My batteries etc. teach me a lesson

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

My batteries etc. teach me a lesson

Postby biscuit » 13 Jan 2020, 15:14

I got 8 x 40ah LiFePO4 cells for my little Vienna chair. And I regretted it because at 11.5kg it is almost as heavy as the lead was and completely unmanageable. So when I use my big heavy outdoor chair that I don't like, it will have to be an add-on pack for that.

Meanwhile I am letting my bank account recover from the encounters with
1 which is a bit fraught, but interesting) battery building, and
2 which is worse and totally pointless) Motability hanged

Then I'm getting some 12ah cylinder cells to put in the original battery case and I'll see how that goes. And I've reverted to the original seat for the chair, as the seat post weighed so much that it wasn't worth it with the lightweight replacement, freezing my butt off and going without the headrest and tilt.

I'm in no rush. As usual, I'm short of energy for messing about with wheelchairs. I'm considering with dismay the prospect of tightening the loose hinges on my mother's window.
biscuit

Re: My batteries etc. teach me a lesson

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jan 2020, 21:54

You wont like it and feel free to ignore. But here goes. my opinion for what its worth...

Seen this all before. Small portable chairs are useless mostly. They dont last, dont have the stability or range, murder batteries etc. And dont work outdoors. You may as well stop throwing good money after bad. You need a PROPER sorted, preferably lithium converted powerchair. And you need a proper vehicle to use it in. To drive fro a wheelchair if possible. And you may need to move to a house that you can use both the van (sensible driveway or some safe parking to get in/out and the proper powerchair into. A bigger joined up plan. Spend once, with a view to a proper solution and looking to the future and worst case.

Because right now you are wasting money trying to make the unsuitable work. Putting small fires out. When in the end you will throw all that away, and spend twice. Like me, after my accident, you need a big joined up plan. Not a load of small disjointed problems to try and solve. House needs space, one floor, wide entrances and doors, room to move in a room. And dark tiled floors/carpets, low maintainance plastics, wetroom, etc etc. SPACE to store chairs, and space to move. You cant do anything in a kitchen if you cant move away from units to open them and turn around easily etc. I removed a bunch of walls to make 3 rooms into one big one. For e.g. A big well thought through plan. Mine took a decade to accomplish.

In the meantime your 40Ah cells will make an addon for your bigger chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: My batteries etc. teach me a lesson

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jan 2020, 22:02

And...
Motobility is only for the rich that can afford to lease a brand new car every 3 years.
Nobody should be using motability. Again my opinion. You get ripped off because you are having and using a car on credit. Credit is costly, limits your choices, and you are forced to start all over again every 3 years... You never own anything.

It works out at least 3x the cost of buying your own. Keeping you poor and endlessely repeating the same mistake as you have no money to buy...

So no, no, no! :argument

Then I'm getting some 12ah cylinder cells to put in the original battery case and I'll see how that goes.

Presuming the old lead were 15Ah approx it will go around 25% or 30% better. Dont run them down too low once, or it will go 100% worse...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair