FWD vs MWD vs RWD - smoothest ride?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: FWD vs MWD vs RWD - smoothest ride?

Postby ex-Gooserider » 07 Jan 2020, 02:47

Some of the chair setup things are user-specific depending on disability issues - it might or might not be possible to do something with a center footrest given the issues you show with your feet... This is the sort of thing that you really need to work with your PT/OT types to make happen, along with the dealer.... The key I've found is not to let them tell you what you need, but to turn it around and tell them what you DEMAND, and put the job on them of figuring out how to make it happen....

Programming also involves a lot of personalizing, depending on just what you are capable of if your hand function is limited... BM's settings are fantastic but he also has extremely good control ability, a person with more limited function would probably want to tone some things down a bit... It is less an issue of strength than it is one of ability to precisely move - can you consistently and reliably move the stick from say 15% to 20% of range or to any other specified spot, or do you just slam it from one end of travel to the other? There are ways to set up the programming better than factory for either, but the approaches are different to some degree...

Dealers are a very mixed bag at best - there are a few very good dealers / techs that know what they are doing AND that will do what YOU want, rather than what THEY think is 'good for you' (often with the excuse that their liability insurance won't let them do what you want) but seemingly the larger majority are hacks that can't use a screwdriver without detailed instructions and photos about which end goes to the part and which goes in the hand.... (Often they are described as the guys that couldn't master the art of repairing lawnmowers and other outdoor power equipment....) The few that have competent dealers mostly get what they want, the rest of us hanged if we don't do it ourselves....

Also don't let the fact that you can't do something yourself be a total barrier - there is NOTHING on a chair that is all that complex and hard to fix, despite the manufacturer's efforts to convince us otherwise.... I have long suggested that if one is limited in personal abilities then it is worth trying to make connections into the local Ham Radio groups or see if there are any 'Maker-spaces' near you, both are likely to have folks that will be happy to help you out with DIY mods just to stretch their own skills. The key thing is to think of it as recruiting a set of 'hands' to do stuff for you, while you learn all the theory stuff that is needed to be the 'brains' that tell the 'hands' what to do....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2020, 12:43

I agree with all of that except this...

BM's settings are fantastic but he also has extremely good control ability, a person with more limited function would probably want to tone some things down a bit...

Youshould always set turn acceleration, and turn deceleration to max. If that is too "sharp" and you want to dull it down, do not change these from 100 percent. Reduce TURN SPEED instead. Theres never any good reason to have delays or accerations in the system. Most system still have 'some' delay or acceerations built into the turn commands even when set to max.

It should be the same as your car. Theres zero delay there. The steering is a solid mechanical link. If you turn the wheel, the car turns by the amount you choose. If you centralise the wheel, the car stops turning. Thats exactly what your chair should do. This is the same as TURN ACCELERATION and TURN DECELERATION.

Then if the steering is too quick, like a race go cart, then you need to slow the turn speed. So its slow like a car or a truck. Thats the same as TURN SPEED on a powerchair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby horsound » 10 Jan 2020, 19:22

Thanks for your posts ex-Gooserider, Burgerman, and jeffreyclay. I've been waiting for my physiotherapist to reply my questions, but it seems she doesn't know enough about the foot rests subject to really have an opinion.

In the meantime I mailed Permobil and Quickie, regarding the FWD vs MWD vs RWD ride confort, just to check their replies and start evaluating how fast they reply, and if they reply in detail, and so on, but so far I have no replies at all. It's still Christmas season, I guess, maybe that's the reason why they haven't yet.

A few days ago I also mailed two ''local'' powered wheelchair dealers directly, so I'm also waiting their reply.

thanks for the video, it's very interesting to see how the tire pressure really makes a difference. My current wheelchair doesn't have pneumatic tires on the front wheels, I'm hoping the next one will have them.

Rollin Positive wrote:100% Agree air is the only way to roll...being able to lower and add pressure as needed makes a world of difference.

Its also important if you roll with air tires to keep them filled right each month.

Air pressure is much different per tires and rider.

My F3 I have 29 lbs my v6 I use only 8 lb in the street and just 4 on the sand and beach.

Have latex in both sets of tires to help with punctures.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean with having ''latex in both sets of tires to help with punctures''?
horsound

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jan 2020, 20:29

I will elaborate for him.

Its quite common in bikes (bycycles) to add a puncture seal fluid. Theres literally hundreds. I use a special OFF ROAD version designed for slow vehicles. It has a large particle and fibre content, and can seal a hole up to half an inch or 12mm in a tubeless tyre.

Sealers - ALL of them, are sometimes effective in very small punctures on tube type tyres as used on bycicles and most powerchairs. But all the sealers work less well in tubes than in a tubeless tyre. So while these sealers may help with a tube, they are 100% garanteed to work on tubeless tyres (like a car, and my own powerchairs).

They MAY may help on a tube type tyre, but no garantees, in the case of a small puncture. So still worth doing as it may well get you home.
I use this one, because it seals quite large holes. Designed specifically for low pressure or slow / off road / site or farm use. https://www.oko.com/products/off-road-p ... n-bottles/
One 1250ml bottle will do a powerchair with plenty to spare! Ebay, Amazon, search OFF ROAD OKO SEALER

That stuff, in my tube free tyres, allows me to literally drill a hole or stab the tyre with a screwdriver, and still happily drive home. One revolution of the tyre and it seals itself. I use it in my caster tyres (with tubes) and it does seal small punctures.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Jan 2020, 03:23

Burgerman wrote:I agree with all of that except this...

BM's settings are fantastic but he also has extremely good control ability, a person with more limited function would probably want to tone some things down a bit...

<SNIP>
Totally agree on the details you mention - I was just trying to be brief when I said to tone SOME things (like turn speed) down - not all the settings, just the ones that are needed to make the chair appropriate for the user's control abilities (I could also see playing w/ things like how fast the chair accelerated / decelerated in a straight line for instance....)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair