Magic Mobility RWD V4 f

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Magic Mobility RWD V4 f

Postby Russell » 19 Oct 2019, 04:37

Below is some concerns I have had with my 6 mth old Magic Mobility RWD V4 for your information.

I have recently purchased a V4. The chair itself is very good & I'm happy with it. However, the swing away leg rests supplied are a poor design and because of this I find the whole chair unusable.

The hinge under the footplate protrudes 3cm below the footplate and catches on everything eg. gutters, door frame lips, potholes etc. This has resulted in three very bent footplates within six month usage, and potentially could lead to injury.

The locking pin, just below the knee, is made of metal & designed to save itself and ruin the whole $850 leg hanger.

When transferring on a sliding board, the upper part of the leg hanger is too high & restricts the easy flow of the knee when passing over it. This makes it more difficult to transfer.

The cost of $850 to replace the entire leg hanger (no parts sold separately) has made it uneconomical to continue to use the chair. I'm finding myself in the position of having to garage this chair for emergency use only.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has found similar issues or a solution to this problem?
Russell

Re: Magic Mobility RWD V4 f

Postby Burgerman » 19 Oct 2019, 08:41

Is this the daft swingaway seperate footplates or the centre footplate?

Any pics?

Is your centre footplate similar to this (yes wrong chair) https://f4n3m9b2.stackpathcdn.com/media ... x8_8_2.jpg

If so the obvious solution is to chop off the extra length you dont need once footplate is correctly positioned for your own leg length. Which anyone configuring the chair would do if they had any common sense.
Or it will cause issues. Better that way than not be long enough for tall people.

But I may be wrong. There are many footplate options on these chairs. If its the typical industry power single swingaway footrests, and you transfer via a board, then obviously those are the wrong option for you. They stick up and ahead by a mile making transfers all but impossible. Without a pic, I am guessing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 20 Oct 2019, 17:07

Russell, take a couple pics of your chair, specifically your swingaway leg rests, and post them here. Having a visual will be helpful.
Gnomatic

Postby Rollin Positive » 20 Oct 2019, 21:50

Russell wrote:Below is some concerns I have had with my 6 mth old Magic Mobility RWD V4 for your information.

I have recently purchased a V4. The chair itself is very good & I'm happy with it. However, the swing away leg rests supplied are a poor design and because of this I find the whole chair unusable.

The hinge under the footplate protrudes 3cm below the footplate and catches on everything eg. gutters, door frame lips, potholes etc. This has resulted in three very bent footplates within six month usage, and potentially could lead to injury.

The locking pin, just below the knee, is made of metal & designed to save itself and ruin the whole $850 leg hanger.

When transferring on a sliding board, the upper part of the leg hanger is too high & restricts the easy flow of the knee when passing over it. This makes it more difficult to transfer.

Are you a US buyer or International?

Leg hangers are not a big US feature have you thought about going back the DME and get a center mount footplate? Much more durable and dont get banged up.

The cost of $850 to replace the entire leg hanger (no parts sold separately) has made it uneconomical to continue to use the chair. I'm finding myself in the position of having to garage this chair for emergency use only.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has found similar issues or a solution to this problem?
Rollin Positive

Postby Rollin Positive » 20 Oct 2019, 21:50

Russell wrote:Below is some concerns I have had with my 6 mth old Magic Mobility RWD V4 for your information.

Are you a US buyer or International?

Leg hangers are not a big US feature have you thought about going back the DME and get a center mount footplate? Much more durable and dont get banged up.
Rollin Positive

Postby Gnomatic » 20 Oct 2019, 22:48

Rollin Positive wrote:

True. And if you get the power elevating center foot post, its length is adjustable so no excess post is hanging below the footplate. And IMO, its even more robust that the regular fixed post. As BM mentioned, if you have/get the standard center foot post, chop off any excess protruding below where you have the footrest mounted to maximize ground clearance.
Gnomatic

Postby Russell » 22 Oct 2019, 05:50

I am 183 cms longish legs and want swing away footrest because I go to eat out and mostly they have centre pedestal tables that I can straddle. Also I have become used to them. I am a computer dummy. I have photos to post but need help.Maybe on the weekend. Thanks for the replies so far but center mounted footplates are not for me. Thinking it may be possible to buy quickie or other brands and have knee part made up by a metal worker?? Russell
Russell

Postby Rollin Positive » 22 Oct 2019, 17:59

Russell wrote:I am 183 cms longish legs and want swing away footrest because I go to eat out and mostly they have centre pedestal tables that I can straddle. Also I have become used to them. I am a computer dummy. I have photos to post but need help.Maybe on the weekend. Thanks for the replies so far but center mounted footplates are not for me. Thinking it may be possible to buy quickie or other brands and have knee part made up by a metal worker?? Russell

I think the issue is the chair has a lot of power and torque behind those motors so your going to hit a lot of things with footrest and they are going to get banged up.

Also many of us use the footplate to move things, push doors open etc and that is going to bank up leg rest too.

We eat out a ton also the trick to eating out with a center mount footplate is there is a split between the left and right plate that fits between the leg, of of not try sitting on the order of the table or at worse you can flip up one side of the footplate to give that extra room.

Rollin Positive

Postby Russell » 23 Oct 2019, 00:16

Thanks for your reply. I did not know about the gap between the centre mount plates. I will check it out. I got a reply from a complaint I sent to Magic Mobility. Mostly Public relations Bumff. I told them to look ups the plates on their holding company Quickie. 40 years in a chair and never come across this problem. Its just badly thought out design. Also the metal locking pin near the knees should be plastic.as it is now its a $10 part that saves itself and ruins a $850 complete foot hanger. Crazy Russell
Russell

Postby Russell » 24 Oct 2019, 23:39

Photo 1, The hinge and support protrudes 3 cms under the footplate. This catches on anything slightly under my footplate.
Photo 2 . The lock pin (a $10 metal part) saves itself and ruins the $850 footplate when it catches. Should be made of plastic.
Also the very top of the hanger I would like to be 1 to 2 cms lower to transfer easier. This is probably a personal preference.
Any comments or solutions welcomed. Russell
Attachments
IMG_0150.jpg
Wheelchair imaging 1
IMG_0155.JPG
Wheelchair imaging 2
Russell

Postby Burgerman » 25 Oct 2019, 04:43

The whole idea of a swing away footplate is to my mind a stupid, weak design that adds corners to any chair, meaning that they hit everything, and everyone as you try to manoever or get through a house or public place.

Second, they all appear to be designed by some imbicile that thinks we are all acrobats that can climb all over them to transfer from chair to bed etc. I too could never get past those sticky out things.

Thirdly, adding a load of tubing and metalwork below the bit where you foor goes means the same moron that designed that top bit did the bottom as well. Obviously theres a fight (A COMPROMISE) between the seat height, the length of your legs, and so the remaining ground clearance. The seat needs to be as low as possible, with an acceptable level of ground clearance. Also obvopus to me, is that the further FORWARDS the footrest is, the closer it gets to the deck when exiting ramps, or arriving at a curb cut etc. So it needs to keep your feet further back.

So with that in mind, the whole idea of centre footrest is better. Your heels can be between the front wheels. Not stuck out ahead of them where you need greater ground clearance. So to keep good stability, as well as not clobering the footrest on the deck, needs a low seat mounted 3 or 4 inches further back, and a centre footlate partially between the tyres, as well as no crap below the bit where your feet sit. And NO brackets and tubing stuck out in front of the seat to prevent transfering.

As such its all designed and positioned wrong! And a footrest should cost 30 to 70 dollars. Not hundreds! Thats absolutely rediculous.

This one is out of the way, hits nothing, especially door frames as you turn, and makes transfering easy!
And cost me about 30 dollars to make, add say 100 labour if you were greedy.
Attachments
roboteq1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 25 Oct 2019, 04:55

Or on my salsa bought chair viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455&start=600#p122818

All easy to transfer, and no corners to hit everything. And nothing under the footplate. And with the seat dump set to say 5 degrees, lots of ground clearance.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Swan T.W. » 25 Oct 2019, 15:37

Look at the Pride HD front riggings [legrests] with adjustable footplates.It would be easy to change over.Would measure your chairs footprint?
Swan T.W.

Return to Everything Powerchair