Fitting Eazilock or similar?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Fitting Eazilock or similar?

Postby Irving » 12 Oct 2019, 12:46

The restraint retraction system on my WAV has stopped retracting :( and I'm having a hard time finding someone to look at it... preferably today

Something I've been meaning to look into for a while is an eazilock or similar. How much, how easy to fit, can it be fitted to my Puma and whats the downside?
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Re: Fitting Eazilock or similar?

Postby Burgerman » 12 Oct 2019, 19:54

In the van, place ezelock, ON 2 rails, e.g. 40MM TALL SPACER BLOCKS and drill floor for 4 bolts. Run a cable to a dash switch. And 12V power.

On the chair fit a bolt that is the height of the ezelock restraint top surface and then add 10mm. Use a 16mm tow bar bolt... It will be around 40mm higher up than everyone elses like my own. So no clearance problems.

To get the correct place fit bolt to chair. Fit ezelock to bolt... Position the chair and yourself in the correct place. Mark the ezelock position on the floor. Then get out of the way and drill... Try to avoid brake and fuel pipes. Thats not usually an issue. but if you dont look first :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 12 Oct 2019, 20:12

Thanks BM

Well the RAC came out and a nice man called Steve took the cover off and had a look. The retraction spring has snapped so it wont retract if pulled out more than 2/3 car length. So still usable as long as I'm in the car rather than at the bottom of the ramp before putting the front restraints on.

Monday I'll be calling Brotherwood and/or Unwin to see if it can be fixed (its 7 years old) at a sensible price. Any more than £300 and I'll be calling steeringdevelopments in Hemel Hempstead about an EZ Lock.
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 12 Oct 2019, 21:48

Ezelock and other clones are all basically a car door latch, with a simple solenoid to unlatch it. All dead simple stuff. Theres nothing hard about fitting one, other than being in a chair. Any self respecting DIYer could do it. But its a measure twice fit once thing. And consider all your now and future chairs.

Fit to the floor, like most do, and the bolt on the chair is too low... And hits stuff.
Fit it 1.5 or 2 inches higher on spacers, and the bolt can be much shorter. But only if your chair has adequate ground clearance to begin with. And best place is between the drive wheels.

Other than that its all self explanitory.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 15 Oct 2019, 04:29

Ez-lock / Q-lock (same basic idea, different companies - but their lockdown bolts are the same size) make brackets for the bolt that fasten to the bottom of most chairs if it isn't practical to fab your own...

If wired per the stock installation, the lock will be obnoxious about not letting you out unless you have satisfied all it's interlocks - essentially you must be in park, engine off, and key out of the ignition or the system won't fire the solenoid to let you go... It will also not let you go if there is any sort of electrical failure (highly likely in an accident, or if there are major mechanicals that might make you want to get out NOW....)

However it is possible, and I strongly recommend it, to fit a cable release that will unlock the latch manually.....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair