stage charger. So good for lead batteries without any charger. At up to 50A if you want.

sorry I get what you are saying now.

However, when I do a Google or Yahoo search for SHIRLEY HK power supply, I received no links to anywhere I can purchase this or even discussion of it???
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2019, 16:06

That Fusion PSU is 5x LESS powerful than the Shirley PSU. It will work though, but you'll be limited to about 20A.

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2019, 16:12

funkykeyboard wrote:However, when I do a Google or Yahoo search for SHIRLEY HK power supply, I received no links to anywhere I can purchase this or even discussion of it???


Why are you searching Google and Yahoo for it? czy It's right here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7670

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2019, 17:00

Those fusion supplies go bang as well. I returned 3.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 47315
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 Aug 2019, 18:39

steves1977uk wrote:That Fusion PSU is 5x LESS powerful than the Shirley PSU. It will work though, but you'll be limited to about 20A.

Steve
So let me get this straight.

Firstly you are saying I can charge the 2 dry cell batteries wired in series JUST with the fusion PSU through an Anderson connection? I do not need the Hyperion charger?

If I charge it JUST with the fusion PSU, will that set up charge the batteries better than using the Hyperion charger the way BM has told me to set it up?

I'm just trying to give the 2 batteries a decent charge. :-)

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 22 May 2010, 15:45
Location: Southport, PR8

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2019, 19:04

banghead

That Fusion PSU will power a PL8 is what I was referring to. I don't recommend using just the PSU for charging your Lead bricks, you need a ZXD2400 PSU from Shirley to do a proper job.

Steve
User avatar
steves1977uk
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 21:47
Location: Wells next the Sea, Norfolk, UK

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Burgerman, CPguy, duke1, Google [Bot], oleg79, woodygb and 36 guests

cron

 

  eXTReMe Tracker