Embarrassing OOPS, w/ self rescue & fix

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Embarrassing OOPS, w/ self rescue & fix

Postby ex-Gooserider » 26 Sep 2019, 02:49

I had an embarrassing OOPS last night that bears repeating as a cautionary tale....

I have my chair set up with a variant on the BM 'charge from vehicle' setup... Instead of using SB-50's on the chair end like he does, I use four PP-75 shells (they use the same pins as the SB-50) arranged into a square block... I have always thought this was slightly better as it made for a more compact and neat setup.
Electrically it's the same thing... Instead of a long jumper wire w/ an SB-50 on each end, I have a small block with a short jumper between two pins. I also added a 24V 'outlet' of AWG 10 wires to a pair of the smaller PP-15/30/45 plugs which I use to run my cordless drill or anything else than needs chair power...

Last night while driving home, I had the chair plugged in to charge, and when I hit a bump my jumper block fell off the place I put it and landed somewhere on the van floor... :oops: :cussing When I got home I could not see where it landed to try and retrieve it :cussing banghead - the chair doesn't move for crap on the 12V charge cable, let alone w/o any jumper at all...

Trying to figure out a way to deal with this, I came up with a solution that worked w/ my setup, but probably would not work for BM.... I pulled out my Leatherman multi-tool (never leave home without your pocket toolbox... :ugeek: ) and jammed the tips of the needlenose pliers into the appropriate adjacent pins on the PP-75 block... It was a real pain as I needed to hold the pliers just right, and any bump or wiggling moved them, but this let me power the chair enough to get into the house... I was then able to transfer into my manual chair and go back out and do a more thorough search...

I found the plug and all is now well - and I now have it fastened to the chair frame w/ a leash - so it won't get lost again...

I highly recommend adding a leash to the jumper, as it is a real problem to lose it otherwise.....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Re: Embarrassing OOPS, w/ self rescue & fix

Postby Burgerman » 26 Sep 2019, 10:15

I have spare loops, in my bag on my knee. Because certain people in the pub find it funny to pull it out... And in case of dropping it.

But yes you can short it out with your keys, etc if needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 26 Sep 2019, 11:07

Not as daft as me blowing a fuse going up a hill that was just too steep and then realising that I wasn't carrying a spare and that there wasn't one stored anywhere on the cair. Fortunately we were visiting a national trust property and they loaned me one of their scooters to get back on so that I could go off and find some new fuses - my first chair had a breaker so you just pushed a reset button - think I might just replace that fuse with one too
Lesson learned
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 26 Sep 2019, 11:35

If you can blow that fuse in use then it is undersized. If you fit a slightly larger one then the cables ay be undersized. Fuses are actually preferable to breakers as long as they are not undersized... Should be around 125A to 150A midi fuse if you want to be sure it wont fail un use.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 26 Sep 2019, 11:37

I use a 125A fuse on my chairs with 100A Pilot+ and 120A R-Net systems, never had an issue climbing steep hills. This is with 10mm2 PVC wiring from battery to PM.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby rickystyx » 26 Sep 2019, 18:22

Thanks guys - my chair only has a 70A controller at the moment and the fuse was 80A - ok I'm not light and the hill was long and steep.
I could up it to 100A I suppose but eventually I hope to change the controller - in fact I just got a 100A pilot plus but I'm not sure if the bits would be transferable
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Postby flagman1776 » 27 Sep 2019, 03:07

My Pride Wrangler uses a generic large audio plug as a "key." I've always kept it attached with a lanyard. I also installed a hidden drawer under the seat and included a spare key. Because of how I used it, I didn't have security problems but it was a concern. At one time I considered camouflaging the key with a knob so strangers wouldn't recognize the potential weakness.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby ex-Gooserider » 01 Oct 2019, 04:40

All reasonable solutions - I have added the leash and it works very nicely... I used a small (cheap, non-climbing rated) carabiner on the plug end that snaps into the cable loop, so it is easy enough to detach the plug completely if I ever decide that I need to....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair