Bearing race stuck in hub

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Bearing race stuck in hub

Postby funkykeyboard » 24 Sep 2019, 12:56

On my Lifestand wheelchair the wheel bearing race has got seized in the wheel. Does anybody have any ideas of how I could remove it?
Here is a picture of the hub with the race stuck in;
and here is a picture of the other hub where the bearing has come out.

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Re: Bearing race stuck in hub

Postby Irving » 24 Sep 2019, 13:16

Try soaking in penetrating fluid for 24h.

If that doesn't work & if the hub is metal apply heat to the outside, not the bearing itself. That should free it. Alternately some freezer spray, as used by plumbers, applied to the inside of the bearing.
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby flagman1776 » 24 Sep 2019, 18:45

Is there enough of a lip to clamp a vise grip on? I have lots of VG in different sises. Either try prying under the edge where the VG is. Or turn it over, raised up on something and try a punch through the center hole against the VG?
TravelScoot1 3P8S LiFePO4 Hyperion 1420i
TravelScoot2 OEM LI & charging
battery interchange adapters
flagman1776

Postby Scooterman » 25 Sep 2019, 12:54

Irving wrote: Alternately some freezer spray, as used by plumbers, applied to the inside of the bearing.

I've never used freeze spray. Can it cool (for example) a steel bolt seized in say an aluminium casing, enough to loosened the bolt enough without shearing the bolt or alu thread? The knowledge might come in handy one day.

Is the freeze spray liquid nitrogen?
Scooterman

Postby Irving » 25 Sep 2019, 14:16

Scooterman wrote:
Irving wrote: Alternately some freezer spray, as used by plumbers, applied to the inside of the bearing.

I've never used freeze spray. Can it cool (for example) a steel bolt seized in say an aluminium casing, enough to loosened the bolt enough without shearing the bolt or alu thread? The knowledge might come in handy one day.

Is the freeze spray liquid nitrogen?

It will, though you might need more than 1 can. It will put a 22mm dia 20mm long ice plug in a copper pipe. It's carbon dioxide based AFAIK
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby ex-Gooserider » 01 Oct 2019, 05:10

Some freeze spray used to be made from Freon back in the good old days when Green was just a color.... Now it can vary between manufacturers...

If trying to drive the race out, be sure to apply any force evenly, don't let the race get 'cocked' over to an angle (if it does, put force on the side needed to even it back out)

If the penetrating oil doesn't work, another way to remove a stuck bearing race (good especially if you can't get to the back side to drive it out) is to run a bead of weld around the inside of the race - when it cools it will contract the race so it is smaller, and the heat will also break up a lot of corrosion... (Downside, expect lots of smoke if you tried penetrating oil first - use good ventilation and masks... Also do NOT clean parts w/ brake cleaner before using heat - high heat causes brake cleaner to break down into PHOSGENE gas - HIGHLY TOXIC!!!! (it was one of the nastier 'war gases' before the Geneva Convention prohibited such things))

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair